Solartube - Interesting

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by RightHand, Nov 26, 2012.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. I doubt greatly the "as few as" 2 hour installation for retrofit, might be ok on new construction. Does look like a good idea all around.

3. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

I've seen these in use and they work great. My concern would be how to block light from exiting them if i needed to black all light in my house. The place i saw them in use at at 20' ceilings. I suppose you could just put a piece of black plastic over them.

Jason

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think they would make a pretty good beacon in the event I am being sought out by "someone" in the middle of the night, I'm thinking ET but it might be Santa LOL

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

A friend had a couple of the larger (20"?) dome lenses installed in kitchen and in stairwell to the finished basement. I thought the light was really good looking. Always thought I'd incorporate them if I ever built again.

I suppose if you wanted to black them out, you could just fabricate some sort of cover for the lens.

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Looks like they make a dimmer/damper for the tube:

Daylight Dimmer™
    Because you don’t need 100% of the light 100% of the time, the innovative Solatube Daylight Dimmer easily controls the amount of daylight entering a room with the convenience of a switch. Our patented* variable butterfly baffle controls the light output. Patent #7,082,726

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yes, the "dimmer" looks like a butterfly type baffle. They don't seal light tight.

8. RightHand

This needs to be a team effort. ghrit, you hold the ladder and I'll climb up on the roof and start sawing. When I run out of steam, we can trade places.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7