Solar/crank powered radio

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Huntinbull, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Missed your post.

Most NPR and quite a few AM/FM/TV stations have a studio and links to remote transmitting sites that serve different areas. My daughter worked for a TV station's studio site. They had one studio site that fed a few transmit sites. Or local news may be 50 miles from local. :)

A lot of FM radio stations have a studio in town and a remote amp and antenna site on a mountain. They use a control link to send their programming to the remote.
    NPR went to one studio and state wide remote transmit sites in the 1980s. A good ham bud was the station engineer for a local site than lost his job.

When they lost the link; they'd sent their mobile unit there to stay on the air. I don't mind heights and it pays real well. So I used to part time for a company who did antenna repair. Typically, they'd announce they were going off the air and we'd fix the problems. Cut the power, put our lock on the panel and up the tower.

Typically it was a water problem in a connection or hardline. Rarely, there was a real issue that required re-tuning the tower. Phasetek, KIntronics blah blah. :D:D

As they needed their mobile unit (the one they used for events) to transmit; I doubt taking over the remote site could be used to transmit.
    That means a "take over" would need to be where the studio is or in a city or a town with all the associated LE and SWAT issues.

Most of the above wasn't for BT. :D

As BT said a useless exercise in futility. Unless they are on the air for the big take over; however, then what do you do with what you took over? Point is, it's Hollywood.

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

As an aside, ETON and Grundig radios are both made by TECSUN in China. Kaito doesn't make any radios - most are rebranded Chinese Degen radios.

The Eton corporation bought the naming rights to Grundig. They rebranded former Eton radios as Grundig in the USA; but they are still sold as Eton in Europe (where they don't own the Grundig trademark).

Furthermore, the Grundigs are all made in China,. . The Grundig G3 and G5 are made by Degen, the G8 is a rebranded Tecsun and Degen, Tecsun and Redsun are often made side by side in the PRC.

Doesn't matter how they are 'engineered', but how they are made. QC is very spotty in TECSUN rigs, so if you do purchase one, ensure the vendor has a well defined return policy. As for the others, I'll take a pass altogether.

Another player, in SW radios, is Sangean, out of Taiwan. The ATS 909 is their flagship HF radio, and I have used mine for years, very stable and the radio can be adjusted to be 'on frequency' - I use mine as a spotter radio on the HF bands while out camping.

Bottom line, like most anything else, you generally get what you pay for....

3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

As convenient is it is to have a single small package that does a big load of things.
    One minor failure and the whole thing is a brick you can't fix . I assume you know nothing about electronics.
    Though I understand electronics to some degree, I'm not an engineer, but I know this .
    I believe in separate components, and several ways to power them as well.
    For sending and receiving , radios of this sort take specific antenna and they are not interchangeable .
    For receiving it is best to have the antenna that matches the frequency being received.
    Antenna that are not with in range are not going to function to their potential.
    I recommend a set of solar panels. one for use and the rest in faraday protection. Nothing (to my knowledge) has been concluded as to their survivability during an EMP or CME. Smaller solar panels can be tied daisy chained for voltage or parallel for amplitude.
    Depending on your battery arrangement. You should learn how to set these things up well ahead of time.
    All kinds of batteries can be recharged again, I have even recharged those that were not designed for it , that's me.
    Don't depend on that .
    Best investment is batteries designed for recharging and a controller or the discipline to do it your self you wear the responsibility your self. Also the tools to know what is going on with your system.
    Separate radios for different frequency ranges .
    If all you have are in one radio and it dies your done , conversely several radios allows you to monitor several frequencies at the very same time . This is a far greater advantage. Though scanners pick up a wide range of frequencies they only listen to one at a time. People are going to be careful about long winded transitions not wanting to be triangulated on .
    If there are any commercial radio stations going , wit out in infinite power source they won't be running long either.
    Listening takes less energy than transmitting, and the volume you listen draws accordingly.

Gafarmboy likes this.
  1. JA40
  2. ED GEiN
  3. Southbound
  4. hitchcock4
  5. Bandit99
  6. Bandit99
  7. DKR
  8. DKR
  9. BTPost
  10. scpn
  11. Hanzo