Smoking

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Kamp Krap, Feb 19, 2024.

1. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

It really annoys me! I had pretty much quit smoking in 2022 I was down to 2-3 cigs per week and a couple of pipe bowls here and there. The pipe being the hardest to lay down just because I like to sit and relax in the rocking chair and puff on the pipe.

Then Dee's Cancer hit and things got real stressful but I had managed keep on quitting and had completely stopped smoking by March of 2023. Then her big surgery that took like 14 hours and left me milling around the hospital and back and forth to the truck. While cleaning the truck to keep myself busy...... I found a full unopened pack of smokes and started lightly smoking again.

Then Dee Passed away and I have been smoking like a damned freight train since. The only positive thing I say about Cigarettes is that they do help keep the stress a bit in check and gave me something to with my hands other than punching holes through walls. LOL I finally fully repaired and replaces the interior and exterior wall that I created a vent hole in. Didn't mean to hit that hard and didn't even think I could still hit that hard :( And as a bonus and reward for my rage I got a right fist full of splinters and the hand all cut up...... Smoking helped with the stress and wild emo swings after Dee was gone.

So now I am past all of the rage and emo and stressy things are a whole lot less in my life once again and I am still smoking like a freight train. I am not the kind of person that can just stop smoking cold turkey and it work. The last time it took me a year of slowly tapering off until it was just enjoying the pipe one evening a week. I decided that today was the day I am going to head down that quitting path again.

The way I do it is not hard just takes a long while. I take a calendar and set a daily cap on how many smokes and do that number for a week and then reduce the number by 2 smokes every week after and mark each smoke on each day of the calendar and am just done smoking when the countdown ends. Maybe not ideal or fast but it has proven to work for me.

LOL and what I use to keep the hands occupied are Black Twizzlers :)

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I figured smoking was a psyop to ensure the solvency of social security.
    Smoke 2 packs a day for around 40 years and live to 58 to 65.
    You die and government has effectively double taxed you and spens that money on whatever they want.
    And you have the perfect scam because the victim died.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  3. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

My mom was never a heavy smoker, but noticed she had a smoke at certain times of the day (after breakfast, etc). So she started by cutting out one of her daily cigs. Once she was used to that, cut out another one, eventually quitting. A year later, she threw out the open pack of cigs in her dresser drawer, that had sat there in case of an emergency. Mom lived to be 87. (y)
    Dad quit for a while, after being diagnosed with lung cancer. Year and a half after that (and successfully killing the tumor in his lung), it showed up in his brain. Guess knowing that he would spend the rest of his life just waiting for it to show back up again, made him decide to start sneaking smokes. Well, he thought he was sneaking them! Mom knew he was doing it, but didn't say anything. Even when he was confined to a hospital bed, on home hospice, he was asking for a smoke. That was the only time Mom put her foot down, and said NO. He died at 72 years of age. :cry:
    Took me 3 years after Dad passing, before I finally got smart, after 23-1/2 years of smoking. Got down on my knees, and asked God to help me out. A few weeks later, I got so sick (upper respiratory infection), that I couldn't smoke.....my throat would just close up, if I tried! Went to the doc, got my antibiotics, and after 5 days of no smoking, decided I was well enough to light one up. Took 2 puffs, tasted HORRIBLE (like an ashtray! :sick:), and I stubbed it out. That was 19 years ago, this past Thanksgiving, and it was easily the best thing I ever did for myself. And I give ALL the credit to God, for getting me to quit so easily!! :D

Homer Simpson, GOG, Zimmy and 6 others like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I like a filter less Joe ''Hump'' Camel about every 5 years, Nothing like Turkish blended stuff!

Zimmy, Kamp Krap, duane and 1 other person like this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Back in.'80,, I spent a hard party weekend with friends at the river,, smoked I don't know how cigs ,, but I went thru a carton that weekend,, don't know how many I smoked, and how many was given away . But Monday morning in the truck with the boss man making the 4 hour trip to the out of town job ,, my throat was bad sore ,, couldn't hardly swallow, and inhaling a cigarette hurt ,, bad . I said I ought to quit ,,, bossman said ,, " you can't quit " . That was my challenge. I threw the whole pack out the window . Haven't smoked since that day in 1980.

GOG, Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you quit smoking before like age 44 you're probably good. After age 44 it's like the body loses its ability to repair damage from smoking.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

When I was 14, I tried to smoke. I had gotten a pack from my Father's truck and had been puffing, but not inhaling. Finally, one day I decided that I was going to inhale, and after several attempts I succeeded. I thought I was gonna die! I couldn't breathe, it was like my lungs had stopped working! Then I started coughing and my saliva glans went into high gear! I had tears in my eyes, my nose was running, and I thought I was going to throw-up! Finally, I recovered and did one of the smartest things I would ever do, I walked away and left that pack of cigarettes on the ground!
    I'm reminded of this every time a member of my family died of lung cancer or COPD!

