Solar without batteries

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Kingfish, Aug 11, 2011.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Here is an 800amp/hr bank.

4-6v/400amp-hr batteries in series to make 24v, making one string of 24v/400amp-hr.

Then a second set, wired the same way.

Then BOTH sets wired in parallel to gang up two strings, making 800amp/hr total (at 24v)

Look CLOSE at the pic: the string in front ( and back) are wired positive to negative, to make 24v.
    Then, on the left and right end, you see a cable that runs from positive of the front string, to positive of the back string on one end, and negative to negative on the other end.....that's your paralleling. Then the cable running to the inverter taps the positive on one end, and the negative on the other (24v), but is able to DRAW off both strings via those end cables.

To add another string ( upping the amp hours ), you would simply add another 4 batteries on out in front of these, tie them in series, then cable to the existing jumper on the ends.

ry%3D480

You would need 16 of the 300 buck batteries you listed to do what 8 of these will do. ( at 250ish each ). See WHY this is the best 'bang for the buck'.

Kingfish likes this.
  2. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Got it. Now I have to find out how many kwh I am using per day with all of my 120 circuits( the necessary ones) So far with fredge and freezer I am at 2.24 kwh per day. Both run at approx.408 kwh per year.

OK THOSE ARE 400 AMP HOUR FLOODED MONOBLOCK? Can I get the same in the Gel MonoBloc? Question are the Gel ones better? KF

3. TnAndy

It's really a function of price, lifespan, number of rated cycles, and maintenance....and I'm not qualified to say.

Are you gonna check a flooded cell every month, ( or more, depending on use ), top off with distilled water, equalize them every so often and so on ? or would a "wire and forget" kinda battery be better for you ?

Are you gonna buy a good, 600 buck MPPT charge controller that you can set the float and charge points to the 1/10, or a 200 buck one you can't ? Gel and AGM batteries are way more sensitive to charging/float points, flooded cells way more forgiving.

Those kind of things factor into "which is best"...there is no one answer fits all.

Most folks START with cheaper batteries to start with......the Trojan golf cart batteries are popular...Walmart or Sams Club....on the shelf. You might want to start there, and that way if you f'_em up, you're not out a fortune. Give yourself a few years to learn your system, and save up for a real set ( or find one on the cheap like Bruce and I did ).

I'll tell you this.....the more you learn, the more you'll find out how REALLY REALLY REALLY big a set of batteries you need to come anywhere close to supplying what you've been getting off the grid on the cheap.

I figure my 1200amp/hr 24v set is about a 12kw/hr battery (on the AC side)....total......so 50% discharge means about 6kw/hr USABLE....not much, huh ? I'm figuring about 2-3 days, ( fridge, one freezer and a few lights ) and I either got to have sun back, or fire up a generator.

The more you get into this, the more you start to understand how hard it is to be your own power company......a fact that very few people appreciate.

Kingfish, ghrit and BTPost like this.
  4. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

"The more you get into this, the more you start to understand how hard it is to be your own power company......a fact that very few people appreciate."

I understand that part of it perfectly. Which is exactly why I split my 120 and 240 circuits. Im looking to make enough power for a 5 star rated Refrigerator and Chest Freezer a few low wattage lights and the occasional movie on the television. I would even put the fridge and Freezers on timers. I am not trying to build a stand alone solar power plant to replace the grid. I am just trying to build a solid small one that will keep food frozen and cold for about 10 to 20 years.

BTPost likes this.
  5. TnAndy

Brother, I understand. Same goal here. Refrigeration and lights are the difference in living 20th century style versus ALL those previous centuries !

OK...maybe a hot shower too....I think I'd trade refrigeration for that...... :D

hank2222 and BTPost like this.
  6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'm pushing that we replace this little bank in the substation on a yearly basis to be safe ;) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313443918.316382.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313443918.316382.

TnAndy likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You wouldn't have an Ulterior Motive, and I am SURE you might just find a PLACE for those USED, and semi-questionalble Batteries, around the homestead, there Melbo..... I mean "Gota have reliable power for the Control Systems" Right..... Let "Me" know if some SURPLUS parts of that bank become available, sometime in the future. I could get a pickup over there... Toot Sweet..... .....

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Wow, these seem to be the ticket but they sure are pricey... http://www.beutilityfree.com/pdf_files/NiFeFlyer.pdf

9. TnAndy

Yep.....that's them. There is a company in Montana now that is making them, but they're even higher than the Chinese imports.

10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

http://www.zappworks.com/battery_prices.htm

This is the company in Montana selling the Nickel Iron battery. I am sold on a life time battery at most any cost. The question is now what will I need for 2500 watt inverter running about 3 to 4 kwh per day. They want 3,900 for a 3 kwh at 12 volt and over 7 grand for a 6 kwh at 24 volt.

11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I have just talked with Hank at Zapp works and these guys have it going on right now. 3KWH BATTERY BANK FOR 3900.00 That will last your lifetime.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7