Small Diesel Generator

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BenP, Jun 18, 2018.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My Titan 6500 watt is 120/ 240 volt . I don't know that it has AVR but I would assume so. every thing runs on it correctly .
    Most early generators are mechanically governed to match the needs of 60 hertz, a poor but effective method for control.
    Newer stuff has an inverter so they can run virtually at any speed and only rev up to supply amperage ,which is very fuel efficient .
    If I had the money I would build a diesel with inverter controls ,providing optimum efficiency for the fuel reserves.
    There are some new battery /capacitor systems that are going to turn around the power industry . Had I the money I would jump into it right now. Capacitors charge in a split second and apparently some one has developed the means to temper the discharge.
    For me this is an exciting time in power manufacturing and preservation and distribution and though I am not a electronics nerd I enjoy playing with it all.

Alf60 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. BenP

BenP Monkey++

This thing is 3000w which is perfect for me, the batteries draw about 1500w when they are charging. Usually my wife takes the opportunity to wash clothes when the generator is running which adds another 300-500w and it is usually shower time so the water heater kicks on and draws another 400w. I am hoping to see a big fuel savings over my 30kw mep-005a, that thing drinks the fuel.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Sometimes when I get something new I like to test it.
    As with a generator, I set up an external amp meter or two or three, (one per leg), and start loading up and just see how things go.
    Most equipment is over rated no matter who makes it.
    With that in mind, be gentle .
    Remember that stuff with motors pull up to 3 times their running loaded amperage . refrigerators air conditioning and so forth.
    Avoid at all costs running an air compressor from a generator as they tend to diminish it's life .
    If you tend to use compressed air a lot get one with a Gas engine and constant speed controls . please don't jerry rig .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Your Onan 3.0DJA is a true 3000 Watt Genset the engine will run out of HP @ about 3.25Kw but it will run 3Kw all daylong, and Sunday as well... If you had the MDJA (Water cooled version) the Genend Wiring will get hot at about 3.5Kw but the engine will still have some poop left... This series of Onan Diesel Gensets are built to run, with just routine Maintenance... I have a Contractor version DJA, that just needs a Rear Main Crankshaft Seal replaced, and it will be moved up to the New Place, and into the Powerhouse...
    One thing to watch is the “Flicker Switch” ... It shorts out a resistor in the Field Winding except on the Power Stroke of the Engine... this helps keep the 60 Cycle Lights from a Slight flicker on the Power Stroke of the single Cyl. Engine.... It is activated by a lobe on the Camshaft, with a small pushrod thru the side of the block.. It is buried behind the Oil & Fuel filters, on the block...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Yeah, I ruined my air compressor running off of my Onan 5CCK. It was winter and the generator was cold, it started surging and before I could get to the air compressor to shut it down the electric motor on the air compressor let it's smoke out. I switched to one with a gas motor. I have thought about re-powering my old AC one with a gas engine but I have never gotten around to it.

Gator 45/70 and Homer Simpson like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Electric air compressors and generators are natural enemies.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Well, as these things go my wife ran the dryer for a couple hours around dusk/dark last night and I came home to some low batteries. I went out to start the generator (MEP-005A) and the fan belt had apparently broke last time I ran it. With no time to look up part numbers and go find a new belt I was forced to add a 9000w Predator to my generator collection. I have all the filters to get my new Onan up and going but at 7:45 PM a trip to Harbor Freight was pretty much my only option.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

I sorta hate to ask this, but is her maiden name Murphy? :) (Or was it you that forgot spares ---[peep])

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I knew I was running a risk with only one generator functional and it came back to bite me. :)

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Maytag made a gas engine washing machine.
    I got to thinking that with a simple engine one cold run both washer an dryer and use the heat off the engine to heat the dryer.

Gator 45/70, BenP and Tempstar like this.
  11. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Mine makes hot water off the exhaust when I run it, but it's back up and not off grid.

12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

That is genius .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If you think about it there is a lot of wasted energy coming off the small engine that could be exploited .

Gator 45/70 and BenP like this.
  14. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I got that old Onan 3.0DJA running (see attached video) last night. I have been working on it when I have time and my neighbor has been helping me. We changed all the filters and bled the air out of the fuel system. Below is a video of me starting it. It had no feet so it was trying to vibrate across the floor, you can see me trying to hold it in the video. I made some feet for it out of an old trailer tire. I need to figure out an exhaust and how to connect it to that big fuel tank sitting next to it. I started it by submerging the fuel lines in a solo cup of diesel. I checked the power output and it is making 260 volts which is too high, I should be able to slow down the engine RPMs and bring it down. It was originally a train caboose generator, once I get it all setup it will be a backup for our house. IMG_20191201_171035. IMG_20191201_171103.

Attached Files:

Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  15. BTPost

Head on down to the NAPA Store and buy some Flex PIPE, about a foot should do... Then weld it to a set of nipples, that fit the Pipe Thread of the Onan's exhaust that you have, one on each end.... Use High Temp NeverSez on the threads, and connect the MufflerExhaust System to the Output end of the Flex.... If you do NOT do this you are going to pay a TON of money to a Fabricator, down the road, when the Onan Exhaust Manifold Cracks and breaks from the vibration..... Just a warning....

16. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I have had our little Onan in service for a couple of months now and I love it. It starts every time and just chugs along without complaint. I found a big fuel tank for it that holds about 60 gallons of diesel and had some hydraulic lines made up to connect the tank and the generator. We usually draw 1500-2500 watts to charge the batteries, make a tank of hot water and dry a load of clothes and this thing works perfectly.
    Screenshot_20200423175450.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Merkun, oldawg, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  17. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Since our house is partially underground it stays pretty cool with minimal air conditioning. However, I have recently removed most of the dirt from the sides of the house in order to add on some bedrooms for the kids which is causing the temperature to rise inside. In order to counter the rise in temperature I have been running the air conditioner and generator at night and I am amazed a how little fuel this generator uses. It is only about a 500w load but it runs all night most nights with no complaint and very little fuel.

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Can you not suck down the temp during the day and when the day work / dinner ends have the house cool enough for the night ? as We do , when we get heat (Canada) white north !!
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. BenP

BenP Monkey++

We usually cool it off during the day with solar power and leave the air conditioner off at night but with the exterior walls exposed to the sun right now we cannot cool it off.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. BTPost

@BenP Do you have all the Manuals for your Onan 3.0DJA? If not, I can send you a set in PDF format...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. techsar
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Generator FAQ 2001