So you say you've been in the prepping world for a long time?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by HK_User, Oct 3, 2015.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Take a look at this publication and note the date.
    FOOD STORAGE GUIDE AND COOKBOOK Spiral-bound – 1973
    FOOD STORAGE GUIDE AND COOKBOOK: Sam-Andy Foods: Amazon.com: Books
    [​IMG]

Yes I still have some of their dried food and if nothing else it will make some good chicken feed.
    I believe my first buy date was 1974.

HK

2. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

HK,
    They have a great website. Thank you very much!

HK_User and Ganado like this.
  3. HK_User

The best thing about SA other than their food, is their "system" and their recipe book and the fact that it fits in with their food packs.
    Unlike so many of the emergency food companies they provide a way to cook wholesome balanced meals. This was the main reason I made my first purchase with them. Having a wife and kids it was important to be able to feed them properly during outage from storm etc.
    Recipes from the
    Famous Sam Andy Cookbook
    1. Cheese Corn Bake

2 cups cooked corn
    1/4 cup milk powder
    1 tbsp. whole egg solids
    1 tbsp. minced onions
    1/2 tsp. salt Dash of pepper
    1/2 cup cheese powder
    1 cup soft bread crumbs
    2 tbsp. butter powder
    1-3/4 cup water
    Combine all dry Ingredients except bread crumbs and blend with water. Turn into a baking dish. In a separate bowl, toss the bread crumbs with the butter powder, and sprinkle over the corn mixture. Bake in a moderately hot oven (350°F) 25 to 30 minutes. Makes a nice side dish and serves 6.

2. Old Fashioned Potato Soup
    2 cups potato dices
    1/4 cup milk powder
    1/2 cup flour
    1 tbsp., whole egg solids 1 tbsp. butter powder
    1/4 cup dehydrated milk
    4 cups water

Boil the potatoes until soft. Drain. Add milk powder and water and mix thoroughly. Season to taste. Work the butter powder into flour and add 1 tbsp. whole egg solids that has been beaten with 1/4 cup milk. Drop by teaspoonfuls into hot milk. Cover saucepan and cook for 10 minutes. Serve at once. Makes 6 servings.

3. Beef Croquettes
    1 cup dehydrated beef flavored
    TVP Bits
    1/2 cup medium white sauce
    (see below)
    1 tbsp. beef consumee'
    1/8 tsp. pepper 1/8 tsp. dry mustard
    1 tbsp. whole egg solids dehydrated
    with 2 tbsp. water
    3/4 top. salt
    Bread crumbs

Combine TVP bits, beef consumee', white sauce, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper, and mustard. Shape into croquettes. Place the dehydrated egg mixture in a small bowl and add 1/8 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Dip the croquettes into bread crumbs, then into egg mix, and once again in the crumbs. Chill for 20 minutes. Fry in deep hot oil until golden brown. Drain and serve.

Medium White Sauce
    Place about 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. vegetable or cooking oil in saucepan. Add 2 tbsp. flour, 2 tbsp. butter powder, 1/2 cup Milk powder, 1/4 tsp.. salt, dash of pepper, and 1 cup of liquid (cream, milk, water) and mix thoroughly. Place pan over medium heat and stir briskly. Continue stirring as the sauce thickens while it cooks. Do not bum. Remove from heat when desired consistency is reached and use immediately, or cover tightly if it is to set for a few minutes. You can make any number of variations by adding onion, parsley, cheese powder, etc.

4. Bean, Carrot and Cabbage Salad
    2 cups cooked beans
    1/2 cup cooked cabbage dices
    1/2 cup cooked carrot slices
    1 tbsp. dehydrated onion slices 1/4 cup pickle Relish
    1/3 cup French dressing
    Salt

Drain all vegetables. Combine ingredients and mix lightly. Let chill for 15 to 30 minutes. Serve cold.

5. Fluffy Apple Gelatin Dessert
    1/2 cup orange gelatin
    1-1/2 cups apple granules
    reconstituted
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon 1 tsp. ground cloves
    1 cup boiling water
    2/3 cup cold water

Dissolve the gelatin in boiling water. Add cold water and chill the mixture until very thick. With mixer, whip until flufly. Fold in the reconstituted apple granules and spices. Spoon into individual molds or into an 8-inch square pan and chill until firm. Unmold or cut into squares. Serve with sweetened whipped cream.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    ditch witch, Tobit, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I'd forgotten Sam Andy...maybe there is a reason...