8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

More like a psyop by Big Tobacco, and the politicians that benefit from their relationship with Big Tobacco.
    Ronny Raygun maybe ;)
    [​IMG]
    Yes, Ronnie's Cigar is a hoot....
    [​IMG]
    Sure, one needn't inhale, to enjoy the flavour of a good cigar...

[​IMG]
    Big Tobacco doesn't care about its consumers' dying or ill health, using their products....there'll always be cohorts of new nicotine addicts to take their place, and keep the Tobacco Companies' investor's dividends coming.

I haven't had more than a few packets of cigarettes up until my late teens, and probably less than a pack of cigars in my early twenties. One of the best decisions of my life was not to allow myself to become addicted to Tobacco products...it has saved me thousands of dollars, and as a consequence enjoy a better quality of life in my latter years.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Former 2 1/2 pack a day smoker. Ended up with high blood pressure at age 26. Kept on smoking 'till I was 29 and landed in the ER with blood pressure that went way high. I was told at that time that I was not too young to have a stroke.

Stopped cold turkey in February 1983 right after that incident. Started again in 1991 but could stand it for only a couple months, tasted like shit. Quit promptly after that.

Tried quitting before the episode with the high blood pressure (still have it today at age 70, but no stroke or heart disease) several times. The cutting down method never worked.

If I smoked two packs a day and quit for a month, and then light up just one, within a few days I'd be right back up to two packs a day. Nicotine is so highly addictive.

About ten years after that I picked up on small stogies, maybe half dozen cigars per year. Then I began waking up with a blaring sinus headache and a nose so packed full I couldn't breathe through it for hours. When the congestion finally cleared, I found it was made up entirely of blood clots.

That happened a few times before I dropped the cigars. No more nasal blood clots.

To this day I cannot remain very long around someone while they are smoking. It feels just like stripping the insulation off of a 6 inch piece of 12 gauge solid copper wire and cramming it up my nose.

10. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

My now nurse wife when I ask her to marry me said only if I stopped smoking. Well I did and it was the best decision --have not smoked in 44 years still got the same girl.

11. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

I wish it were that easy for me I kind turn into Doctor Michael and Mr Clyde

12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm not saying it was easy ,, because it wasn't. But the biggest thing was my Boss man telling me I " couldn't " do something. That was my challenge,, I had to prove it to myself ,, It was especially hard when I was drinking ,, good thing he didn't tell me I couldn't quit drinking,,:D . Soon after that day ,, I always carried toothpicks or gum ,, if I didn't have those 2 ,, I'd cut me a sliver of wood and chew on it . And I did that for years .
    But you're going thru a different type of emotional stress with the loss of your wife ,, that'll cause you to revert back to former stress related habits . You'll get back to normal in time ,, it'll take a little while,, but you'll quit when you're ready . Hang in there .

chelloveck likes this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Just think about all the tar your adding to your lungs and the fact that they don't clean themselves.
    I never did smoke.
    Growing up I knew so many that died of cancer and or other raspatory conditions due to smoking I had plenty of incentive to not touch the stuff.
    That and the fact that I was never impressed with those I knew that did smoke mimicking one another in stupidity.
    The reason smoking calms one, is that it is limiting oxygen to the brain, which also contributes to stupid.
    No offence ,
    My observations as a child.

SB21 and chelloveck like this.
  14. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I think quit using any method that will help you get off them as quickly as possible and never do them again.
    Yeah, I smoked as a kid but got off them when I starting seriously running. By middle to late 20's I just didn't smoke, not even pot. It is a horrible addiction that is extremely difficult to kick, maybe worse than hard drugs.

SB21 likes this.
  15. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

A friend of mine back then used to say quitting smoking was easy.
    He'd done it lots of times.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70, Kamp Krap and 2 others like this.
  16. OzVegus

OzVegus Monkey

My brother could quit easily and then at age 55 he put them down for good. No danger of lung cancer for him. Unfortunately he got pancreatic cancer at 61 and was dead 3 months after detection. I'm older than that now and still enjoy a pack a day and quite frankly have no intention of quitting. Doesn't effect my cycling or gym workouts either. There are a hell of a lot of ills attributed to smoking but oddly enough none are attributed to breathing exhaust emissions from vehicles. I find that odd since the gas coming out of the tailpipe of a truck or car is a lot more deadly. It's just another one of those things we never question in life.

17. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

One of the greatest motivators for me to become a warlord once we are WROL will be to secure a steady source of nicotine.

Tempstar and Homer Simpson like this.
  18. jefferson

jefferson Monkey

Better to avoid smoking habits is good for the body health. Avoiding smoking habits also save the pocket money and avoid medical expensive.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7