Social Security

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nailbender, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Nailbender

Nailbender Monkey+++

I am debateing weither or not to take my ss. If you could would you ? I am no longer working.

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Why wouldn't you? It's your money, they took it, take back what you can and put it in one of your grandkids college fund if you don't want to spend it.

3. Nailbender

Nailbender Monkey+++

I was just thinking about it building up if I waited but then again the difference would take umpteen years to make up.
    Already let one year go by, think I will call them tomorrow.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Roll the dice, SS is based on actuarial tables. If your gene pool is long lived, hold off until FRA. If not long lived, get started as soon as possible, assuming you are old enough. From your posts, I take it you are close to FRA. No point to delaying past that, no gain from it that I have been able to see.

Luck. I started the draw at 62, then came off it to go back and pick up an opportunity that was too good to pass up. Makes about 600 frns difference in the draw come FRA.

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Are you talking about taking it as in monthly checks? Or do they have a lump payout amount? If it's monthly, and you can live without it right now, put that $$ into something that will really make your grandkids smile someday.. like Silver or Gold.

6. Nailbender

Nailbender Monkey+++

Not FRA, I be 63 today

7. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Gawd.....you ARE older than dirt, ain't ya ? ahahahaaaaaaaaaaa....

I'd take it TODAY bud....you run the numbers, most people have to live to about 76 before the "wait for full retirement" amount starts to make more money sense......

Like these other guys have said, if you don't need it right now, put it in PMs.....consider it insurance for down the road.

Remember the words of Alan Greenspan: "We can absolutely guarantee benefit payments.....but we can not guarantee purchasing power".......which means they can cover you up in paper that may not be able to buy anything.

8. Nailbender

Nailbender Monkey+++

I'll dirt ya [raspberry]

9. <exile>

<exile> Padawan Learner

Absolutely!

If it bothers you Nailbender just PM me and I'll pass along my info to send me the checks ok?
    Comply, I said COMPLY taser1 (just needed to try out the new smilie)

10. Nailbender

Nailbender Monkey+++

Yes Sir.

11. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Monkey+++

Bender, take the money now. I did, and now I but a once of gold every month plus some smokes.

With inflation at 10+% and them only giving you 2.8% if you wait it makes no sense.

AE

12. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

No opinion on the matter....... just Happy Birthday.

13. Nailbender

Nailbender Monkey+++

I appreciate that, Thank you

14. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Take the money and run, while the getting is good and there is money to be had. I'll be lucky to see any of my money, since I have 19 yrs. before I'm eligible to draw any benefits. I'd rather see somebody who deserves get what's owed to them than others getting benefits who never paid a dime into the system.

Take the money and run [boozingbuddies]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7