So, what have you found in your bathroom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

First, I wasn't sure to post this here, or in the "Faith and Religion" forum. I certainly did some prayin' after this was done!

Now, to my story...

The entire time I have been in Cambodia, six years plus, I have only seen one smaller cobra - probably 15" to 20" in length... one.

It happened to be in the bathroom with me, yesterday!! (It's sized disturbed me a bit. Why it did, I will explain later.) I was in there about to shower, naked (sorry for the picture), and not very happy after seeing it slithering along the wall. I let the Boss know there was a snake inside the toilet with me. But, I was unsure what kind of snake it was. (There are only two snakes I personally don't like - live ones and dead ones.)

Fortunately, at the time, the Boss was just outside the bathroom. She immediately started screaming for me to come out. Bit or not, I was NOT going to leave the bathroom in my birthday suit! So, I cautiously put on my drawers (again, sorry for the picture) and opened the door. In rushed her mom with a stick in hand, apparently very willing to do battle with the cobra - VERY willing. She is one brave woman, her mom. The Boss said her mom has been like that as far back as she could remember. (Bear in mind, her mother is now in her early to mid- 70's!)

Anyway, as I walked out of the room, the door closed behind me - with ma, her stick, and the snake inside, alone. That is, aside from a few bugs that had managed their way inside the bathroom. Ma, apparently, wasn't about to let the slithering opponent get away from her.

The next thing we heard was the sound of the stick making contact with anything and everything in its path. And, everything, it seems, did take a hit from Ma's trusty stick, the toilet, my bum gun (I was praying it had not been damaged - you see, I am very fond of my bum gun), the walls, the floor, the ceiling, the plastic buckets (5 gallon buckets to fill with water to flush the no-tank toilet), my towel and fresh change of clothing. You name it, it took a hit - and, I'm sure, even the snake. Especially the snake, I had hoped.

After a short battle of only a few minutes, a deafening silence fell from the bathroom. You could have heard a pin drop. I was too nervous to say a thing. The Boss didn't say anything, either. We listened afterward, for what felt like ages. Then, the door quickly swung open, ma - with a very dead cobra in one hand, her trusty stick in the other, emerged from the bathroom. I immediately decided it was time for me to go elsewhere.

I have no idea what she did with the snake. I wasn't going to ask. And, I damned sure had no intentions of eating the thing. I was already full from a meal, anyway. :D

Upon doing a bit of research, I learned the snake was a Monocled Cobra. Well, it sure is comforting to know, that a Monocled Cobra found its way in the bathroom! By the way, had any of us been bitten, we would have been dead before arriving at a hospital - even if they DID have an anti-venom for that particular snake bite. We live 30 to 45 minutes, traveling pretty fast, from the nearest medical facility.

Oh, why was I disturbed over the size of the snake? Well, it - quite obviously, was juvenile Monocled Cobra. Which means, a mama snake could very well be somewhere nearby. That is, unless it happened to be delivered with a bunch of large sacks of corn, which we recently had delivered to the farm. I hope the latter explains why it was here.

So, is there anything strange that you have found in your bathroom?

2. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

We've found a couple of rat snakes over the years but that's now worth mentioning now.

That cobra is James Bond villian grade

3. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Damn! I'm wit you, sneks is the devil's spawn!
    I once had a reather large Grizz sniff my backside while fishing, I didn't know I needed a bath until my brain caught up with my front side heading for the far shore! Damn sneaky critters! Your story, nudes and all, was way better or worse then mine!

5. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

When I first got married I lived in a house and the bathroom had a small hole in it. One morning about 2 0’clock I walked in and there was a big opossum in the middle between the sink and potty. I have always looked when in a bathroom since then I don’t care we’re I’m at. I have not ate a opossum since then.

6. ochit

ochit Monkey+

If it was local you'll find it in the bathrooms because everything likes and needs water and mice or rats scurry to evade their enemies and if they end up in the bathroom so does their pursuer. Depends on where your facility is located if it's an out building that is like a magnet if it is more inside or middle of the house less so. best to keep the bath uncluttered light color so you can recognize a darker color in the room. OH and good lighting.

I have experienced all manner of poisonous snakes spiders wasps and hornets and after a flood eels, rats scorpions, by the way never leave anything wet or damp on the floor it attracts scorpions like Aussies to free beer. either depends on the problems but leaving a light on or off and always check before entering any room. and have something to defend yourself with one a Sjambok is a great piece ones that have a crop with equal length of tough tapered hide attached on the end so it's half whip and half crop with a flick you can cut a snake in two if you tie on a popper but you may want one more like a buggy whip for more reach snakes can strike 1/3 to 3/4 of their length and speeds are all over the place. A rattle snake is one if not the fastest striking snakes in the world he can move s fast you don't see it. there are a couple that you cannot handle no matter how you hold them you will get bitten only using a draw noose or snake clamp and a wrangling rod.

Some critters are dangerous because they are scared and want to escape as soon as they see you I had a run in with an owl, remember most everything else has barbs, claws, teeth or stingers most do not like to be surprised and will leave you with a remembrance if you get in the way of the exit and you best hope they can find it. some just stink like hell but it hangs with you for days. things that seem docile can attack with ferocity and fury that will stun you because the moronic animal kiddie shows try to portrait them as innocent misunderstood creatures thye are wild animals and there is no telling what they may or may not do, and size is no factor a monkey the size of a small dog can rip or bite off a finger,
    [​IMG]

7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Aahhh - icicles ?

