Small Area

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by rustyb380, Jan 7, 2012.

1. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Goinpostal's idea has worked well against the hoa nazi enforcers......................I mean.........I heard from a guy who knew a guy. Try to get photo evidence and send it in anonymously. JBTs love busting people for frivolous crap.

2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Consider renting a gardent spot... it bypasses all of the agnst of the HOA.... or become a co-gardener with another person who has a garden.... swap labor for produce... win-win...

tulianr likes this.
  3. BLKFJDC

BLKFJDC Monkey

I am not a distributor. My wife and I have been on Juice Plus for years and our distributor turned on us on to the tower garden. I too would rather dig in the dirt as I grew up on a small farm but this was our best solution living in an apartment. So far it's easy, fun, and fast. No complaints yet

4. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Boxes, baskets, tubs, etc. All good ideas. It might be a bad time to try and sell right now, but it's going to get worse again. My boss has been buying and selling for over 30 years, and she was right the last time the market crashed. Does the HOA allow flower gardens?

5. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Here's an idea I'm considering. Container gardening, though using a little different "container". First, go to http://www.growerssupply.com and look up "Aero Soft Grow Containers" (without the quotes). These mesh style bags are supposed to work pretty well, and are inexpensive to purchase, especially compared to plastic or ceramic pots! They also come in sizes ranging from 3 to 30 gallons, so you should be able to grow pretty much anything out there.
    Not sure how easy they'd be to move around, but I'm sure an enterprising person could figure out how to do it. ;)

6. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Aero Soft Grow Containers - Growers Supply

Might work out. I've got a local source of 'snap pools' they have a rigid outside, and a plastic bottom you can puncture, or remove. Not perfect, but cheap and easy.

natshare likes this.
  7. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I would do 4x8 raised beds with untreated pine lumber. The wood is cheap and won't kill you, the raised bed will allow you to use soil better than what's there (making better use of space), and weeding will be cut down.

Look for square foot gardening plans online for 4x8 planters. There is a ton of plans on what to plant.

8. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I built mine, 3 years ago, using 2x6 pressure treated pine for the sides, and corner posts made from 4x4 pressure treated pine. So long as you ascertain that the pressure treating did NOT use certain chemicals (arsenic, etc), you're good to go.

So far, they're holding together really well. No idea whether they would do so if I tried to move them, though! LOL

I used stainless steel decking screws, 3-1/2 or 4 inches long, to hold everything together. Do yourself a favor, and spend a little more to find the ones that have the square hole driver, as they'll tend to drive all the way through without the bit skipping (like a Phillips head will). The containers I got, from Lowes, had the bit in the container, so I didn't have to go find or buy one. :cool:

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

All my flower boxes and planters have been turned into food gardens. I changed the dirt and now have kale planted in the boxes that used to hold marigolds and petunias. Purple kale is pretty. I have seen old wooden barrels cut in half growing peas and green beans,the barrels were placed in the flower garden so if you looked past the roses, you would see a pretty pea plant.

PS- I would never live in an HOA, people keep trying to start one in our neighborhood but keep failing to get the support. Most people don't care if their mailboxes match.

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Avocado_tree

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    I love the end of summer.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 10, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Smells heavenly
  7. Alanaana
    Avocadoes
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I think it's 20lbs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Is coffee better than bananas?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
    Sugarloaf White Pineapples are my favorite!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 11, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle Vibes

This is the driveway at the front of my property.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Dunerunner
  19. Dunerunner
  20. Dunerunner
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7