So my journey for knowledge and freedom begins.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lekdro, Jul 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Welcome to our world of trying to be not only prepared but self-sustaining. I get the impression that's what you are looking for rather than "off-grid." Its not hard to live as most of us do, just a little different than the average person who goes with the flow and ignores the dangers and the growing segment of the population who want someone else to meet their needs. There are few better feeling than knowing you can take care of yourself in most circumstances. The journey to discovery is a great experience and one that never ends

GOG, Ganado and Lekdro like this.
  2. Lekdro

Lekdro Monkey

That im still unsure of. I would of course like to find a wooded area with a good flowing water source. Also, i wouldnt mind if it gets cold in the winter. I tend to lean more towards the cold, not so much the heat.

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You can start a thread in here if you want.Functional Gear & Equipment

Lekdro likes this.
  4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Welcome to the Monkey take some knowledge... leave some knowledge...

chelloveck, Motomom34 and Lekdro like this.
  5. Lekdro

Lekdro Monkey

"Adventure, excitement. A jedi craves not these things" as good ole Yoda would say. As this will be an adventure, im not seeking it as one. More so im seeking this as my way of life. And an opportunity to do so would be great.

chelloveck and GOG like this.
  6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Watch Alaskan Bush People. Every episode. Then do the opposite. Wait. Easier just to skip it. [afro]

Ganado, RightHand, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  7. Lekdro

Lekdro Monkey

I thought i read online that it was all staged anyways? The only survival show i watched was dual survival. And i think i only watched one season. It had some good stuff in it but, its entertainment. If i watch anything i typically go to youtube now. I watched a guy build a hut out of sticks and clay. It was pretty amazing to watch. Even the axe he had was made from stone and a branch that was fire treated.

Meat likes this.
  8. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Yes. Skip that show and most of my nonsense. [afro]

Yard Dart likes this.
  9. HOOLIGANS

HOOLIGANS Monkey

Forget about reality shows and "TV Alaska". Read old books written by old people. They are from a time when SURVIVAL was an alternative to DEATH, not just a trendy lifestyle choice.

And then enjoy the luxuries that we have today like synthetic clothing and 44 lb. Honda generators..:)

GOG, Lekdro and Meat like this.
  10. Lekdro

Lekdro Monkey

Bradford Angier's books are keeping me busy at the moment. They are good reads along with good information.

I guess if i have a question that is important, it would be how to go about getting land to live on... and land that wont cost me a small fortune. By no means am i rich. And i still have a lot of equipment to get from what i see.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Thats why I suggested moving out of ORD closer to where you want to go, assuming your skills will transfer and you can make a living.

This will give you an opportunity to scout for a location, learn and integrate into the local community and find the deals on land.

Now if your skills wont transfer and you are stuck in ORD or some other large city, then hunker down, cut all unnecessary expenses and save every penny. Research land listings and locations you are interested in and make a plan.

What type of work do you do for your primary income?

Also consider your ethnic background.....I hate to say it, but it is true that depending on your race, you may or may not be "welcome" in certain areas.

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ok, Just for FULL Disclosure... If you watched Season 4 (Just completed) of "Alaska Bush People" Episode "Winter Watch" AlaskaChick & I were featured as a "Bush Family" that the Brown Family, Visited.... We have know the Browns for a couple of years, now, and I ran across Billy & Ami, 30 Years ago, down on POW, when he was a Commercial Troller, as he sold his Fish, to the Cold Storage I was working for.... The Family's personalities are EXACTLY as portrayed on the show.... HOWEVER the Senerios shown, are 100% determined by the Production Crew, that all come from NYC... So, everything you see, must be filtered thru the Eyes, of Folks, that do NOT have the First Clue, about Alaska Bush Living.... I did a Radio System Upgrade for the Production Team, last summer, that is documented here, on the Monkey.... Path Survey on Sunday...... | Survival Monkey Forums

13. Lekdro

Lekdro Monkey

Im Caucasian. I just started a new job with a company leveling sidewalks and driveways. They also work on foundations of homes. I used to test concrete before that. Unfortunately i wad part of a buyout that ended with eliminating old employees

In the past i've helped my uncle with putting up drywall, and molding around rooms and doors. I also painted for him.

