Solar Priorities on a budget

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by wpmasterdesign, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, so I am on a tight budget but I live 10 miles from the nearest utilities. Currently, my power is provided by a generator and a 60watt solar panel and 1 marine battery. I am trying to figure out how to best prioritize when building my solar system. So here is wat I am thinking, I would appreciate if any of you more experienced folks could let me know if this is the best thing for me to do:

I can invest a small amount into my solar every month (around $300USD). So I am thinking the most important part is the battery bank. I mean I know 60 watts does not produce much, but if I can build up my battery bank to my end goal of 5 total batteries, the 60-watt panel will keep me in power since the rest of the batteries will be charging while 1 is being used (yes, I realize that is an over simplification).

I figure that once I get the battery bank complete, I can invest in more panels and add 1-2 100 watt panels to the system each month. That of course includes the cost of the panels and other components (I already have a 20 amp charge controller and 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter).

My ultimate goal (at least at this time) is a 2000W system, which is about double my current calculated usage. I am planning for extended poor weather conditions and for grwth. But we are very low power users and always will be.

So any advice would be appreciated and if you need clarification on anything, let me know.

chelloveck likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

chelloveck likes this.
  3. Yea, i knda thought about that after I posted it, so I updated the other one. How do I mark a thread as closed?

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7