SM Book Club- H.G. Wells The Time Machine

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Motomom34, Jan 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

But all that plowing isn't needed. This is where knowledge trumps might....

[​IMG]
    no till gardening does work.

Yard Dart and Dont like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

When the TM was written, women did not openly (excepting the Queen, of course) participate in British society to the extent we see today.

Owing to that, I doubt that many women of the time would have read the book, unless it was from curiosity generated by the 'buss' (no idea what the Victorian equal would be) seen in the Press.

Q
    Returning to today - is this something that you think a YA woman would find worth reading?

@Motomom34 - did you find this book at all interesting -- past the look into a past and mostly dead society? WOuld you recommended it to a friend's daughter?

After all, the few women (Weena in particular) were portrayed as none too bright and not really attractive to the TT. In the movies, of course, Weena is shown a bombshell - as sex sells.
    [​IMG] Yvette Mimieux was in the 1960 movie as Weena. In the last remake (2002), Weena doesn't even appear.

Q
    If the movie were re-re-re-made today, who would you cast as the TT, Weena and perhaps, the Narrator?

While they are no longer with us, Edward Evert Horton or Rod Sterling would have made the most wonderful narrator. Mr. Horton at his prime would have fit the Victorian mold very well indeed.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Yes I did like the book very much. I enjoyed the first part because it is past activities that have gone by. The weekly meeting of gentlemen getting together to dine and discuss was interesting. They did not have instant access to the news nor communications that allowed people to discuss events and state of affairs. I liked the old fashion way. The time traveler was a character and I enjoyed the way the story was told. The drama/flair in which he described his travels was very well written.

I was talking to my Mom about this book last week. She said she hadn't read it in years but she remembered parts of it. She will be re-reading.

DKR likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7