[​IMG]

it's important to close the door after use....

On the plus side, there are no snakes native to Alaska.

One does occasionally see this:
    [​IMG]
    larger than a cobra, but can kill you just as dead...

8. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

glad yall are gud @Asia-Off-Grid perhaps somebody is tryin to tell ya somethin [biggrouphug]

ya should take Mrs. AoG, ma n yerself n head this way (y) (y) while the goin is gud

[winkthumb] @ ma

[YD] @ snakes

Ura-Ki and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Living on the desert we had 5' rattler venture past the bathroom into the kitchen one morning, headed for the living room .wife and daughter unloaded almost every gun I owned on the poor thing; .22 , shot gun, .357 mag, 30/30 , .44, .223 . Left it where it finally stoped moving till I got home from work that night.
    Not enough left worth skinning or making dinner . They never thought to think to look to see where it had gotten in . I asked ," did you look to see where it might have gotten in" ,was met with an icy glare" , so I looked, and it was a hole in the wall out side the kitchen .

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

This it?
    +10,000 to maw maw and her stick!!!
    Minus - 1 if you screamed like a lil B.......LOL

monocled_cobra_1.

11. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Mothers are like that and it was a fair chance she may have been bitten I am so gald for you she was not.

I'm not afraid of anything as long as I am in a position and with the wherewithal to take care of it but life doesn't always allow you such chances.

12. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Meanwhile in Australia....

[​IMG]:whistle:

Dunerunner, Zimmy, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Off-Grid, You may want to look into this, In a preliminary study, extract of Mimosa pudica plant has been shown to possibly have neutralizing effects on the toxins present in this venom.[23]

Zimmy, Asia-Off-Grid and ochit like this.
  14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

We had a 6 foot cobra drop out of a tree at the job in Singapore. The guest workers eating lunch under the tree could have set land speed records.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A fear of snakes is primal...the snake doesn't have to be real.....

16. Asia-Off-Grid

You know, if you were a doctor, you would have very bad, bed side manner, right? This is where you were supposed to say, "Oh, no, Paul. I'm sure the snake came in with the corn. You won't see another one around the place." Yes, damn it! I admit it! I needed a little lyin' to here! Now, I'm gonna have to start peein' out the back door of our humble abode, rather than going to the toilet at the back of her ma's house. At least from here, I can see the entire back yard. No snake will be in an enclosed en-vi-ro-ment with me. I'm sure gonna miss my bum gun! Thanks, ochit. Just, thanks. No, really. Thanks. :D

The bathroom is located on the rear of the home, adjacent to the kitchen. They were additions we did after I entered the picture. But, the kitchen is also open to the outside. Now, a chicken house is adjacent to the other side of the kitchen, due to ma wanting to extend the kitchen for an area to cook with open fire. (I bought a gas stove top to stop the open fire cooking. But, they still use the damned fire. Now, it's to save LPG. I can't win. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:)

EDIT: I meant to add, I have a 42" LED single lamp light fixture, illuminating the toilet. That was how I was able to see the snake. They (READ: ma) kept turning off the light - to save power. :rolleyes: But, since I am the one who pays the power bill, I had the light hardwired to a breaker in a panel only Chan and I have the keys to. No one else is allowed to go into it. I keep the light on 24 hours, due to the bathroom not having any natural light from outside, entering the room.

You're darn right, somebody is tryin' to tell me something! It's time for me to buy a mongoose! Where is Rikki-Tikki-Tavi when you need him?!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    ochit, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  17. Asia-Off-Grid

Yeah, a smaller version, though.

That doesn't look like a Red Back, though, which I've also encountered.

Well, I know you need a snake to extract venom from, in order to produce anti-venom. That would be a sure fire way to stop the poison from the bite. It would be interesting to find out locally, though, if this were the case - concerning the plant, that is.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  18. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Worst I have encountered here in my North Florida bathroom are the small sand scorpion, and the Giant House Spider - yes, that is it's name and it fits! Imagine a Brown Recluse the size of a small Tarantula! I actually have shot them with .22 Colibri and pellet guns.

19. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Wife sat on the toilet and got stung on the butt by a wasp that was under the seat. Laughed at her about it and about a week later had another wasp in a sock that I had laid out and get me on the foot when I put it on. Paybacks are a bitch!

20. Asia-Off-Grid

UPDATE: Well, I see @ochit and the Boss attended the same medical school.

Dumb a$$ me just couldn't leave well enough alone. I was going to be smart, and decided to try to confirm the snake had come in with the sacks of corn, recently received for the livestock. I asked the Boss if she believed the snake had entered the property that way. Naturally, she, like Mr. ochit, just had to tell me the truth. This time, the extended version.

She started with, "No. I am sure it did not come in with the corn."

She then told me that, a couple of months ago, her mother had witnessed another snake, a much larger version of my bathroom invader, slither down a hole near some of our water storage jars - which also happened to be near the house. She apparently couldn't get it back out of the hole to kill it. So, she boiled a large pot (~20 liters) of water and poured it down the hole. The large snake has not been seen since. But, the Boss told me she had kept this from me, so as not to worry me about the snake issue.

Well, thanks for telling me this, now. :D :ROFLMAO:

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and ochit like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7