Solar trackers

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by oil pan 4, Jul 17, 2021.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I friend I bought used panels from had sun-tracking on her panels and the frustrating thing is the energy they used up compensating for clouds and the tracker kept moving to find the sun.
    Mine are in a fixed position and I don't worry about trying to get every millivolt of energy from the array.
    If I want more power I add more panels and more batteries.

2. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Yes, TODAY, the only reason to track is if you have some kind of restriction on the amount of panels...either a power company feedback issue, or space restriction.

15 years ago, when panels were 4-5 bucks/watt, it made economic sense to squeeze out every drop of power. Panels under a buck/watt, it no longer does.

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If "using bigger relays made them last longer a bit longer" then that might be the place to start.
    I could slave the controller to send its 12v output to a 240V relay. I have a small pile of 240v to 12v transformers, and bridge rectifiers are almost free. Or maybe there are some that use solid state relays now.

The problem here is wind also. I will limited to a single 300w panel per actuator.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7