Solar panels in parallel - Partial shading question

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by melbo, Mar 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Looks like about all you need for the batteries is there. The capacity varies with the draw, for example, at the two hour rate, the battery can provide 146 ah. Extend that to 100 hours, you can have 250 ah. So the load makes a difference, small load, more recovery available. That's per battery, so with more than one it is additive.

Two hour rate means how fast you can take power out. Effectively, that tells you how long the battery will last under load without dropping the voltage available at the terminals too low. Take the 20 hour rate, you can take 225 ah out without straining the can. (I picked 20 hour just because full sun won't be available for the dawn to dusk range.) Knowing now how many ah you have on tap, you can read the nameplates for your intended loads, add 'em up, and you'll know if you can run them, and for how long. Note that ah relates directly to watt hours, not watts; you'll have to convert manually factoring in the times.

I'll defer on the solar parts of the system, I'm not familiar enough to get very specific. But, the panel details will give some guidance for loading the charge controller, and how to program it to charge the batteries.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you could score some of the ABSOLYE IIs that I suspect we're installed to backup your Switch Gear Controllers, they have a really good Power Curve... Maybe when they come up for Grade Out...

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

In Land yacht mode, most of the internals are 12 V: Water pumps, lighting, refer, water heater blower, fans, etc. That was why I figured that I'd need to keep this at 12 V and was also told by others that I'd be better off with 4 6 V than 4 12 V for my needs although this was based around my brief explanation of the requirements Initially, I figured that it would take me 440 Ah to allow me to stay out for 4 days without bringing a gennie along. Then I got to thinking about adding solar and now onto multi-purposing things.

4. melbo

Already in the plan. I say a small prayer at every quarterly battery test.
    60 2.25V jars in total for 135 V DC

5. BTPost

Yep, I have a Bank here, and Andy has a BIG Bank at his place... Oh, and if you have more Money than Brains. There are the Lithium Batteries, like used on the 787s, that have a GIANT Power Density.... Really expensive, but Way Cool....

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Cool's ass, they burn.

7. BTPost

Only if you let the Amps out, unRegulated.... It is all about Power Density... And that is why Lithium Cells are NOT Allowed in BULK as Air Cargo, on a Flight with Passengers.... Same DOT Class as Primary Explosives...

8. BTPost

9. melbo

Tully Mars likes this.
  10. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Can someone tell be the difference between his inverter and my prowatt 2000 other than cost?

11. melbo

I don't know that inverter but I do know that Xantrex (made in China) is not currently known for its longevity or forgiveness in load surge. It's also light whereas my Outback 2812 VFX (Made in U.S.) probably weighs close to 50 pounds. I wanted to buy the best I could. Once.

T. Riley likes this.
  12. BTPost

The weight difference is in the Iron Core of the Transformer..... More iron, better quality...

T. Riley likes this.
  13. melbo

My parents live aboard a boat and he told me to buy my inverter 'by the pound' :)

Ganado likes this.
  14. melbo

I also think that Xantrex is the reason the old Trace engineers all left and started their own US companies.

15. BTPost

Inverters and Batteries are bought by the Pound....

1. Navyair
  2. Cwmoore
  3. CrazyJs
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid