SOL BIVY QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Snake_Doctor, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Snake_Doctor

Snake_Doctor Call me Snake...

I've been considering one of the SOL Bivy's to replace or enhance the Wal-mart space blanket in the survival gear in my hiking fanny pack. Unfortunately the catalogues don't answer some of my questions. So I thought I'd ask them here.
    Are they as warm as they claim?
    What is the closure system?
    How hard are they to reroll/refold into factory size and put back in that tiny stuff bag they come with?
    On a similar note has anyone used the emergency tube tent made of space blanket material? If so, how well did it perform? What size is the package as it comes from the factory?
    Thanks for any information and advice you can offer on this.
    Snake

2. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Several you tube vids on all three of their offerings. Having used the mylar tube tents myself I believe the SOL solutions are better.

3. Snake_Doctor

Thanks

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I have 3 of the Escape models in OD green. The escape is breathable so you can sleep in it without getting wet.

They are quite durable and close with a drawsting. I haven't tried one outside (they are stored in emergency truck kits) but most things like this are pretty toasty. The green ones are kinda tough to find but I think I found a store called survivalmetrics.com or something like that. I bet you could actually use it as a regular backpacking bag for a season before it would need replacement. As an emergency kit - it should last forever.

5. Snake_Doctor

Thanks melbo

The escape bivy seems massive in it's package when compared with the original SOL Bivy. They could be narrower and mummyshaped to conserve more heat IMHO

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014
  6. melbo

Indeed, it's much larger than the original but I've read that if you ever have to use the original, you'll wake up 100% soaked through in sweat. It's not massive and is certainly smaller than my most lightweight Western Mountaineering down bag.

oldawg likes this.
  7. Snake_Doctor

I just watched a video where the escape bivy closed down it's length with velcro

8. melbo

I'm 98.55% certain mine is a zipper down the side with a drawstring around the a face opening but will double check when I get home.

9. Snake_Doctor

nah don't dig it out, yopu'll have to repack it

10. limpingbear

limpingbear future cancer survivor....

I had one of the original SOL bivy bags. mine closed halfway down with Velcro tabs and was closed up the rest of the way. I used mine as a bag cover for a 30 degree bag in less than ideal conditions....I think it dropped to well below zero that night. The combo of the bivy as a cover and the bag inside, and I was toasty warm. beware however in that it does hold in moisture and doe not breath. And they are a pain in the butt to re-roll and stuff into their original bag....

11. Snake_Doctor

Thaks for the infoBear. Much appreciated

12. melbo

My 2013 OD Sol Escape is zipper closure (just checked).
    It's not hard to repack at all and I think I actually got it a lot tighter than how it shipped. Might try to vacuum pack one and see how flat and small it can get.

When spring comes, I'm going to test one of these Get Home Bags with a night or two out.

13. Snake_Doctor

Hey Melbo. Thanks for goin to all the trouble to check. Much appreciated.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7