SM collaboration knife????

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Cousin Jack, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Cousin Jack

Cousin Jack Knifemaker Founding Member

I'm just throwin' out an idea....Who would be interested in making a Survival Monkey collaboration knife?

This is a project that anyone or everyone could take part in. [winkthumb] We would need design ideas, someone to provide the steel, someone to grind the blade, make the handle, set the guard, make a sheath, etc. etc. etc....

We also need to decide what to do with the finished product. Do we auction it off, have a raffle, or something else?

Well guys and gals...what do you think?

2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'd be in. I've got about 19 projects going on but they should be well along by the time this gets going. Heck it's midnight and I'm about to grind 9 knives! [boozingbuddies]

3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

I'll help in any way that I can.... got some nice stabilized woods, Sanbar Stag rounds and some cool textured G10 in black, blue, green and hunter orange..... also willing to give input.... for whatever that's worth....

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

SOunds like a cool idea :D

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

They tell me that a camel is nothing but a horse designed by a committee, so how about naming it the SM Camel?

6. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's what I love about this place...always at least one good comedian in the bunch.

Seriously, sounds like a lovely idea to me.

7. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

Cool !!! I'll run a file over it :D !!!!!!! Sounds like a great idea !

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sounds cool!

9. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

BTW, If we have someone with a forge that could hammer a rod into a flat that could be used for the knife I could PROBABLY come up with some titanium pretty reasonable. IIRC most of the rods they use like in a shatered leg or anything are titanium or at least used to be and found out when my buddy died that the crematoriums toss that stuff in a barrel and sell it for scrap, so could likely get some that way pretty cheap, just have to make it into a shape that could be ground. :dunno: [beer]

10. Cousin Jack

Cousin Jack Knifemaker Founding Member

Okay....Let's see if we can agree on a design.

Is this going to be a utility knife or something else?

11. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I wouldn't use Titanium - you can't heat treat it (well you can but it won't get any harder) so it doesn't make a great knife. Plus it's a total biotch to grind!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7