Snake bite progression

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sniper-66, May 10, 2009.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Tasted like chicken!

2. nealeysplace

nealeysplace Monkey++

How long did it take you to get better? My son was just bitten on Wednesday. he was kept in the hospital until Saturday. Today (Sunday) he is still swollen and seems to have some black marks appearing in spots. What does that mean? How long will this go on?

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yes, Copperheads can be very painful. Thanks for the pics and the info, Sniper. My Dad was bitten long ago in the arm, turned it black, but he recovered fully eventually.

4. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It took about a week for the swelling to settle down to where I could walk on it. Two weeks for the bad pain to go away, and four weeks for it to all disappear. The black spots are bruising, the venom breaks down tissue, so the area has to repair itself. For me, the final pain was in the tendons in my foot from the swelling.
    The worst thing though is not the pain, it is the jumpiness from anything that touches my leg. I hope your son recovers well, it will not be a fun recovery.

5. RangerRick

RangerRick RangerRick-North Idaho Oath Keeper

Hey Sniper,
    I hope you get to feeling well soon. I did the same thing in my wood pile a few summers back,same thing copperhead. I did not know I was bite until I got the metallic taste in my mouth. I thought I just snagged a locust thorn.

I did find out later, it was to late to head for the hospital and I found out they stopped carrying anti-venom.

They would have to life line me to the city up by the zoo.

Best to you,
    Ranger Rick

6. sniper-66

Doing fine now, that was four months ago. It's getting cool now and the neighbors have seen several coperheads moving back to the den areas in the draw area where I got bit, time to be cautious again. The one thing that I learned from all this, I hate snakes with a passion!

7. SuperTico

SuperTico Yawn !

Been a while since I have been on here but if we had emergency rooms down here in Costa Rica with a useless bunch like you had I'd open a funeral parlor !
    " Uniquely Amurkin" ! :rolleyes:

8. MinTX

MinTX lostinaustin

Glad to hear you have recovered. It is indeed that time again. I killed a baby copper in my backyard just last weekend. Those I can deal with. The rattlesnakes on the other hand... This one tried to strike my daughter. I had my camera and NOT my gun, unfortunately. I lobbed large rocks at it while it was coiled up. It was going to die one way or another!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. sniper-66

I dont like any snakes anymore. Tonight, I was in the back storage room, and found a average sized ring neck snake stuck to one of the bug glue traps, gave me a case of the heebie jeebies from hell! Now, if something touches my leg without my knowing it, I'll jump to heaven, I hate it, I don't go in the woods much anymore now.

10. MinTX

MinTX lostinaustin

Honey, I would say that your experience warrants that reaction!
    As for going into the woods.... boots, darlin'.... boots!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7