SM Book Club: Tales of the Chernyi

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Motomom34, Jul 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I did not finish the last story. It had comms talk in it and that stuff puts me to sleep, literally. But I think communications on a more basic level is essential. I just downloaded Zello, which is like a walkie-talkie. I had a real issue figuring it out and had to google how to use instructions. The other day I was reading a how to on making Morse code box from an Altoids tin. It was simplistic and basic, very old fashion. Morse code has been around forever and there is a reason for it; because it works. Communications is my downfall and often it is so far over my understanding level, I just give up. I think when approaching communications, I am going to have to approach it like biology.

Way off subject of the story but.....
    I had a horrible first year bio teacher, I do not think many got an A in that class. So when I started second year biology, nothing made sense because my base learning was not solid. So one weekend, I got out the old first year bio book and started teaching. I learned the steps that had been glossed over. I did great in bio two once I had the solid base. Back to my point- I think with comms we often look to the latest and greatest radios and programs etc. But I am beginning to think that getting the base knowledge, the start of communications is the vital knowledge. Once all the Zellos, HAM radios etc break or stop working, people are going to have to revert back to the basic comms and that brings me to the last story in this book. These are the communications that I need to explore because these are the ones that have been tested and used over time, they work. I would have said that I like the first story the best but this last story is the one that really exposed were I as a person need to focus. I know what is needed and am researching where to start. IMO this is the most important story because after all the fancy communications are no longer an option, now what do you do?

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Waiting for other to catch up before sharing thoughts that might contain spoilers. I will say that the thought of the world turning out less like a Mad Max movie is a bit refreshing.

Out of curiosity do we ever find out in the series just what the Chernyi was? There are hints spread throughout what I have read so far (books 1 & 2, plus Tales) but still a mystery if it was a natural or man (or other) made.

Ganado likes this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'll be the first one to say that I'm not a HAM enthusiast, just like I'm not a shovel enthusiast. I'm not one to spend a single second on a phone call longer than needed just like I don't dig holes just for fun. My intention is to be a positive part of my community by volunteering for emergency/disaster communications. A side benefit is if you are helping to disseminate information you are also in the loop when things get real when they are closer to home.

To get your license I strongly suggest HamTestOnline. Go to the web page and use the free test drive to get a feel for how it works. It will adjust it's focus points to the things you are weak in while still exercising the things you have down a bit better. A half an hour or so each day and you will be ready for the test sooner than you think. The cost of the courses is about what you would pay for a written manual. Of course, you can keep the manual, but while tech aspects will stay the same, the regulations can and will change over time. I wound up getting some older ARRL books for free when I mentioned to some friends I was studying, so now I have the technical reference part covered. Anything newer than what is in those books will likely be irrelevant come SHTF, and until then it's all on the Internet.

When I passed my exams I mentioned to the VE's that I needed operational experience, was interested in emergency and disaster communications, and would like to join one of the local clubs to help get my feet wet. Two days ago they invited me to join theirs (as soon as I get my call sign) and to help out during the Mountain Lake 100 run. The run is a one hundred mile race on mountain trails (I think they are using the Pacific Crest and Oregon Skyline trails) between Olallie Lake and Timothy Lake and back. I'll be stationed at Timothy lake and reporting runners and potential first aid requests to a controlled network. Operationally I would think it's similar to participating in emergency/disaster comms.

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

About the Chernyi - in the first book, there is a strike from deep space. Since all too many books go off the deep end on EMP, total thermonuclear war etc, I thought having the earth sideswiped by alien space junk (a starship that broke up ages before it passed by Earth & some of the pieces parts hit the moon) would be different. The explanation was offered as a sub-text in the original (V1.0) publishing of the book.

Based on feedback from my Beta readers and some folks who purchaser the book, those parts were removed to enhance the 'mystery' - any old world-wide disaster would have worked, but the idea of the equivalent to a drunk Guamanian in a '53 Chevy sideswiping the planet held a certain appeal. And now, with 6 books out, it's a bit late to re-do the cause of the disaster....

If nothing else, it is better that alien space bats in orbit.... (yes, that has been used, just not by me)

3M-TA3 likes this.
  5. DKR

@3M-TA3 I used to work the Baker to Vegas (police) run for a number of years. Good way to meet folks, score a cool sweatshirt maybe and expose you to the chaos that always seems to exist at the start of any of these events. Sounds like it could be fun. I don't so any PSA / fundraisers any more as most events are here in town and everyone loves their cell phones/tweets and such.....

As for the other, it's a hobby for me and I got paid to play with radios and comm gear for most of my adult life. Still seems like magic that I can have a conversation with some random dude on the other side of the planet using less energy than a flashlight...

