So which Portable Ham Radio Model Would You Recommend for TEOTWAWKI

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by ED GEiN, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Most of the time the FCC will demand that you "Cease and Desist" on the first offense. Get caught again and you're in deep kim-chi.

However, the situation outlined by Tempstar above was pretty egregious, and the FCC can tighten the thumbscrews on the first offense, as well they should have in that case.

Considering how easy it is to get a Technician license and follow a few simple rules, risking the consequences of breaking the law just isn't worth it. Best thing you can do if you want to operate HAM in a SHTF world is to get a license now and learn the protocols, and above all, get to know the people involved.

Seepalaces and 3M-TA3 like this.
  2. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

I keep thinking that it would be great to do an emergency simulation where someone breaks in shrieking and won't get off the channel. I'll bet half of the team never even thinks about the alternate channel we set up. Of course, I'm a noob, so what do I know? But in SHTF, we won't be running about trying to get these folks, we'll be trying to get them off the channel while assuring them they've been heard. I assume.

3. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

This clearly isn't a plus for everyone, but my radios all came with scriptures posted on the boxes. So, I assume they aren't the best radios because everyone prefers the other companies, but they work for my needs at present.

3M-TA3 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  4. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

You order yours from this company? BaoFeng Radio - BaoFeng Tech
    If so, this may be why? About - BaoFeng Tech
    I think they are out of South Dakota.

I see another company / distributor, based out of Texas.

3M-TA3 and Seepalaces like this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

I have 5 or 6 BaoFeng UV5r handhelds. I bought the on the recommendation of a close friend who is 1) ex-Army Signal Corps 2) President of a Large Ham Club and 3) a man who has never steered me or anyone else I know wrong on radios. The BaoFeng I believe are a copy of an older Kenwood design and seems to get pretty good press. I have mine programmed for and use them primarily on UHF, they are of course capable of much more ;) I have beaten a coupleof them pretty well mounted on packs and on/off dirt bikes. I have not yet had a failure.

Andy

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Part of Good Planning is to have BackUps And Contingency Plans, already in Place, Long before they are needed... MonkeyNet is such a Plan.... Remember "Three is Two, Two is One, and One is To Stupid to live...."

ED GEiN, Seepalaces and Dunerunner like this.
  7. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Great quote!

8. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I've bought several of the Baofeng UV5r radios as well. They haven't seen much wear but my kids all use them as scanners at thier houses. There's a channel named Zimmy that's for emergency use only.

I'm the only HAM in the family. I wish I could get them interested but when kids grow up they get too busy.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Seepalaces likes this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

How bad do you think they might want to borrow the car keys?

Seepalaces and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I missed my window for HAM classes. Now they're in the 30's and have cars and kids to manipulate themselves.

Unfortunately the grandkids are a little young. They haven't even started real firearms training yet.

Seepalaces, Motomom34 and ghrit like this.
  11. ghrit

Here's where old age and treachery comes into play. Find a club that sponsors classes, offer to help teach it, drag the grands in and shame their parents into staying one jump ahead of the offspring----. (There are a slew of sub teen hams out there; they also shoot, and there's nothing wrong with having two hobbies that can last a whole lifetime.)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  12. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Yes, they are great radios.

Seepalaces and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  13. BTPost

Well not of the Kenwood quality, but I have 2 ea of them, and they have lasted 3 years in the Bush of Alaska... I give them to Guests so that they have Comms when walking around here, in the Fall, Winter and Spring.... Small, Dual Band, and fair Power Output, and reasonable Selectivity for the Price...

Seepalaces and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  14. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Baofengs are great for the money. I have a repeater built with two of them and a duplexer in a small case. The transmit one gets smoking hot but still keeps right on ticking. I have had failures of the volume pots and one that totally scrambled itself. Throw them in the trash and get another one.

15. ghrit

Very cool idea, that repeater lashup.
    For those paying attention to this thread, transmissions should be kept short and sweet for both OPSEC and transmitter section in the h/t cool. Heat promotes failure, especially in densely packed gadgets like h/t radios. They just ain't made for rag chews.

Tempstar likes this.
  16. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I've just recently discovered OH8STN's channel, I want to add a great big vote to watch a LOT of his videos if you have questions about radio in general, and specifically off-grid radio. Here's a terrific one I would recommend to anybody who ever wondered "which radio should I buy"

This advice applies to anybody who asks. No matter where you want to end up in comms, you're going to want to LISTEN a lot before you ever TALK. A police or race scanner is probably already in your house, or you can get one easily and inexpensively. Newer ones are needed to listen to police etc. who have started using trunking and encryption, so the older simpler scanners don't do those users any good any more. But those scanners are PERFECT for listening to UHF and VHF ham radio repeaters.
    An inexpensive shortwave radio will receive not only shortwave broadcast radio, but also ham HF bands. It takes a little nicer than basic shortwave receiver to have the feature which allows SSB. Again, these are found in many homes and can be purchased very inexpensively.
    These are never going to be wasted purchases. You can always listen using these devices even if you do get your license. These are simple to set up and leave on all the time, you wouldn't want to do that with your transceiver. You can monitor for anything interesting, then turn on your transceiver if you want to talk for a while.
    But bottom line is this practice listening will prepare you for when you do wish to transmit, you'll know the procedures.
    well... some of this isn't misguided, but ham radio does not include the 11m band, that's a different service. Yes, radio is radio, is radio. 11m is a poor choice for the CB purpose, but learning how to make 11m work is indeed useful to the other HF bands. Yes, use the free resources to learn. Yes, getting licensed is quite easy now, since none of the license classes require any Morse code. All the questions and answers are published and available online, and are used to make the practice tests, I used those as well. I could understand the purpose of dropping code requirement for the lowest class, but for the others I think it was a mistake. Still, even though code isn't required, it is still popular and useful, and recommended to learn.
    I'll split with you on the disdain for the licensees. If you don't like rules, then by all means, stick with CB.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Grandpa Patch and ghrit like this.
  17. 11 meters was a ham band. I don't recall when the FCC created the class D services, which include the licensed FM GMRS frequencies as well as the unlicensed AM/SSB CB frequencies . Many Young Hams are learning code, CW gets through where phone doesn't. Ham and GMRS licenses, CB, with no license is free.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  18. BTPost

The 11 Meter Band was removed from the Ham Radio Service and added to the Citizens Band Radio Service in 1958 as the Class D portion of the Citizens Band Radio Service.. Class A & B wete created in 1945 as a UHF 450-460 Mhz Radio Service, The difference was in the Technical Specs of the Transmitters. Class C was the Radio Control Service bundeled into the Citizens Band Radio Services. I was a young Ham Operator when this happened, and took to the new Service because they allowed cheaper Transmitters to operate in the Class D service. The antennas were easy for a yougster to design and build, and allowed Voice Comms right off.. Class A & B were never in the cards for me as in those days because of the costs for the Radios. was very Expensive. Most of these Radios were just reBranded Part 90 Radios, by the major OEMs. In todays marketplace Class A (GMRS) Radios are again mostly reBranded Part 90 Radios, and Part B (FRS) Radios are lower power consumer radios. Part C Radio Control has mostly been move to the 72 Mhz Band, however there is still a big following that uses the original 27 Mhz frequencies. Class D (Citizens Band Radio Service) had a channel upgrade back in 1977 to 40 Channels and SSB was also authorized, not that it was less expensive to produce due to Solid State Hardware entering the market Place...

Grandpa Patch, ghrit and Dunerunner like this.
  19. as1mov

as1mov Monkey

The YAESU FT-90 DUAL BAND looks like a good wee set and reasonably priced too.

1. Qwertyportne
  2. DKR
  3. William Warren
  4. Tully Mars
  5. sdr
  6. Southbound
  7. bumpshadow
  8. hitchcock4
  9. DKR
  10. SB21
  11. Bandit99
  12. sdr