Small Diesel Generator

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BenP, Jun 18, 2018.

1. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Yeah, I like to work in the evening and at night if I'm on the roof or bush hogging with the tractor. Sometimes on the weekend I will bush hog until 11PM then get up at 4AM and go do it again until 9 or 10AM. It helps keep the equipment cool. :)

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Got one more string online , saw a noon harvest of 5000 watts for a total of 30 Kwh when finished I should see 65Kwh and a full battery bank by 10Am . This is grid-Tie & battery off grid (as they say ,this don't work ) !
    Running Conext XW+ , two Outbacks , one trace , and a few brats with a Morningstar SS300.
    The numbers are only from the Conext-XW+ . The other systems are stand alone & run the AC & the seven 25 CF deep freezers & fridges .

Sloth

3. BenP

BenP Monkey++

5000w is impressive! I think I can do about 2300w right now in good conditions. It has been raining non stop here for a few days and I have not been able to get back on the roof to install more. I have had to run the generator at night to keep up with my air conditioner.

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I am really sure I prefer a swamp cooler to AC, it requires far less energy . It's only draw back is high humidity and 3 digit heat.
    I am contemplating building a car port using solar panels as a roof .I'm seeing it done more and more around here.
    Done right one could at least arrange the supports so that during the winter the panels can be aimed more southerly and during the summer lay almost flat . A pair of long hydraulic rams and a pump should be sufficient .

5. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I run the AC mostly to remove the humidity. If we do not run the AC the humidity will climb into 80% withing a couple days and things start to mold. Obviously it is not a problem in the winter.

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I as well , how much H2o are you using ??
    Since I need to pump H2o and then power a fan , seer 22 is better in my eyes.

Sloth

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  7. BenP

BenP Monkey++

My Onan 5CCK quit working again. I was hauling hay last night until about 11 and when I came home the family had run the batteries down pretty low with the AC so I started up the generator and it would not stay running. I switched it to pull start mode and it would keep running but would not generate any power. I assume it needs brushes or something but I think I need a second generator just in case, so now I am back in the market.

8. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

ran across these two outfits >>>> just little different than the usual offerings

Bolton Power Equipment USA.....Generators

DIESEL GENERATORS | AURORA Diesel Generators

apache235 and BenP like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Onan small Gensets that will only run with the Start Switch held in Start Mode, are NOT Generating any Juice from the Genend.
    There is a Run Relay in the Engine Control System that is held ON by the Generated 12Vdc from the Starter Circuit, and if there is NO Generated 12Vdc, the Relay does NOT Close, and the Ignition doesn't get any Power.... If you PM me the complete Model Number I can send you a copy of the 'wiring Diagram for your Genset...

10. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Thank you! I started looking at it last night and the brushes still look good, I thought it must be something along those lines.

I found a Robin RGD5000 locally for $600, I am going to go look at it tonight. It would be nice to have something that runs on diesel, I have lots of diesel around the farm.

11. BenP

BenP Monkey++

It is arcing a lot from under the shield, it glows white in the dark.

12. BTPost

Clean Commutator, and Slip Rings and Install New Brushes if needed.....

13. BenP

BenP Monkey++

They look good but I will pull them out one at a time tonight and inspect them.

14. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I looked at the brushes and it seems they may need to be replaced. I tapped on each of them then started the generator and sprayed all of the contacts with a little WD40 and it worked fine. I will look around and see if I can find brushes for it.

IMG_20180716_214037.

15. BTPost

Built in March 1987, and is a Spec "J".... If you ask over in the Onan Forum @smokstak.com someone will send you the Onan Build Sheet for this specific Generator Set....

BenP and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Well, I picked up a massive (mep-004a) diesel generator for $750. It is much larger than we need but the price was right. Now if I can get it out of my truck.... IMG_20181004_094010.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I would build a platform that might also serve as a generator shed that you could just back the truck up to and slide it across . in the event you need to trade it off it is just as easily removed ..
    below deck battery banks and support supplies and access to service the generator might make it more accessible .

18. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I put it on a concrete pad but it is probably only a foot off the ground. The tractor handles it surprisingly well.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. BTPost

If you doubled the height above the Concrete, it will make Routine Maintainance (LubeOil &Filter changes) a whole lot easier, on your back... Let gravity be your friend...

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

it would also keep the snow under some control. (Assuming a proper outdoor install, with a slight crown for draining off rain.)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. techsar
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Generator FAQ 2001