Solar question

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Falcon15, Jan 14, 2015.

1. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Just a note that I didn't see mentioned specifically....DO NOT try to measure amperage without a load in the circuit. To do so is essentially shorting the output, damaging who-knows-what along the way.

It is ok, however to measure voltage without a load.

@Cruisin Sloth...Sears is still in business? They closed a bunch of their stores here...

2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

If you look at the previous pic with the clamp meter and AC Line Splitter there is a power cord going to a device out of frame that is powered on.

Sears / Kmart is still in business.

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Techsar , Where is Here ?
    We have them in PNW , but in BC they are useless to a tool section worse than wally-world

I do a amp reading on each solar panel before I install them , Changing a dud can take days of work after the fact
    I use my fluke big meter to do this because of the 15Amp circuit & do a dead short from the panel to the meter , all hooked up in a darker area , & then open the doors to point the panel at the sun @ noon should get me real close the the 8 amps from the 300+ watt panel , if not something is wrong .

SLOTH

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    techsar and BTPost like this.
  4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

SE Louisiana...they had some fantastic closeout deals when they shut down...$30 shirts for $2, set of cobalt twist drills (1/8 thru 1/4") for $25, for example. Just checked and there are a few around, but now they are close to an hour drive. [doh]

5. Cruisin Sloth

Sears satellite stores , yes many up here in WA also closed , but for the main center towns /citys the main shopping malls stores are still working.
    Since Im into solar in a big way & this is one of my trades , a DC amp clamp for 60 beans is good.

Was in SE Louisiana in 2008 , had a great time & was treated to some nice stuff with the Louisiana folks ..

6. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I understand that the "X-perts" think Sears will go under in 2015, that will be a sad day, I remember when Monkey Wards went under.

They should never have bought K-Mart.

oldawg likes this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Sears started on the down hill slide when they failed to change. Cabela's and bass Pro are Sears for Sportsmen. Sears could still have a good business if they could have gotten their heads around an online catalog a little sooner.

Sorry for the thread Drift........

8. Cruisin Sloth

NO drifting , We haven't heard the panel info or the CC type yet as we WOULD need to correctly answer.
    As for the sears , Yes I have heard the same as with Target just figured their failure !!!
    It's time to make sure I do get all my Craftsman warrantied up to date, and buy stuff that only they sell. for all the craftsman only stuff I have ,band-saw blades . I did buy all the last Ridgid planer blades when they changed the head . I was lucky I have enough for years. Problem when you buy the first of anything , but the price was a giveaway over a general 24" .

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  9. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Yeah Target is one small step above Kmart.

10. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Alright let me simplify.

Short circuit amperage from the panels SHOULD be 7.5 Amps. I am getting, at the panel connections on the back of the panel (as well as at the end of the cable run where it connects to the charge controller) 0.5 Amps. I reinstalled my original solar charge controller (old school indicators, not digital) and I see it reading the 0.5 Amps. What is keeping the panels from generating the proper amperage?

I am getting the rated open circuit Voltage (21.5) if not more.

11. Falcon15

Panels (both identical) Kyocera KC120-1 manufactured in 1997.

12. Falcon15

BTW all readings are done with the UNI-T UT 202a Digital clamp multimeter.
    [​IMG]

13. Dunerunner

What load do you have on the system? Amperage is a function of voltage and resistance (load). Without a load, there is no current flow. If it is your battery array, perhaps it is nearly fully charged.

where I=Amps, E= volts and R= resistance

I=E/R

Just curious....

sec_monkey likes this.
  14. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

OK, we're getting closer, short circuit amperage [BOLD]SHOULD BE[/BOLD] 7.5 Amps, which means you haven't really put that meter in-line with the output and measured it? That meter will not read DC Amps with the clamp around jaws. Your controller is only reading .5 Amps because that is all that it is using.

Dunerunner likes this.
  15. Dunerunner

Just tested that with F15 and the controller never picked up the PV as a source to recharge the batteries. My thoughts are that the 12-2 wiring from the PV array may be an issue, or the array itself.

16. Falcon15

I am trending to the array itself.

17. Dunerunner

I would shade the Panels and recheck your wiring. Are they connected in parallel?

Your panels... http://www.affordable-solar.com/site/doc/instl_kc120_1.pdf

Specifications:
    Maximum Power: 120 watts
    Maximum Power Voltage: 16.9 volts
    Maximum Power Current: 7.10 amps
    Open Circuit Voltage: 21.5 Voc
    Short-circuit Current: 7.45 amps

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Forgive me if I'm out of step with this whole thing, but it happens I've blundered trying to read DC amps with both pos and neg wires in the clamp. That should, and does, read close to zero amps. I've not made that mistake since, and mention it only because I've not been following the discussion. I'm sure it's been addressed ---

sec_monkey likes this.
  19. Dunerunner

Nope @ghrit, it hasn't. I assumed the wires were individual.:rolleyes:

F15, your wiring size is good at #12, I would have run #10 as in parallel you will draw a max of 14.2 Amps. If you disconnect the panels and test each one individually, put them directly across a load suitable for 14.5 volts, like a car battery with the panel shaded with a blanket.

after connecting the load and having a meter connected to across the battery and your clamp ammeter on the + lead, remove the blanket. Might be a good idea to reveal a partial panel and slowly. Two people for this.

Monitor the voltage and current. Do this for each panel.

20. Falcon15

I would also like to say, that contrary to what seems to be POPULAR belief, I know how to use, and read a Multimeter PROPERLY. I am reading SHORT circuit amperage, which is still just increased to .71 amps, and yes the meter is INLINE. I know HOW to use and read it.

1. Prepper12
  2. Big Ron
  3. Ganado
  4. Navyair
  5. ED GEiN
  6. GrayGhost
  7. Hillbilly549
  8. Papa_asf130
  9. GrayGhost
  10. CodE BluE
  11. oil pan 4
  12. Cwmoore