3M-TA3 likes this.
  6. DKR

@Motomom34
    By yourself, not much. Having a working, all band, receiver will at least let you hear what is still left out there. Once thing get a bit more normalized, wireless (radio) will become king again, I believe.

Cell phone are so prevalent in 'developing' countries simply because there is no embedded wireline comms.

If you think about it, the US (and most of North America) had a com provider that was a monopoly - and they laid down a lot of copper. That is 80s (1880s) technology and labor intensive, hence it is going away - replaced by wireless.

In a wide-area disaster, conventional wireline infrastructure is unlikely to be replaced - just too expensive. And so the use of wireless will continue to grow - folks not wanting cell towers in their neighborhoods not withstanding.

The use of CW allows the use of - not simple, but uncomplicated - equipment with a very good intelligence to watt ratio. Modes like PSK31 (phase-shift keying, 31 Hz) offer even better S/N rations but require extremely frequency-stable radios and working CPU based terminals to work.

I'll post a photo in a bit of my tiny comm setup that I backpack with.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Motomom34 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@DKR You never know - I might find the seeds of a hobby here as I am a techno junkie if not a big talker. I do have to give Tales credit for giving me the inspiration to get off my arse and get my license.

DKR and Motomom34 like this.
  8. DKR

This is a MFJ-9200, CW transceiver, and it can listen to classic SW and SSB stuff on the ham bands.
    The package with 8xAA batteries, antenna and all the other jazz to make it work weighs in at just over 2 lbs. The carry cases weigh more than the equipment. This gives me 5+ watts on any one of 6 ham bands with enough overlap to hear commercial SW stuff (like the BBC, etc). Cost of the rig - $229, one of the best deals going. Add a set of 8 or 10 AA batteries (or an auto lighter cord) , earbuds, a key and some wire for an antenna and you are on the air. The eyeglasses give you an idea of size.

This is a set of pics of a FT-817 and a NEU-PSK modem. This gives me 5+ watts on all ham bands to include the VHF and UHF bands of 2 M and 70 cM.
    Modes include CW, SSB, PSK-31, RTTY and the rig also covers DC to daylight for receiving - in CW/SSB/FM/AM and all in a small package. With (big!)battery, whip antenna and modem - the full package come in at just over 10 pounds and most of that weight is the SLA battery.

9. DKR

@3M-TA3 looks like the thread has gone toes up, I would like to hear your thoughts on the story.

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I like the way that the stories in Tales are interwoven as are the first three books in the series.

As to Lyle and his adventures, we start be seeing that enough time has passed for a normalization of sorts has happened. People have become much more self reliant and are using methods that pre-date a dependence on electricity and for the most part powered machinery. Because many devices such as the motorcycle still rely on gas or diesel there must be some oil refinement going on since this is well past the storage life for either. Enough technology in the form of vehicles, arms, and communications equipment has survived that they can be leveraged. The operational parts of the legacy technology are used sparingly, but are still being used enough that spare parts are slowly being used up as devices and machines are cannibalized to keep things going.

Radio communications plays an important role in keeping families, communities, and businesses aware of what is happening, though anybody can listen in on the messaging, which is primarily CW to conserve energy. Lyle was chosen for his job that was more about intelligence gathering than keeping the herd safe, though at the beginning he thought it was the opposite.

We learn about the breakup of the US into different territories, mostly in the West, while southern areas need attention to keep them in line as sides play political chess.

Lyle learns a great deal about opsec when he chooses a place to camp that was too good to be true that the raiders were obviously expecting him to find. He should have known better since he had already been located in a much less visible camp. He also learns that even in relatively simple times that many people are not what they seem starting with his employer, father, and the people he meets in transit as well as his contacts.

I've mentioned it before, but worth repeating that IMO your Chernyi "world" is a lot more realistic scenario than most fiction of this genre.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Now THAT'S opsec!

12. DKR

The story envisions a "new America" The entire east coast @ tidewater is destroyed and most of the population killed in massive tsunamis (very much like Japan)

"The South" kicks out all vestiges of the FedGov. Texas declares it's independence once again (of course) and the far west is a sort of Ecotopia... California having been 'retaken' by Neuvo Mexico. The Mexican try that in Texas -with far different results (this is in Book 6, The Fisher People)

In the end, parts of Canada are 'absorbed' into the new Union and until elections can be held, the Provisional Military Government (PMC) is running things. Centers of resilience exist today - areas that have power/farming/industry and raw materials. The Inter-mountain West - specifically the Wasatch Front comes to mind with oil, refining, manufacturing, coal, iron reserves and so on in close proximity - it is one of the first areas to restore order and reach out to help other areas.

