Solar Powered Winter Heating - please help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cwinslow, Jun 18, 2017.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Solar power will work nicely in Florida. Living in a vehicle in NE will at best wear you down and get you real sick.

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Let's not encourage this person to even entertain trying to live in their vehicle in New England this Winter. No amount of clothing, sleeping, heating gear or anything else will prevent disaster.

Of course, that assumes they even come back to read the responses to this thread....

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Agree
    In the 70's I lived on a small boat with a Oil Dickerson heater /stove that also had a wood burner . Up in the QCI's there was squat for anything back then , But Diesel cooked & heated the boat at waters & shored it was a trip to find a bit of branches in a collection sling would keep me warm all night..
    Later boat had a thermostat & preset temp / $$$$

Sloth

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Dickinson makes great Diesel Stoves... we have on in the cabin, that makes all the Domestic Hot Water, Heats the cabin, and cooks all the food...

5. Cwinslow

Cwinslow Monkey

Thank you for your input. I have looked into small turbines; however, where I am planning on parking the vehicle, there will be too many surrounding buildings and trees for adequate wind exposure. Hopefully one day though I could have a dual wind/solar setup.

It is a Ram Promaster. It will be insulated with natural wool insulation, R-13, with an additional layer of Reflectix on top, totaling ~R-18/19.

Thank you for all of the input. It is a Ram Promaster. It will be insulated with natural wool insulation, R-13, with an additional layer of Reflectix on top, totaling ~R-18/19. As of now I am looking into either a propane or a diesel heater with externally mounted auxiliary tanks. No Mr. Buddy heaters seeing as they are very dangerous. I will also be installing shore power to utilize a hook up. With this hookup, I am thinking I could possibly utilize electric. Additionally, trying to figure out if it is possible to find a J1772 to 14-50 adapter to allow for charging at a EV station. Thank you for all of the replies.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2017
    Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

My bad, regarding the Mr. Buddy heaters. I have seen them become popular among van dwellers in the US, over the past couple / few years. I guess I shouldn't assume that just because people put them in their vehicles, they do not necessarily realize they should be well vented. Any gas appliance should be.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Now that is a good possibility of recharging the bank . Wind will work as you drive only , solar in CA & mexico on clear days , where you are 3 months max like here , but I am over panelled 8 needed in summer 48 installed , float by 8 am .

J1772 in female to power a 90Amp iota to a Classic is that way

Sloth

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

9. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Living in the New England area, having solar for power, winters can be and will be mild to down right deadly!
    I have lived in a truck for a number of years, driving this great land, please have a back up plan. You will not heat a well insulated van with solar. 1 a modular sleeping bag system. 2 a full tank of fuel every night. 3 a 200 watt 12 volt heater on a 2nd, 3rd and 4th battery with limited use. 4 a place to plug in ( work site or Wally World). 5 get ready to embrace the suck.

Merkun likes this.
  1. hot diggity
  2. T. Riley
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. ColtCarbine
  6. TnAndy
  7. DKR
  8. Prepper12
  9. Prepper12
  10. Yad Tsalach
  11. Thunder5Ranch