Solar Install for a neighbor

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by TnAndy, Jan 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Not off grid, but a 10kw grid tied solar install I did for a neighbor last year. We used Hyundai 250w panels and Enphase micro inverters. Frame is 2" galvanized pipe welded on site, with 2x2x3/16ths galvanized angle across the pipe frames for mounting the panels.

Hope you enjoy !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made a big wood "square" to get the panels starting off good and square to the racking.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Wow....
    Mind letting us know the rough $ cost?

3. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I think he had about 20 grand in it total, including paying me and helper 4k.

Yard Dart, tacmotusn and ghrit like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Fantastic!!
    How was battery storage work for the install?

chelloveck likes this.
  5. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Yes this is very interesting!

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

YD
    Not off grid, but a 10kw grid tied solar

7. Yard Dart

Why would you not have storage for when the grid goes down.... that does not make sense to not build that in, regardless of on grid capability?

8. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Ah yes that's the catch, or the plus... no batteries in a Enphase grid-tied system, that looks like 45 panels, for my power company to approve that I would have had to put in a 300 Amp Service Entrance Panel, something about the dang NEC and current and stuff that my Lectric Engernging degree didn't cover. Looks good, I've got 35, I think they are Sharp 235 Watt. I have the Schneider XW6848, just need the batteries, and move some stuff around in my garage to hook it all up. The 6848 will give a grid-tie system the reference voltage and frequency to make the Enphase micro inverters believe that they are still attached to the grid...

Rancher

9. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

The additional cost is why it's not built in, I'm guesstimating $6-8K to make mine work that way.
    The XW6848 means 6.8KW capacity with a 48 volt battery bank.

Rancher

10. Cruisin Sloth

Money & Politics
    Second one is a ratio that prevents you making power & back feeding !! So YOU STAY IN LINE !!!
    Your dependent on the grid to make !!
    eyes clear YD ?

11. Yard Dart

$$$$ makes the world go round. But IMO, I would have the storage to use my system if SHTF. If I had to down size the total panel install to make a battery solution economically viable, that would be my route.

chelloveck likes this.
  12. Yard Dart

I understand the regulatory side of things.... but in all practical matters for "me", I would have the gear, batt's and so on to tie into the panels if the need arises......that is all I am saying....have the capability!!

chelloveck likes this.
  13. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I'm working on the capability, but the power company won't kick in any percentage of it, I'm not even sure I can claim any of it under the 30% Fed Tax rebate, do we have any Tax Monkeys here?

Rancher

chelloveck likes this.
  14. Cruisin Sloth

Im sure that In time a grid tie will have a few cells & be a grid-tie stand-alone , but then a whole set of new rules will apply , so the power companys know they are needing clean cheap power .

Sloth

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  15. Neelstha

Neelstha Monkey

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  16. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

So why not utilize the power during the day and just have a small storage bank for overnight?

1. T. Riley
  2. TnAndy
  3. DKR
  4. Prepper12
  5. Yad Tsalach
  6. Gafarmboy
  7. TnAndy
  8. Sojourn
  9. Yard Dart
  10. jcsok
  11. Cruisin Sloth
  12. ED GEiN