It took 3 full books to set up the basic premise and another two to explain some of the finer points. But, not everyone is a monster, many work - very hard - to restore a union where people can live.
    The series still needs a book on the PNW - and how that evolves. BTW, this is where the Chinese try a takeover.

The series actually envisions an almost complete population collapse (at about year 2) in most areas - over all almost 2/3 of the population disappears. The Four Houseman of this Apocalypse show no favors..... Famine, disease, violence and despair really take their toll..

Europe and Asia stories exist in outline. Sadly, despite my hopes, the ROI has been...thin.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    3M-TA3 likes this.
  13. DKR

@3M-TA3
    Thanks for the comments. Most the of stuff out on the market for "post-disaster/SHTF" fiction is more akin to Fantasy genre than realistic, sad to say. Too many people are influenced by this fiction and think if they have a stack of guns, a pile of ammo and the address of the nearest Mormon Elder and they are covered.

The next two stories have no survival oriented memes, so this book discussion is - near as I can tell closed.
    Mike Hardesty - Everybody has a new way to make a living, even in the
    (restored) Republic of Texas. Working with his partner and mentor, AJ Bell, Mike has to solve a mystery in order to get his girl. A who done it, with a twist.

Sethur Silver - An orphan from the Before. Ten years into the future, and it seems that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Follow Sethur as he tried to help The Folk from Avondale find a new home - a home away from the chaos.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  14. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I have been into other things recently but finished this last night (the two stories above). I wouldn't say the conversation/ thread is closed because sometimes it's nice to discuss something other than inventory and ammo.

I liked the skills presented in the Mike story, and habe always been interested in tracking and all that goes with it, like how to estimate size and weight from footprint impressions, etc.

I also appreciated that AJ and Mike were sceptical and methodical and used their heads rather than just guns all the time.

15. DKR

AJ Bell is my vision of a modern day Texas John Slaughter.
    These characters appear in both Aftermath and to a much larger extent in the Fisher People.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  16. DKR

Did you find the story believable?

17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@DKR BTW - currently reading Aftermath. I really like the way the stories are interwoven in the first three books in the series. You must have envisioned all the interactions between the characters in the first three before starting the first book. It's sort of like looking at all the gears and springs working in a mechanical watch. IMO you really don't charge enough for your books, so some potential readers may be passing on them for that reason.

18. DKR

Thank you for the kind words.

It was a very big book broken into 3 smaller books. I will, at some point, consolidate the first 3 into a super volume. The first five books were basically practice for the next book I put out - Roll Call. A Space opera sort of Scifi story that follows a young man from this life in a rural ghetto, his time in the Imperial Marines to becoming an Agent for the Empire. I have the second book in that arc at about 80% complete.

After that came A Man Out of Place - an alternative universe kind of story. There is an outline for a follow on book. I'll have to admit - once I started on Man Out of Place - I couldn't stop... Some days I put in 10 to 12 hours on the keyboard, it just seemed to write itself.

The Fisher People is the longest of the WoC series. It clearly shows the 1 million+ words preceding in prior works and has been very well accepted. It explores the creation of the New Republic of Texas. Lots of fun to research.

It has been fun writing these - and my work in Technical non-fiction has seen a real improvement - but as a money maker, the fiction books have been...disappointing. Considering the WoC started as a750 word exercise in dialog, I'm still surprised more people don't give this a spin.

Once I retire-retire, I'll likely get busy on these once again. With Amazon, sales/support have been a very low-cost endeavor and without Amazon as an outlet, I doubt I would have even started. I will also have to admit to many a sleepless night as I pondered what could happen if too many of the little wheels came off the wagon, and caused the bigger wagon to stop running.....

Again, thanks for your kind words.

19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Do I find the stories believable? For some yes but for most no. What I mean is that most will not have the luck and knowledge. Your stories gave me a sense that if SHTF and I am prepared, then my journey after crisis will not be as harsh as it could be. Your stories showed me that having simple preps with you at all times can truly make a difference. Basically, no cannot ever take a day off and leave their EDC bag at home because there is no guarantee that things will be fine.

Though I would love to read a book on the people eating dirt and really not doing well post-SHTF, I appreciate books that sort of pat me on the back and let me know, my knowledge and what I am doing could save me if an incident happened. That is how I look at things. Oh, plus your book did inspire some thoughts and research on.... like making a cart or folding something that can easily fit in the car.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  20. DKR

This is why the books are listed under Fantasy subsection in Amazon. I don't sell a lot of copies, but have hit the top 100 authors more than once. Sorta weird.

Motomom34 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7