Solved my Internet Issues, now that my SAT Based ISP went out of Business...

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Oct 7, 2015.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Solved my Internet Issues, now that my SAT Based ISP went out of Business.... AT&T sells a very cute little box, about the size of a Cig Package. It is a 4G LTE Cellular Data Box, that outputs over a USB Cable, that also chargers the Box, or WiFi.... It is designed to allow up to 10 simultaneous Users, and
    seems to be about 5 times faster than the SAT Based links were. Still have to test it out when I get home, but it worked very well on the Road Trip, we just completed. For what I was paying, with the SAT based links, I can buy 30GB per month, and any unused Data, each month, just gets Rolled Over to the NEXT MONTH.... So, I get the same amount of Data, at about 5 times the Bandwidth, and Low Latency, with no SAT Delay... Sweet.....

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Is that the one similar to Karma? My wife just got one recently, primarily for times when we aren't around our typical area.
    Either way, glad you seem to have discovered a solution!

3. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Can you hit an AT&T tower from where you live and if you can bet you will not get 4G? Tried the same type of thing here and only got dial up speed. Let me know how it works out.

4. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I just solved my internet issues.. Got a MiFi 4g jetpack from verizon (pretty much the only game in town). Haven't tried it up to the cabin yet, but seems to work well so far..

Tully Mars, kellory and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Mountainman

Curious how that works out Dont. SAT will always work, but you have to pay to play for speed and bandwidth.

6. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Have been using broadband for years up there.. Will see if it works faster once I get back..

I know folks that had tried the sat systems up there and have had some issues with them..

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. Mountainman

Had HughesNet and told them to FO when I got DSL. Same price, 3 times the speed and unlimited bandwidth for the same price.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    Tully Mars, sec_monkey and Yard Dart like this.
  8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Need something similar for my AO. Using broadband USB dongles with Verizon that work - sorta. Slow with a lot of disconnects. Would prefer a magic box that I can leave in place there maybe mounted in a weatherproof box on top of a pole, that communicates data with the internet over cell and rebroadcasts locally over wireless for laptops, tablets, smart phones, remote solar site monitoring, etc.
    I know they're available. Just a question of how much for the magic box and the cost of the service. Guess I need to get off my lazy butt and look into it.

Ganado likes this.
  9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

HughesNet S-U-C-K-S Nuff said

Ganado, sec_monkey and Mountainman like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Many Folks who were on Starband, are now switching to HughesNet, and finding that it SUCKS, and after paying a local yahoo $500US to do the conversion, and repoint the dishes.... After I get home, and get back on, with a computer that has MORE, than this laptop, I will post some pictures, to this thread, of the setup. Before I left, for the FlatLands, a fellow used my Cellular Setup to send me an eMail with a PDF he needed printed. He was using an iPhone6, and he was getting 4G from Hoonah Mtn. (Our CellSite, 15 miles away, over water, and 3500Ft High) He had 5 Bars @4G thru my Wilson Cell Booster, so I think if I upgrade the Booster to 4G/LTE, things should be Great, and if I just leave it the way it is I can have just plain 4G for now. The eMail went really fast, on that test.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7