Snake Bites

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Ganado, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

2. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Sometimes it dosent matter....

70C3A5ED-3F7B-4EFC-85CF-8E9A3B379129.

just be glad Titanboa went extinct.....

3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No, sometimes it doesn't make a bit of difference. "Snake ate a cow" is the translation from Malaysian "ular makan sapi." No, I wasn't there when it happened. The locals captured it, dunno what happened after they got it in the ute.

A couple weeks later, an elderly gentleman in rural Johor went out to his shed for some kero for the lanterns and didn't come back. Wife found his feet sticking out of a large snake. Autopsy indicated he had a heart attack, fell, and there ya go.

ular_makan_sapi-2.

Gator 45/70 and UncleMorgan like this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

A coral snake will leave the same Mark has a the non venomous snake in the picture and it don't have to chew on you or bite you in between the fingers or toes like everyone says trust me

madmax, SB21, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  6. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Four good tips for avoiding snakebite:

1. When crossing a fallen log or limb, step on it and then well past it. Don't just step over it because your foot may come down on or right beside a venomous snake on the far side. Ditto for rocks of similar size.

2. Don't put your hands into deep shadow. When gathering firewood or clearing brush, anywhere you can't see clearly is a place you shouldn't reach. The slightly raised end of a nice piece of firewood lying in the weeds can be sheltering a snake that will strike when you grab the end of the wood. Don't reach into holes to see if there is a gopher inside. It might be something a lot less cuddly than a gopher. Don't reach into overhanging rocks or rock piles for the same reason. Snakes (and Gila monsters) like to hide out in rock piles to avoid coyotes and hawks.

A Gila Monster bite is usually not fatal, but is agonizing and can require a lengthy convalescence. They are mostly found in AZ.

3. In the jungle, don't use vertical vines as handholds or climbing aids. Even on a well-used trail, it's very possible to grab a hanging vine to steady yourself and wind up with a handful of tree viper. Many species exist, and most are a nice vine green.

4. Use your eyes and your brain on a full-time basis. Stay alert and actively avoid giving a snake a reason or an opportunity to strike you.

SB21, Oddcaliber, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  7. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Actually, many people have reportedly died from non-poisonous snake bites (and dry bites from venomous snakes) because they truly believed they were doomed. So they simply sat down, slipped into terminal shock, and died.

Such is the power of suggestion.

Better to just consider yourself strong enough to survive any snake bite will little more than a curled lip and a frown of annoyance.

And then go chat up the nearest medic.

Because, frankly, we'd all miss you.

8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I don't know whether the tweet author is just making a wry pessimistic comment, but in many cases, venomous snakebites are survivable...if appropriate first aid is swiftly rendered, and the snakebite victim is taken as quickly as possible for treatment by medical professionals.

Tully Mars, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Any of you're people out in the brush ever bitten? I see that yall have some really nasty serpents down under.

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i did not know that but ive only been around cotton mouth, copper heads and rattlesnakes... you can survive rattlesnakes. The little ones are worse than the big ones

Gator 45/70 and OldDude49 like this.
  11. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

We have big ones

Alf60, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Having eaten rattle snakes, I can't imagine them as much of a staple item, too many bones and not enough meat. The meat is tasty but too hard to get to in a satisfying bite.

13. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

And I'm never leaving Michigan. We've got only one venomous snake here. The Eastern Massasauga. It's small, only about 2 feet long. Typically they hear you coming and head away. But i still don't stick my hands into the recesses of the logpile.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Re; Bishop's #11. I really expected him to paraphrase Heinlein, "First you kill a Snake....." He did say he had killed this one..

Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Looking good man,I see Scout is also looking good !

SB21 likes this.
  16. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

I was sitting around drinking with 8 lady friends at my retreat a couple of months ago, when this venomous red belly black snake came over for a visit. It wasn't aggressive, but it freaked some of the ladies out, so I shoo'd it away. It is deadly enough to kill children, the elderly or sick, but not as dangerous as the common brown snake or the tiger snake, also found in the area, where a bite means death unless treated properly.

I won't go into first aid details, because they are different for our type of snakes, but I carry a snake bite kit whenever I'm out bush.
    [​IMG]

Dark Wolf, Ganado, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  17. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

We have pygmy rattlers in FL. They are nasty little buggers. I've seen juveniles not much bigger than a silver dollar coiled up under a palm leaf. The little ones don't control the venom they inject. You get the full dose.

When I was stationed out in Idaho in the 70's we went hiking in the Craters of the Moon National Park. I got struck by a rattler under a ledge. It felt like somebody hit me with a baseball bat. I was about 20. I yelled and screamed and cried all the way to Idaho Falls. Turns out it was a dry bite. I never lived that down.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

2 weekends ago I went out to my neighbors deer/hog lease with the 4 wheeler and chainsaws.
    Anyway we were cutting downed trees from the hurricanes that kicked our azzes this year and brother we have tons of wood down.
    I had the 4yr old I'll call T-Mav. with me...
    T-Mav was sitting in the back basket while I hooked up logs with a strap and I we were dragging these off to the side
    Had just finished dragg'n one when about a 1ft long fat copperhead came slithering out off to the left of the wheeler.
    I pointed it out to T-Mav telling him look!
    We were just walking around here,Look at its head,Shaped like an arrowhead !
    His Lil azz never left that 4-wheeler basket for the next hour....lol

19. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I've made a list of deadly snakes found here in Alaska.

1)

Oh, never mind...

20. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Interesting anecdotes about snakes, but little on the first aid treatment of snake bite.

One ought be aware of the source of information, and its currency when giving snakebite first aid. Have seen various approaches to it, particularly in older first aid manuals, which are as like to harm the first aider as well as the snakebite victim.

Current state of the art is immobilising the victim and applying a pressure bandage to the affected area, as well as some other precautionary measures.

The following YouTube clips may provide helpful guidance...the usual caveats and disclaimers apply..I don't represent myself as a medical expert, and individuals relying on the information provided therein should do their own due diligence before putting these techniques into effect.

SB21, Ganado, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7