"This stuff is made from pure crap and tastes like crap because I think the makers of SAM ANDY foods know darn well that less than 1% of their customers will actually ever eat their product. It's like a gymn membership. They get you in the door and you sign a yr. contract but then after a week you drop out. With food storage, after the initial giddiness of having obeyed a major commandment has worn off you're stuck with trying to find a place to keep this crap, then it gets stuffed under beds, in the garage, or down in a dark dungeon in the back of the basement and disappears from the mind.

Hard times come and McDonalds offers it's dollar menu and that is a darn sight more appetizing than dehydrated pear flakes that when re-constituted look a lot like what your dog left on the lawn after eating that banana nut bread you left on the counter. (and I haven't tried the dog dropping but I have tried the reconstituted pear flakes and my bet for taste test winner would go with the dog droppings)

So the food sits and sits and eventually rusts or just festers inside the tin cans, the labels drying out and then falling off behind the shelving so pretty soon you aren't sure what the hell is in the cans. Opening them is like rolling the dice and you could end up with potato flakes or lima beans. Either way, it's a sure bet you're heading to McDonald's again for dinner." The source of this gem is related to a certain major group living in UT....

related -
    "Last week I bottled 85 quarts of very ripe peaches. I'd gotten the bottles at the thrift store for .50cents each so that part was a bargain. The peaches were free if we picked them so that was free. The sugar didn't cost that much nor the little metal lids. Investment in cash, $40.00. Time 22 hrs or so. If I were getting paid by the hour for the effort I think that would make each jar of peaches worth about $12.00 each. I'm pretty sure I can buy top of the line peaches for less, but they do look pretty on my shelf. "

22 hours seems a nit...slow. It's all good tho. We quit canning when sugar got so expensive - hard to beat mass-factory canned food for low cost (and low quality)...

Legion489 and Ganado like this.
  5. HK_User

Never did any pears. I do know the Banana Flakes are excellent as well as the other products, especially the dried fruits. IF you use the recipes and follow the directions then it works well.

As always you can buy a sample pack. Use it and then check like producst you purchase in bulk. Just as all freeze dried foods you need to allow more prep time.

I don't have a clue about your statement "It's like a gym membership."
    I purchased a needed amount at one time and had it shipped to my front door.

We ate for almost 2 weeks, after a hurricane, using the SA products. That for a family of 5.

Yes you need space to store a years supply of any food, yet another reason we have a lot of storage space in this place we built.

Same goes for water and tools.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  6. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Sam Andy foods is kinda of like a multi-level marketing scheme, like thrive foods is.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I love the Varina view points and if you don't like a product could you suggest an alternative that you do like? I for one would appreciate it. I've only bought canned butter and milk from Mountain House. someone on another thread posted a link to grandpappy 's storage but I can't find it now

HK_User likes this.
  8. HK_User

WE have a variety of foods, from MREs, Mountain House, Wise, Nitropak, and camping foods from REI.Try them and buy what works for you.
    If a company offers a recipe book then get it even if it cost money. These foods are different than even canned foods and be careful about the amount of sodium used as a preservative.
    Make sure you have a large area that allows you to inventory what is in stock. Inside the home and secure from floods and varmints.

Ganado likes this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Thanks @HK_User another food resource and excellent advice

10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

My bad - I didn't say anthing - this was from a site where folks were discussing Sam Andy foods - obviously not fans....

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It's safer to put the words of others between quotations. That way, one doesn't get hung for the actual (bad, silly, or otherwise unpopular words) of others. ;)

In text quotation marks missed...:coffee:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Ganado likes this.
  12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

The quotation marks are there. Obviously, overlooked.

chelloveck likes this.
  13. HK_User

Nor would that type admit that they did not like to cook.

I think their post is best placed in the "Heresay" category.

Ganado likes this.
  14. HK_User

Yup found it.
    The Ex-Mormon Forums

What can I say? Hate and discontent can be found in many forms.

Read from the above site and if nothing else it will show what not to do with any food storage plan. Good laughs if you're into others screw ups.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Ganado likes this.
  15. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I didn't start prepping at all until around 1999. I was however educated by my mother and several others about the wisdom of a well stocked pantry. As for canning and freezing , Paying myself 12 bucks a jar is pretty good profit if you ask me :) Sarcasm intended. We figure our time and cost is much less. Like a dollar a quart. We grow the garden so all the fruit and veggies are free as in we dont use household money to buy them. My time is better spent canning then watching television and I work enough as it is. Prep things you eat now and you wont have 20 year old cans of crap you never intended to eat. People ask me why do you cut wood and heat with wood. I respond I like paying myself for my fuel. I get 5 Cord of Oak for one 20.00 permit. That equals about 2400.00 in heating bills. I would be working overtime every week to buy that extra propane to heat this house.

HK_User, Ganado, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. john316
  11. Ganado
  12. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  13. DKR
  14. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes