Solar Panel Mounting Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by T. Riley, Sep 2, 2023.

1. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I need to mount a solar panel on a six-inch-wide deck railing at the beach. It is for backup purposes only, so I want to be able to mount it and take it down without a lot of work. We get a lot of wind, and I may need to take it down quickly. It can mount on either the long or short side of the panel. It will be on the west side of my beach house. I would like to be able to tilt it toward the setting sun. Any idea's, rough drawings, off the shelf suggestions. There may be 4 of them. One panel I am looking at is 43.3 x 35 x 1.18 inches. I was looking at it because of it is about a foot shorter than most 200-watt panels and two will fit between the deck post. I live in a HOA regulated area and panels would have to be roof mounted, flat against the roof, if they were permanent. I can build most anything with aluminum channel and angle. The railing runs NE by SW. Beach house is at Latitude: 29° 22' 30.59" N. Suggestions?
    Solar Panel.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2023
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

First thing that came to mind is a couple of brackets to hook over the top of the railing and a couple legs to push the panel bottom out to the appropriate angle. Have the legs so they can pivot for storage, and have them so they can straddle a couple of the ballisters...maybe have a loop to lock around the railing at each bracket and leg to keep the panel from becoming airborn.

If you really want to be creative, have the legs telescope to adjust for different seasons.

T. Riley likes this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have seen panel tilt racks on ebay.

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Mount the panels on the railing.

5. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I need them at a 26.3 degree angle. If I fix mount them would the hold up in a 20 mph wind you think?

6. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Given your situation I would build a shed in the back yard and mount the panels on it.
    A good place to put the battery bank as well.

T. Riley likes this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

if you mount on your house the insurance is effected . I don't use that system on my house , it never pays . I have mine mounted with gas stove and airtight wood stove and Im free and clear of the BS Insurance ..

T. Riley likes this.
  1. TnAndy
  2. DKR
  3. Prepper12
  4. Yad Tsalach
  5. Gafarmboy
  6. TnAndy
  7. Sojourn
  8. Yard Dart
  9. jcsok
  10. Cruisin Sloth
  11. ED GEiN