Solar panels on roof?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by JRR, Dec 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JRR

JRR Monkey

Yeah, I just hunted down an adapter for mine. Oddly enough, I found an adapter for a Dell computer that worked.

2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Is that per month ? That would be a huge system to power that load .
    You need to trim that usage of power . Drop the electric stove / dryer to be a [​IMG]

The way of life needs to adapt to be off grid .
    This solar stuff really depends where you are , the sun gods have left maps of all the worlds sun mapping .
    So , your best bet is to do a Grid tie & cut back on toasted bread & learn to conserve .
    Sloth

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Those panels should produce around 1kwh.
    Charge, discharge and inverter losses expect only around 1/2 to 3/4 of panel power to make it to where it needs to go.

4. JRR

JRR Monkey

I tend to ramble, so perhaps I was unclear. I do not plan on running a washer or dryer or electric stove off solar. I listed the devices I plan on powering.

Here's a list off the top of my head of what I need to power:
    Water pump - used very infrequently.
    Laptop
    Router
    Refrigerator - 2.5 amp-hours with 30-40% duty cycle
    Freezer
    Fan
    CPAP machine - 3 amps or so 8 hours a night, if I'm lucky.
    Lights - Might try and get by with 10 watt bulbs, might have to go brighter.
    TV - Mine has been on 3 times this year.
    Microwave - Use a couple times a week for a couple minutes.
    Charge a cellphone, flashlight, drill, etc.
    Lights, CPAP, laptop, fridge, water pump, fan(s) and tv are all dc, inverter will power the freezer and microwave, and anything else needed.

5. Cruisin Sloth

Im sticking with my first post , Since Im Grid Tie & run a huge hanger/shop that is 250Kwh when in use ,summer .
    Grid tie , Battery back-up Conext 6848 120/240 with what your thinking .

6. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

I use less than 10 k per month. You jeep to go with a propane fridge,run freezer only during peak day hours, no fan, no cpap (huge draw after charging hours). No microwave or toaster. Only plug things in when needed.

My directv gets plugged in a few hours a month other than that the tv,receiver is unplugged. All power is shut down from bedtime tull wake time. I've been able to live this way with a wife and teenage son for 2.5 years on 2 75watt panels, 2 350ah crown batteries and a 400watt inverter. I'm about 3-4 months out from my 10k system but living with this small of a system has taught us how to conserve like crazy.

JRR likes this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

That is realistic usage
    Jay man will love his new system ,Teen sone is better that teen girls Im sure ;)

VT

8. Im with you on this one, if there is a deepwell water pump in this picture you are gonna have a helluva big battery bank and inverter to handle the startingload on that alone. The well pump on the property we live on will suck generator down by inself. Going completely offgrid definitely takes some thought and practice in energy conservation.

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

What. we do around here, is use the Genset to power the BIG Loads, like Dryer, Washing Machine, Water Pumps, and the like, especially during the winters, where Daylight is limited to 5 or 6 hours a day, and that is only. when the Sky is Clear & Cold...During the summers, when Daylight can be as much as 18 hours most of the Solar Arrays can handle most of the Electrical Requirements, except maybe. the Water Pumps... We deal with those by having Domestic Water Storage Tanks, say 500 to 1000 USG, and then fill those up, and then transfer from then into a 350USG Tank that feeds the Cabin Water System... This way you only use the Genset, when things are Solar Poor, and the Batteries are getting low, and you need to fill. the Storage Containers...

10. Cruisin Sloth

My system of Midnite Context has a AGS (auto gen set starting) so If the well pump is needed It signals on to the conext , if the inverter is loaded past it's set point (I set & pick it) then the AGS fires the Diesel genset up , Load is synced & picked up , well pump is turned on .
    Gen will run for 20 mins least time & charge the batterys , Gen load is 70% rated for charging & picking up the household load,

Sloth

BTPost likes this.
  11. Thats what we do in our tinyhouse. I have a 50 gallon tank with a small Sureflo pump, accumulator tank, filter and fill it about every 3 days. The pump doesnt pull much head but, is enough to pressurize our house if you can deal with the noise every time you use the water.

12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

People shy away from battery solar not wishing to become proactive in this endeavor .
    Actually I'd love solar even more if batteries lasted as long as the panels , and some day that might actually become true. At least I'm half way there .I got into solar purely because the electric company takes "no, zip, nada " responsibility for black or brown outs or spikes .
    I'm not fond of the idea of having to use a hand saw to cut plywood or hammer and chisel to cut angle iron , or wash board to clean my clothes . I'll use those when I have to ,and then at that time there likely be nothing else to do to occupy my time .
    Living on the desert with solar was great during the summer, but during the winter months the sun was too low in the south to be effective so a small engine and alternator made up the difference.
    I have a wind mill now where I live added to the system and it's nice during the winter having the power ,not having to run the small engine/ alternator though it's still available if I NEED IT.

1. T. Riley
  2. Prepper12
  3. Oddcaliber
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid