solar panels will 'draw" looters,

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by rictus, Nov 9, 2010.

1. rictus

rictus Monkey+

as will smoke, flame/light at night, shooting, chain saw or other noise. If s REALLY hits the fan, people will be out of water in 2-3 days, out of food nearly as soon, desperate, dying, diseased, injured, scared silly, off their meds, mad at the world, etc. Don't kid yourself about this, your life may easily be riding upon your preps. If it's not a total shtf, as in the $ is toilet paper, why not just move to where the problem (whatever it is, flood, fire, drought, quake, etc) doesn't exist?

2. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Nope. I'll already be bugged-in at my ranch waiting for idiots.

3. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Laying in extra BBQ sauce, waiting for the "other white meat" to show up.

4. Falcon15

Sooooooo-eeeee pig pig pig.

5. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

ANYTHING remotely useful will bring looters. A couple of "heads on pikes" might make them think twice.

6. Falcon15

I guess I better not make any head shots then. Skulls on fenceposts work too...

7. enough

enough Monkey++

"advertising" is still my biggest hold up on purchasing a solar system. We even had a power buy back system in MI that made sense to pay for the rather large array in just under 2.5 years.

I'm bugging-in in a smaller community, but my only placement option requires them to be seen by the road.

About three years ago, I saw a retractable antenna mast that I wanted, but hesitated to buy. In hindsight, it would have been perfect for a wind turbine that I could put up at night, and bring down in the morning. I live on a hilltop, so I get a breeze throughout the night. The ability to hide it during the day would have been golden.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I would suggest that holes in the skulls might be a touch more convincing.

9. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Neither my system, nor my house is visible from the road ( end of the road, actually ), but all the neighbors know I have a system. Nice thing about the valley I live in is there is only two ways in/out, and both are quite controllable by falling timber. Couple hours work, and both roads would take months to clear.

10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have a location for a solar panel array that is not visible to the road or any neighbors - and I do NOT let them know of my preps. My new generator will soon be in a suppressed housing with bigger muffler. Goal is to have NO sound or visible 'preps' for power that the neighbors or passers-by will notice.

11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Consider using a wagon to move your solar array around...(if it's a small12 volt system) you can always hide it in your garage... I'm considering using the top of my 2 story pack house to house them... 75 yards is a good range...

12. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Crap, they let meyah out?

From the "so easy to snipe you, burn you out" thread:

13. ghrit

"Tactical wheelbarrow."

14. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

It's got to be him.
    Someone should sound the alarm that Gunkid's back. Were we supposed to use one if by land or two if by sea?

15. ghrit

GK wasn't this stupid, was he? Well, maybe ---

16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I noticed the hole-in-the-ground trope too

Early release for "göod" behaviour???? : O

It would explain a lot..

17. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Watched way too many Mad Max movies in the clink...?

18. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

A single mast unless very large would not even begin to work for a wind generator. It would be bent when the wind generator was working on it in no time flat or even at a small wind evening . See my blog which I created just for wind generators. It is about the smallest you would be able to get buy with. You need guy wires to keep it up there or it will be layed over crashing on the ground or even your house

19. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

I moved to my place about 15 years ago, and it is about 26 miles from the nearest town of about 7,000 people. We found this place after about a year of looking here which is located in a small private valley. We placed our mobil home sideways to the front gate about 300 feet from us, and then built a solar building in the rear of the mobil, which is still on the downward side. After I installed my first panels, I was happy to see that in fact you cannot see them from our front gate. You can see our wind generator, however, to get to my first gate, you need to drive almost 1/4 mile down our private driveway which is sideways to our mobil, and just about the same level. Heavy trees, although not very tall, make it almost impossible to see our entire place. I have electronic alarms which moniter the long driveway and our drive gate, and then a compound fence around our mobil and solar buildings, which also contain our DOGS. That is about the best you can do. Be mostly invisible, hard to get to , let alone find, and not have any close neighbors per se. Then , there is me. Being old military from the mid sixties, I don't have much to lose and don't really fear too much of anything anymore. Did I mention that the last 6 miles to our driveway are really not much more then an old wagon trail to the original ranch headquarters that was split up into 40 acre parcels years and years ago. ? So, being so far off the beaten path and so far from any kind of towns of any size, I do feel fairly safe here in the event of the shtf.

The harder you are to find and get to, the easier it would be to protect what you have. This is how we looked for our land. Works for me.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7