SM Book Club: Tales of the Chernyi

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Motomom34, Jul 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I like that you research prior to writing. I watched a Euro movie on the Christmas tsunami. It was real eye opening the power of water and just trying to reconnect with loved ones took days. Seemingly impossible: Miracle survival of family who inspired new tsunami movie

One thing about the story that came to light is the length of time. He had a mental calculation as do many preppers of X amount of time to get home but Steve's journey to get out of the city was much longer due to obstacles. I have heard people say it will take me X time to get home, even I have calculated that but I question are we all prepared for 1-3 days extra due to obstacles?

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Turns out I'd mistakenly found the Toxaway Lake in the mountains of Idaho - makes my spirit soar and my knees ache looking through the various things I'd have to explore up there.
    upload_2017-7-31_14-26-7.

Shortly into the Steve Stone story we find Lake Toxaway is a much milder but still exquisitely beautiful area:
    upload_2017-7-31_14-32-7.

Witch Doctor 01 and Ganado like this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I agree with @Motomom34 that the time spent researching shows in the story. It opened my eyes a bit as to seeing things not so much for what they represent in ordinary use, but for their true utility value. This is a story i will re-read a few times. All in all given the scenario its a very realistic portrayal of what it would take to survive. The only thing I thought a bit off was having the MRE's in Steve's office, though it has me thinking they would be good to put in my vehicle kits.

Ganado likes this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

When I was still working full time in Cubeville, I kept a couple the Heater Meals in the desk. It finally came to me that Chicken a la Cat Vomit (Al-a king) was a better meal the Heater Meals. Now I just keep a couple on hand - SW Beans and rice and my Fav - Beef Brisket.

This for when the roads are at a complete standstill - like after the first snow of the season. Now, I just call in sick if it snows overnight. Sick of being stuck in traffic fro 3 or 4 hours to go less than 5 miles.

As for the story, I looked at a Japanese sized Tsunami, about 30 meters surge or so. Then looked at the topo maps for the coast - I was a bit surprised t see just how flat that part of the tidewater is in real life.

This was the first book where, at least a few times, I used real name-places that exist. It actually made it a bit easier to write parts of the story as I was able to 'fly over' the AO using Google Earth.

Anyone ready to give story 2, Jim Meade, a spin?

Ganado likes this.
  5. DKR

So, Jim decides he needs to get home and rather than fly out on a scheduled flight, hops in his rental van and books.

He picks up a few things, : food, a couple of shower curtains, a DeLorme Atlas and a blanket. What else could he have added before leaving the hotel?

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Not sure it was wise to drive vs. fly. Would it have been chaos vs. calm, one never knows. The atlas he got was a score. In both stories a map is a big deal. Since reading the stories, I have been looking for maps. When I go out of my immediate area I usually travel by highway but do not know the back roads. I know that the phone book used to have maps in them but many do not have phone books anymore. I have been looking and asking different places to borrow a phone book. I don't even have one in my home.

Jim should have taken a pillow case. Those are small and take up little room but if needed can carry a lot. Plus they can be used as a flag, bandage or you could strain water through it. He also should have took at least one washcloth in case he needed a thicker bandage or got blisters.

DKR likes this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

IMO flying would have been a mistake. It would have placed him square in the middle of a large crowd with no other transportation if flights were cancelled which they likely would have been in any large event. To me he approached it pretty logically - gather resources, use the transportation you can guarantee, avoid crowds, Not sure if I would have seen the opportunity to trade the van for a bicycle.

Agree on the pillow cases and even other bedding since he had transportation.

Ganado, DKR and Motomom34 like this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

An interesting comparison - I found the "The Road" is on Netflix, which is a post apocalyptic story starring Viggo Mortensen about a cross country journey. Being honed a bit from these stories it's easy to point out flaws like pushing a grocery cart full of stuff through the snow when it would be easier to carry the contents and Viggo sniffing the nozzle of a pump at a gas station to see if there is any gas - the event was months/years prior so any gas would be in the underground tank and likely not viable.

9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

States give away free maps at Rest Areas, fyi.

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I also doubted if that was a wise decision. It made sense but it was a risk. There was a threat of bad guys ahead but bad guys like to roam. The van offered shelter and quick transportation. Yes, gas would have run out but that could have been addressed down the road.

11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It does make me think about bringing bicycles on trips, though, even when I don't intend to ride them.

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I will also say, if SHTF I hope I acquire guns as easy as these fellas did. Free guns during the apocalypse is a good thing!

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

There are situations where giving a gun away can help your security, but I think you will only get free guns from bodies or found in wreckage/damaged homes. Unlikely I will be separated from guns unless I need to fly to a state like California on business. That's the only thing I can't make plans for. They don't let me drive any more, even though I showed them it's cheaper than flying and no rental car.

DKR and Motomom34 like this.
  14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Something I picked up in both chapters so far is that not everybody you meet will be out to kill you. There will be opportunities for mutual assistance in this type of circumstance, but you need to exercise a lot of caution. They standard post apocalyptic fiction tends to overuse raw excitement and also tends to make the main character a bit super human. I like the realistic human limitations and that sometimes it takes a lot of time to do relatively simple things. Even how a small bit of adverse weather can tie up up for a day, but its still an opportunity to take care of other business.

DKR and Motomom34 like this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am glad that you mentioned that because I believe that is a reality. I read to much about you against the world and everyone should be avoided. I do believe some people will keep their decency despite collapse.

16. DKR

Good point - I did offer something of a 'fig leaf'

The old guy at the gas station saw a chance to land some dough ($50) , right now for something he saw as 'less valuable'... While in college I worked at a gas station and all manner of firearms were offered in trade for for 'security' or payment against needed work. This, obviously, was back in the day before instant check and all matter of Fed Gov BS on buying and selling weapons private party to private party. Is it possible - I've done this. Today? Maybe not so much - I'd be worried about getting a hot gat or worse, one used in a killing.

The second - the fig leaf there - the couple was from Chiraq. DIdn't know anything about the pistol or that it had much in the way of ammo. The woman was clearly (I hope I made that clear) uneasy about having something 'illegal' at hand, despite fleeing the hiway. So, to them, it was something they could get rid of and maybe the other party saw it as useful.

My own mother refused to have any kind of weapons in the house, despite being raised by a father that was an avid bird hunter.... So, believable, to me anyway.

17. DKR

The meme here is that a bicycle is a stage two transport for if/when the auto craps out, runs out of gas - gets stuck in traffic. If I'm going to the far side of town, I carry my folding bicycle. Just in case....

While a common meme in some novels, I though it would make a good plot device to move the story forward - the same for Steve Stone. The second story (Jim) looked at how one could modify things to carry more hear on the bike. And where said modification items might be obtained. Small town dumps are a treasure trove for the DIY person. Now days, the EPA has stepped n to force better 'sanitation' and no doubt, prove to the hicks out in flyover country just who's in change here.....and don't you forget it....

Now - since the Inn manager was friendly - he offered up the map after all, JIm could have asked about a bicycle.

When stationed in Las Vegas (Nellis AFB) I had to frequently travel to SoCal inspect contract work done at the vendor's location - sort of an in-process inspection. I fought tooth and claw to drive one the unit's leased vehicles - one with two, large fuel tanks. Even at that, I still prowled around the neighborhood of our motel/hotel looking for places that had bicycles. Riding is always easier and faster than walking.

Motomom34 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  18. DKR

Many gas stations have promotional maps as well.

Some real Caution is advised - the maps are low-resolution and fail to provide much in the way of detail - as was pointed out. The old man at the gas station did provide some additional detail, - but they were better than nothing.

In Jim's case, had he downloaded some topo maps in advance and carried them on his phone or laptop - this would be less of an issue. This also brings up the point that a map really needs to have a compass to go with it....

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  19. DKR

This is more the case than not, esp out in the sticks - for the most part. In an urban area - the best mindset is - they are out to at least rob you and killing you to get what they want isn't out of the question..

See
    Stranded drivers robbed, shot on I-10 after car breaks down

Victim Robbed At Gunpoint In Edgehill Speaks Out

Man Changing Flat Tire Robbed At Gunpoint In NW OKC

An evryday thing in Chiraq - Driver robbed at gunpoint in Oak Park

20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I have a collection of topographic Atlases for most of the western states. The appropriate ones travel with me by car, because I'm always curious about what is over that hill over there. The only downside is that they aren't as available anymore that everything is done over the Internet and the roads get out of date in time. They are also add weight and bulk if you need ti carry them along with other gear.

As for compasses, you can use an analog wristwatch for this. Set the time to standard (DST will mess it up), and point the hour hand at the sun. Halfway between the hour hand and noon will be due south (due north in the southern hemisphere).

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7