Solar power help!

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Itchba, Apr 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have some LiFePO4 batteries and I don't think I would recommend them for off grid.
    If they are charged when the stack temperature is less than 20°F you can permanently damage capacity.
    Then on top of that they suffer severe cold weather numbing.
    On the opposite end of the spectrum, if they get too hot using them will damage capacity and shorten their life.
    So if you did go lithium you would have to keep them heated and cooled.
    I'm sticking with lead acid.

Seepalaces likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Easy enough to deal with that temp issue, put them in abox 1 foot below the FrostLine... Earth Temps are very Stable at that depth... and if they decide to go Thermal Runaway, they can’t burn your house down...

Seepalaces and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

"Box" can serve other purposes if big enough. Whether it is solely for batteries or can have other things in it, consider access for battery maintenance as well. Think small prefab septic tank ---

If it were me, I would put the box bottom at fire department's depth of bury requirement for water pipes. Pretty conservative, but as far as I know there's never been a freeze failure in fire water services. (But I blew one out of the ground doing a hydrostatic test on a brand new pipe a "few" years ago --)

Seepalaces likes this.
  4. BenP

BenP Monkey++

LiFePO4 batteries have excellent thermal stability and I chose them because I wanted something safe I could keep indoors. They also have an amazing lifespan, the ones I bought are good for 3000 cycles and after that they still have 80% of their original capacity. You can also drag them down below 50% charge without fear of damaging them which gives you some flexibility if you do not have constant sun.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That's the other thing. I would never put them inside.

6. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

What about a cob hut above ground with 18inch walls, thinking of doing a root storage room this way, would that work for the batteries?

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That should work.

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yes do get a kill-a-watt meter. It's pretty hard to screw one of them up.
    I'm guessing you tube has how vids on how to use a multi functuon meter.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  9. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

Ill let you guys know when I get more info. With the meter ill read all the stuff im using now and update here. Could be a week or so I hope Im moving soon!

10. ghrit

If you start a motor, the killawatt meter will NOT record or show the starting draw. That will still need to be estimated when sizing your system.

11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

the BAT phone lol so can i be Robin to your Batman?

12. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

I've fooled around with solar since a teenager. The problem as many folks have hinted at is that until you know your requirements plus a little energy to spare, you're liable to set yourself up for disappointment.

However, having said that, here is a set up that should be very useful...their video shows them using it as the power for a construction site. Given that it is mounted to a trailer, you could store your pilferable supplies in it, and lock it to a tree on site.

When my daughter got commissioned, I bought her one of these poly trailers (larger size, a Yuppie Wagon which also has potential, but isn't flat topped) to carry her meager possessions around...the things are darned near indestructible. I've always wanted to buy one of these trailers bare bones and build my own solar set ups and put my bug out gear in it. Seems to me to be a nearly perfect way to consolidate storage, esp if you have an indoor storage area to keep it out of the public eye.

SOLAR EQUIPMENT HOME PAGE

For my daughter's trailer, I coated the undercarriage, floor and all steel with liquid bedliner, installed some LED lights inside (and converted tail lights to LED's, but I think all are LED now), and installed some tie down rings inside to secure loads from shifting. Then when I got done, I thought "dang, this is nice enough to keep!" Nice gift, and it got her around while she was in flight school, for the first 3 yrs, and now makes a good personal effects trailer when she has military moves. (Guns, alcohol, high value stuff you don't send with commercial movers).

Cruisin Sloth and arleigh like this.
  13. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

6 gauge wire from battery to inverter,eh? That's what I use from the panels to charge controllers and 0000 from the batteries to inverter.

Seems a bit light...

14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I think the trailer is the best way to set up solar .

15. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Here's a question for some. I got my power bill today. $ 62. Just under 250 kilowatt hours. Is there a way to guesstimate what kind of setup I would need to support this ?? . 2nd question,,,,,does someone make 12 volt bulbs that have the standard size light socket threaded end , to use with standard house fixtures?

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

2.5 mega watt hours?
    The you are using about 83 kwh per day.
    To generate 83kwh per day you will need about 19kw of panels installed for a grid tied setup. For true off grid you would need more like 40kw of panels installed.
    For grid tie, oh some where around $60,000. For true off grid you are talking more like double that and then some.

17. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

No, .25 MWh 250 kWh is .25 (1/4) of a MWh

Huge difference in what will be needed. Less than 10kWh/day.

18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Well , I sure as hell can't put 60 grand into a solar setup . Doing the math , if I paid a 100 bucks a month for power , it would take 50 years to pay of that 60 grand. I figure I might have 15 years left in me. I might just hook up a few more 12 volt lights and use them more to stick it to the man,, lol,,,
    How much power does a power converter consume transferring 12 or 24 volts into 120 volts. Not sure if I'm thinking about this right or not ,

19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Okay, a normal summer time power bill is around usually 2,000kwh.
    If you do actual 250kwh a month, during the summer which is very unusual then you actually could do off grid.

20. ghrit

Ah, no! 0.25MWH Math must be checked!!

FWIW, I use under 400KWH per month, bill runs a bit under 60bux.

SB21 likes this.
  1. Navyair
  2. Cwmoore
  3. CrazyJs
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid