Solar solution for deep well request

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Equilibrium, Jan 9, 2011.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

EQ, We agree on the Honda Quads being work-horses. We just reTIRED our two '86 4Trax rigs, last spring for a Rhino 660. They still run, but were getting VERY "Long in the tooth", and now we can ride together., in a rig with a DumpBed, and Winch built-in. There should be a Propane Kit for your Honda EM3800, for not to many FRNs.

2. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

You know you can buy a snowplow for them right? We don't have one since we've got an old Cub Cadet that has one. One of my Dad's neighbors has a Rhino. Why.... I don't know. Those houses are all on small lots.... like under 1/4 acre and my Dad says he's never seen them take it anywhere. I know what a Rhino looks like.... I also know what my Dad said it cost those neighbors.... egads.... I think if we had the money.... which we don't.... we'd be better off buying a used 4x4 PU for me so I don't trash my car hauling "stuff". I've done a number on my car and it WAS.... catch that... past tense.... was a decent car. I'll let my husband know to go with a kit for the red generator. My bet is that's the direction he'll go so I'll check into a propane tank that's maybe 100 gallons or so that we could store inside our garage.

3. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Look, I don't know if that little honda gennie will handle your well motor very well. Why don't you do yourselves a large favor and call your well guy, and ask him if it will start your pump safely without doing any damage to the motor ? All it will take is a phone call. Seems kinda small to me for a well pump.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The 3800 is rated for 3800 peak, 3300 continuous. That should handle a 3/4 horse pump (maybe even a 1 horse) easily if the pump is the only load. Check the pump owner's manual and model number to see if you can find out what the horsepower is, and go from there. My 5KW Sears gennie will start and run my 1-1/2 horse pump with no problem with other loads (including the reefer) running.

That said, we are drifting off the solar solutions question.

5. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Say ghrit.... no worries even though it's been a solar solution I've wanted help with all along. The little red generator wasn't purchased for our well pump. It was purchased for our freezer. I don't know anything about it.... I didn't even know we had two. I'm tickled pink we have something with some oomph to it that might work in a pinch. I'll happily buy a propane kit for it.

6. BTPost

Just a NOTE, here: If starting loads are a BIG Issue, you could use a Variable FreqDrive Motor Starter to power your pump and then program it to ramp up the power slowly.... these are used all over in the industrial world and come as small as Fractional Horsepower..... .....

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Cool. I know those are readily available for 3 phase, but did NOT know they can be had for single phase. (Which I believe is all a residential well would normally have.)

8. BTPost

Yep, My Bladesmith close Neighbor has them on his Belt Sander motors, that are ALL Single Phase motors, and they function just fine... Technology to the rescue... except after an EMP Event... They even make Single Phase Input, 3 Phase Output, ones to drive 3 Phase Motors, from Single Phase sources...

1. GOG
  2. naiamoon
  3. Hillbilly549
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. chelloveck