solar panel for charge car battery in woods

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by toolbelt99, Jan 30, 2021.

1. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I like this idea, as ive thought of something similar that you might could answer for me. I was thinking of hooking up an alternator to an old Hit and Miss motor. Their fuel consumption is very low , and can be quieted ( I think ) a little easier than a normal gas engine. but with the H&M motor, it won't turn at a constant speed , will this drastically efect charging rate , or hurt the alternator by the rise and fall of the rpm's of the motor . Thanks for any help on this.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

As long as the H&M has enough horsepower it will work. I ran mine with a belt around the flywheel that was about 20" in diameter to the stock alternator pulley, and used a 1 wire GM alternator. The regulator kept the voltage dead on 13.6 vdc. An H&M motor won't miss as much as it hits when you load it down. I think mine was 9 horsepower and hooking up a battery and some lights to it used to bog it down pretty good until the charge came up in the battery. All this was before I wised up and went diesel....

Gator 45/70, arleigh, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Thank you for the info. I was mainly looking at mostly just being able to run a few lights and low voltage consumption appliances. I have looked into a few old military diesel gensets ,, but at the moment do not have the setups to be storing diesel fuel. But that might possibly change soon. Thanks again.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Yanmar makes a good single-cylinder engine diesel engine, I have one that direct-drives a 6500 wat gen effortlessly.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Probably shouldn't reveal my source, but equipment auctions for used light plants yields some deals on (mostly) 6.5kw diesel gensets.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Thanks for this info ,, im not experienced in electrical stuff and was wondering what it would take to run a small house ,, would 6.5kw do it ?

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In bush Alaska, my neighbors routinely operate their whole outfits on about 4 Kw peak generated power. This covers most everything except an electric cloths dryer, and. electric cooking stove. These are usually Propane fueled... Most folks have Inverter/Charger w Battery Systems, to keep the Genset operations down to Battery Charging and big loads like laundry washing, and water pumping...

SB21 likes this.
  8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That would be my peak load times ,, clothes washing,, drying, if its to cold to dry outside. And running compressors and , Table saws , chop saw , planers and welders , grinders in the shop.
    I know this is a wild guess as you have different options, but what is a good ballpark price for a genset of that size ??? Thanks all .

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Loaded Question.... BigBox Store Price for Consumer Junk $500US... Used Onan 1800Rpm Gasoline Genset, Varies widely... Onan 3Kw Diesel DJA USED $500- $1500 depending how bad you want one, if you can find one... I bought a 12.3Kw Water cooled Lister Diesel genset for $700US, two years ago and got it installed last year... Way bigger that I need, but with a Diesel Genset, once you pay for getting it turning over, the Fuel usage to Power Drawn is very linear, and efficiency is very good. Where-as Gasoline fueled Gensets are not even close to linear in the same way... I have a Fairbanks Morse 45B 1200Rpm Diesel 3Kw that ran my whole outfit on a Gallon per day basis for 5 years... It all depends on what you need, and how good the deal is when you find what works for you...

SB21 likes this.
  10. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

If you want enough to handle all that, you're probably looking at 20kw or more. Here is one on eBay:

KUBOTA 20 KW DIESEL GENERATOR | eBay

SB21 likes this.
  11. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

@toolbelt99

This thread has gone from charging a battery in the woods to a full blown generator setup to run a complete shop. What is it you really want, and maybe more to the point, on line research will help you figure it all out. Not ONE monkey will fail to help you with focused questions, but geez this thread is all over the map.

TnAndy and SB21 like this.
  12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yes sir ,, you're righ . And my apologies to Toolbelt99 for derailing your post here. Ive just been working in this area im in for a little over a year now ,, and have enough work to last another year and a half at least. So ive been looking at buying some land and setting up shop. Ive found some cheap land , but its at least a 1/2 mile from the closest power pole, which is why i may be needing these power options,, my power usage won't be running all of that stuff at the same time,, I've found a 1/2 acre that i can get ,,, cheap,,,, but the power issue is my 1'st dilemma at the moment.. anyway,, sorry Toolbelt ,, im out ,, for now ,, thanks guys .

13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Holy crap ,, thats just a couple hours north of me now ,,, time for me to $hit or get off the pot ,, let me get to doing some homework ,, quick,,,, thanks TnAndy..

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7