Snake bite progression

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sniper-66, May 10, 2009.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Or a hat band at least. Looking at the unswollen foot sorta says you need a few more bites for boots. [peep]

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I just got done dumping his carcass out on the highway down the road. Put him right in the tire lane so that he would get run over by everyone going by. He ended up on his back and I didn't realize just how big his mouth is.... I mean was. I backed up and run over him a couple times myself. He was starting to decay and popped like a baloon when I ran over him, sweet revenge.
    Normally, they are fairly docile and will try to get away, but when you stomp on him, he appearently took offense to that. As soon as he bit and I moved, he was trying to get away. I won't go down in the woods without boots on ever again, it was amazing how much he blended into the oak leaves on the ground.

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Oh Man check this out...
    250px-CopperheadInLeavesCU. copperhead_leaves001Af.

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Excellant camo there.
    Myself I Don't like mr. snake; 'E's got no shoulders, If I see 'im first I tend to shoot first and ask questions later,
    BANG!
    "Hey that' s NOT a poisonous snake!... awe crap, , I'm sorry mate."

5. sniper-66

See! See!, tell me that one on the right isn't looking for some defenseless wood burner with low top shoes to bite! Now you know why I hate snakes, they do it on purpose!

6. savindude

savindude Monkey++

Thanks for the thread. I've spent alot of time in the Ok. woods, but have never been bit, seen a few though. I will definitely be careful and keep my eyes open. Hope your recovery goes well for you.

7. sniper-66

Doing well now. Nine days later and my foot still aches and I can't lace my boots up tight yet, but I have no problems walking on it now. Don't plan on repeating this mess again!

8. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

least you don't fly "fixed wing"
    :[​IMG]'
    [​IMG]

9. sniper-66

I'll have to remember that. Some years ago, there was a article in one of our flight magazines where a Huey was at a field site. It picked up an uninvited guest that decided to show himself in the middle of the flight by crawling out onto the center console.

10. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

Wow, that snake did a number on you! Did it suck out a lot of blood? Your left foot looks skinny and weak. Oh... wait a minute...

Never mind (blushing)

I guess that old expression "if it were a snake it would have bit me" holds true. Hopefully you'll be back on your feet soon!

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Wow!
    That's just a nasty bite!
    I was in eastern Texas as a 10-11 year old and had some run-ins with a few copperheads and cottonmouths....
    I was lucky.
    The one I stepped on wasn't so lucky, I mashed his head flat on the rocks he was crawling over!
    They are not nice, I was even chased by one down by the local (how do you spell crick?) creek, there.
    Anyway, I discovered IF you piss them off, they get pretty nasty, and after I'd emptied my 50 shot bb gun into his hide, it never slowed him down...
    My mother grabbed my bb gun and beat that sucker to a pulp!
    Now, all things being considered, it didnt do my bb gun a helluva lot of good.
    It never worked again after that episode!
    I am glad you are ok, I have seen some bad hand ,leg, and arm bites, where the victim lost a good portion of muscle and tissues.
    Most turn black and crack looking a lot like a bad case of frostbite!
    Take care, get well as soon as possible, and I am tickled pink that you are well and able to even post photos and information about these critters!
    Thanks, but next time, get a "volunteer" to take the bite instead of yourself?
    Now, I'm off to find some "gaiters", before I head back up north to my land!

12. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ouch! To think I just went out back shooting in sneakers. I shot 2 of thosebuggers in the garden a couple weeks ago. Glad you are healing up though.

Also wanted to say, give me a shout next time you are headed to KC and maybe we can meet up a little closer than 500' running a couple hundred MPH.

13. sniper-66

Things are getting better, no bruising left, you can barely see the puncture marks now, however, the tendons are still pretty sore. I can walk with no problems, however, take a finger and poke my calf or top of my foot and you are likely to get kicked. I talked to a guy the other day that knew someone that took almost four weeks to completely heal with no symptoms, look like I am on that schedule.
    Found a bull snake in my garage this weekend, poor thing took the brunt of my pissedoffedness. I'm real leary where I step and every step is searched first now.
    MM, Wilco, may need to make a trip to the Concordia surplus soon, maybe we can meet there.

14. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sounds good. Check your PMs.

15. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I don't know if copperheads are more numerous this year or not but it seems like these stories are coming in waves. Just a few days ago I had a call from a friend and his son had got bitten on the finger by one. Same thing as Sniper, hospital kept him a couple hours then sent him home. He was swollen and in pain for a few days.

Then today my daughter almost got bit by one. We were doing some spring cleaning. Had all of the camping gear out on the ground in front of the garage. She was handing me things to put up in the rafters. She went to pick up a cot that was on the ground. She felt something touch her hand underneath it as she picked it up. It was a snake. I have a Taurus "Judge" that I bought last year to handle creepy crawlies, so I grabbed it, and the camera, and took these pics. The first is pre judge, the next one is post. Then the results of a load of birdshot at close range. Did the job.

I am just glad that she wasn't bitten. But it has made her a lot more aware. We had some training on the proper way to pick things up off the ground in snake season.
    snake 001. snake 003. snake 004. snake 007. snake 006.

16. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

That is a big copper ,we have seen a few around this year .
    Now we are very careful when working the garden and doing the yard work.

Your daughter was lucky.
    Thank goodness.

17. sniper-66

Dang it Minuteman, now my bite is acting up! Thanks.

18. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Well, it certainly appears that somebody had better contact the man in Texas and get some of those "snake killing" rabbit's babies!
    Or at the least, some that will chase them nasties away!

19. Moon

Moon Monkey++

Dang, I agree with Cephus. Around our neck of the woods, that IS a big copperhead.
    :cheers:

20. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Looks likethe"judge" performed as advertised .410 birdshot?
    Defendant is accused of being a unlicensed "sneaky snake" !
    "guilty" as charged
    The court sentences you to be shredded "BLAM"
    Ofcourse the HARCORE SURVIVALIST WOULD start a fire with his flint and steel and roast that sucker for lunch Yeesh mr. snake can stay in the woods...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7