Small Diesel Generator

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BenP, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Ben Go for it , Mr BT helped me out big time
    @BenP

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Paint em white?

BenP likes this.
  3. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Where's Tom Sawyer when you need him? (Well, his "helper" anyway.)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I need them. One leg of the generator started making 96v so I took the cover off and found the bearing in the end of the generator is about to fail and one of the capacitors has a broken wire.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

PM me a good eMail Address that can accept large attachments and I will get them to you... The Caps are just for Noise suppression on the DC Windings, and just about anything will work, for that... I finally got my 12.3Kw 3Cyl 1800Rpm Lister installed in the PowerHouse, today.. Tomorrow I will get the Radiator Cooling vent cut in, and the Exhaust/Muffler System set up, and the try her out... Pictures at 11:00.....
    786410FD-18B1-4A87-AE02-BFFC61104AB0.

12.3 Kw Lister LW3 1800Rpm Diesel Genset

A002BC3B-A926-4AB5-B65D-F0B7B6AF8B6D.

2.5Kw Fairbanks/Morse 45B Single Cyl. 1200 Rpm Diesel Genset

C86B57C7-9B1A-49E9-844B-05EDA82BACD1.

Trace 4048 SineWave Inverter/Charger and the 5Kw Preditor 3600 Rpm Gasoline Genset..
    There is a Trace 5548 SineWave Inverter/Charger that will be mounted just under the 4048....
    and the Batteries will go on the floor, under the Inverters...

Gator 45/70 and BenP like this.
  6. BTPost

02514DFC-A1C6-4FF6-87E0-C251C068BC26.

Today I finished the Exhaust/Muffler install on the 12.3 Kw Lister LW3 Genset.. Got it wired into the Breaker Panel.. reapired the Fuel Filter mounting Bracket that got smushed while we were getting it up on the platform, yesterday... Only issue left to resolve is apparently somewhere along the line, from moving it up here, from the Port Shop, where we did the Test Run, we broke the Battery feed Wire to the Control Box... When I fix that, I should be able to fire it up, and bring it online... Ah, Saturday’s Project... Pictures @ 11:00

BenP, ghrit and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. BTPost

Spent the afternoon, working on the Lister LW3... Found the 12Vdc Wire that brings the 12Vdc from the Starter to the Control Panel had an open circuit... So I built a temporary Bypass and got power to the Control Box.. The Oil Pressure Bypass started working, and the Rack Solenoid was now pulling in... Then I hit the Starter Button, and “Nothing” zip nada... Checked that wire from the Control Box to the Starter Solenoid Coil... Dang another open circuit... So, I built another ByPass Jumper Wire and hooked it up... Then it now Cranks.. Rigged the Fuel Line and Return Line, and manually pumped the Fuel Pump, a bunch, until I got fuel coming out the Reurn Line... Hit the Oil Pressure ByPass Button, Rack Solenoid pulled in... Hit the Starter Button, and it crancked good,... and tried to start, but not quite... Gave the Air Intake a quick shot of Starting Juice, and then repeated the Starting procedure, and got a couple of Pops, and then Varoom.... We gots us a Runner...I was pleasantly surprised at the noise level compared to the 3600Rpm Gas Screamer... I wasn’t sure that it was really turning @ 1800 Rpm, it was so quiet... Turned around and turned on the Breaker that brings this Generator online, but with the Load Breakers all OFF... Turned on just the PowerHouse Breaker, first, and checked the Voltage, @ Cycles... 120Vac @ 64Hz... Then brought the Garage & Blue Cabin online, same readings... Then the Showerhouse and Brown Cabin, and 120Vac @ 63Hz... No change in noise, detected, but everything was lite up... Let it settle in and then adjusted the governer to bring the Cycles down to 62Hz, and still pooping along at 120Vac... After about 1.5 Hours the Rack Solenoid let go and it shut down the Genset. Oil Pressure was 30 Psi, and Cooling Temp was about 175F.. So not sure what the issue was, but it started right back up, and contined on or anoher hour, with no issues...Monday, I will order a couple of LubeOil Filters and Fuel Filters, and do a Routine Maintainance Proceedure on it, and then slowly increase the run hours, while carefully checking things out... and see how it goes... but we gots a Running Genset...

8. BTPost

3D5EA235-E958-4EED-A741-A8FA7BE638DB.

Lister LW3 12.3Kw 1800 RpmDiesel Genset Installed in Power House...

franks71vw likes this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

This I would change out, The low oil pressure break switch....

10. BTPost

Yea, I suspect that is the issue with the premature Shutting Down, but first I want to do a Routine Maintaince Cycle & LubeOil & Filter change...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Well my Predator stopped making power a few weeks ago but I had purchased the extended warranty when I bought it so I went down to Harbor Freight and traded it for a new one. I purchase another extended warranty for the new unit.

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. techsar
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Generator FAQ 2001

Generator FAQ, By Steve Dunlop. [img]