Ganado, GOG and AD1 like this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

So you know how to make really strong concrete?

15. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Those skills should transfer almost anywhere.

Motomom34, Ganado and GOG like this.
  16. Lekdro

Lekdro Monkey

Yeah, i was working with it for about 3 and half years. I could figure out a basic mix design if I have to. People tend to turn it into rocket science. Now im working for the competition. Instead of replacing sidewalks, i'll be fixing them for a quarter of tbe cost.

Theres more details of my life that im not going to explain right now. This is why I found anothet job here for the time being. I have every intention of leaving within thr next year. I just need more savings. So a little more grinding and its go time.

GOG likes this.
  17. Too Country

Too Country Jack of all trades and master of none.

Welcome, there are some good people here. But as a new guy I feel I should warn fellow new guys. Some things always ring true when you are new.

1. As long as your asking questions and not adding anything new you'll do fine.

2. But if you come in and start sharing to quickly then old hats will take offense. You will find yourself taking some flack. Having many years experience living off grid and homesteading its something I have personally experienced.

I think all forums tend to have a pecking order. And you have to work your way into the cliquish nature of the forums. Now I don't mean to discourage but I have seen it happen and made the mistake myself. I always want to share what I have learned and found that works but need to remember these rules.

All that said there are some very smart people here and lots of great info to be had. If we both just ease in then we will both be able to get along with those here just fine. Oh and sorry for the toes I have stepped on here, it was not intentional.

Ganado and Lekdro like this.
  18. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Interesting comment Too Country. The only time I've observed such a reception to a new member is when they start off by telling everyone how they know so much more than anyone else. That will earn a quick trip to a lot of people's ignore list. Those who come with the spirit of sharing AND learning are received with the same spirit.

I am always reminded of the parable oft repeated by my father and meaningful in my life.

A man who was traveling came upon a farmer working in his field and asked him what the people in the next village were like. The farmer asked "What were the people like in the last village you visited?" The man responded "They were kind, friendly, generous, great people." "You'll find the people in the next village are the same," said the farmer.

Another man who was traveling to the same village came up to the same farmer somewhat later and asked him what the people in the next village were like. Again the farmer asked "What were the people like in the last village you visited?" The second man responded, "They were rude, unfriendly, dishonest people." "You'll find the people in the next village are the same," said the farmer.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You'll be hard pressed to find any particular pecking order on the Monkey, but there are old timers, some timers, and noobs. You'll also find folks with expertise (at almost any level of newness to the site) willing to help as well as nay-sayers. You must remember to not enter the pool with a cannonball, so to say. Might also be useful to look around and see if those knowledgeable and idea filled posts you want to make haven't already been posted. Learn first, then teach, says me (and maybe me only.)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    chelloveck, Lekdro and AD1 like this.
  20. Too Country

Too Country Jack of all trades and master of none.

Well I have been doing this for a lot of years and am and have been a member of many forums over the years. I grew up on a homestead and have lived as a homesteader and off grider for most of my life. The warning I gave the new member is something I have seen happen to many others and have experienced myself a couple of times. I have seen new comers ran off by attacks from long time members for posting good information right away. It happens on most all forums to some degree and is just a dynamic that seams to naturally occur. I think to some degree its human nature but that's just a guess.

Anyway I was simply trying to offer some incite to getting started on such forums. Something I would have liked explained to me many years ago when I started joining such forums. Its certainly not meant to be a personal affront to anyone nor to take anything away from the value of such forums. So I hope it would be perceived as it was intended and no more than that.

Lekdro, AD1 and RightHand like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. CaptainCalamity
  3. DurdenJames
  4. saki monkey
  5. old_code
  6. OlSarge
  7. TheRightToBearArms
  8. AR15gunbuilder
    New one from west Florida
    Thread by: AR15gunbuilder, Sep 28, 2020, 19 replies, in forum: New Member Introductions
  9. Bunker Bob
  10. Modus Operandi
  11. Northern california
  12. Murfylang
  13. Waydah
  14. Kruel J
  15. johnwintergardener
  16. JazzeeJ
  17. Kavode
  18. ArtVandelay
  19. MrBadExample
  20. Wildbilly