'Smart' Rifles

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Yard Dart, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

U.S. military begins testing ‘smart’ rifles | Fox News

You could buy a lot of weapons..for the cost of just one of these. But I would not complain if Santa was generous and left one under the tree. ;)

2. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

3. Saw this company at SHOT. The technology is amazing.

4. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Yeah, all that technology is really impressive, but I can do the same thing for a lot less money. Any motivated person that will listen and follow instruction can learn to shoot that well for a lot less money. I can't see any legitimate reason for this high tech toy.

jim

5. Yard Dart

Other than have a high tech cool toy.... :D:D

jim2 likes this.
  6. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

So, you can:
    range a moving target,
    compensate for the sideways cant of the rifle,
    compensate for the inclination up or down to the target,
    read a magnetic compass and compensate for coriolis effect,
    compensate for temperature affects on air density,
    compensate for the wind direction and velocity input by the shooter,
    measure the angular velocity of the rifle as it follows a moving target,
    calculate from the range and angular velocity the speed of the moving target,
    compute the necessary lead to hit a bull on that moving target,
    adjust the scope to display exactly on target with all the above compensations,
    And do all this 20 times per second?
    Really?
    Could you compute/perform it all just once in 20 seconds and nail a running gazelle at 750 yards with your very first shot in 5 days?

I suspect in a couple years this technology will be moving beyond specials ops and into sniper teams in mainstream units. It's that good. The question will be reliability and I know from putting computers on diesel engine blocks, that can be resolved. AT

kellory, BTPost and Yard Dart like this.
  7. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Perhaps I cannot do the one out of 10,000 shot you describe, but even if that shot presented itself, chances are the non-shooter using one of these wonder toys would miss it anyway. Perhaps it might do well mounted to a MG for antiaircraft use. Any time you want to shoot for money, let me know as I'd love to add money to the toy chest.

jim

Yard Dart likes this.
  8. Yard Dart

Like I said, a high tech cool toy... but it never out does good training and experience!!!!!! One can not win the day, only one tech... but will on training, preparation and experience everyday!!!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    jim2 and tulianr like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7