So here's what happened the past 2 days

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Oct 8, 2005.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Clyde downloaded the folders from the Old SM. He's on a NASA Fiber T^ so it was really quick.
    He then uploaded all of that to the new place. really quick. If that's all there was to it, we would have been back in an hour. The tricky part was the datavase. A php forum like his and others has two seperate areas of data. One is the empty shell of a high rise building. That's what Clyde took care of. and it's a big building. 4336 folders iic... I had to merely move a 76MB database file over. The problem was that the old server was crashing so hard , I could only get nibbles at a time. I learned that the hard way. Inserting this mySQL db into the new table is trivky enough without hardware probs.

Well, we got it fixed. I'll see if Clyde is available for another bandwidth burning session here soon. I think we still have a couple GIG on the old server that I want over here. After that, I'll update the nameservers to show US as survivalmonkey.com and then we can fly off from there.

thanks for bearing with this move. We had a guest in the chat rpoom last night. He was surprised we had to move for such a small site, was wondering if we'd been hacked and also about the INferno. Told a few quick lines about a family getting hurt by board wars and such... lol, give a warm welcome to Toggle if you see him here.

2. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

melbo, I too wondered if we'd been hacked. On the other hand the other place might not of been able to just plain handle traffic.

Sometimes it's not the size of the board, it's the amount of people that visit and such.

3. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

i find 3-4 beers helps when sitting in front of the computer and computing. Even if you don't get the computer fixed, you haven't wasted any valuable drinking time

4. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks for the hard work guys.

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

:lol:

6. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Anyone I know?

7. Quigley_Sharps

Yeah you sure do " Oh why does everyone hate me" guy

8. melbo

Just installed CrackerTracker. No, It's not a KKK tracking tool, its:

There are ways of attacking a board like this and many of them are to run a script on the database that overloads it. The server then shuts don our portion. I don't know if this is what happened before but, if it's tried from now on, I'll have a complete log of the attempt and CT will shut them down.

This is in the testing phase so please let me know if you encounter any errors.

thanks

9. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

And I thought just the only things with this sophisticated of a system were created from Adam's Rib! I am fairly confident my wife has one, but......

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

FWIW. I had real problems logging on yesterday, just could not do it nohow, noway, 14 tries. This morning, the lightoff scan by Spyware BeGone tells me I have 14 hijackers on board. No idea where they came from, but they're cleaned now, and I have accress (obviously.) Just because the numbers are coincident is meaningless, I think, but SM was the only site that was affected that I could determine. Others may have been, but SM reacted badly, wouldn't load. I do NOT think it came from SM, I do get to other sites with higher risk.

Typically, I do full updates of all AV stuff on Saturday morning. Whatever it was did not get picked up on light off, so Spyware did not recognize it then. Has to be a new variant that is now on the list from the update.

So, good people, do a scan just in case something is hanging out that may have come from this machine. A browser hijacker is what you are looking to find, or not.

11. Quigley_Sharps

Yeah your not the only one who couldnt log on yesterday, Myself and Conager couldnt.
    I was able to get on lastnight.

12. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The only way I was able to get on was through the link on the Survival Monkey site but never directly. It sure was quiet around here yesterday.

13. Quigley_Sharps

:lol: I bet it was!

14. melbo

Yeah. Sorry. I have run Virus and other Mal ware scans on the server that covers all the folsers we have. The problem is still that we are running on 209.120.238.243etc. and all of the internals are saying we are sm.com/forum. It will get better and I see from the 104 posts today that I finally got one of the settings right!!

I think I will have time tomorrow to walk Clyde through the Download/up-loads i want and then we can kiss the other crap goodbye. Nothing else has changed so it must be the domain name conflicts casuing problems.

BTW, we also lost the dancing banana... he don't dance no more

15. Quigley_Sharps

b::

16. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ah Quigs has returned the bananna!!! [beer]

17. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Y'all did a great job with the conversion. Now sit back, relaxe and have a cold one [beer]

Ryan

18. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

How about this [kissit] for a warm welcome.

Somebody is always trying to hack in, personally I think the punishment for the malicious software designers and hackers should be a lot more severe. Say 60 days in the electric chair.

To bad you don't have a smilie for that! [reddevil]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7