Some good info on mil-dot optics

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by CATO, Aug 20, 2011.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Your ability to make an accurate "target size" guess-ti-mate is the key to Mil-Dots.

For example, if the target measures 1.5 dots and target size estimate is 30" the range is ~555 yards. If your size estimate was incorrect and the target is actually 40" the range is approximately ~740 yards.

FWIW, as many variable power mil-dot scopes are only "true" mil-dots at 10x; be sure to read your manual.

3. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I admit to becoming lazy since I could afford a laser rangefinder some 5-6 years ago. Their affordability now means that no shooter should be without one.

Mil-Dots, though, offer an EMP-proof alternative. Practice is paramount. Back before I could afford a laser rangefinder, I used this regularly:
    Mil-Dot Master

All my scopes have BDCs (I am ACOG heavy for carbines), Mil-Dots, or SPR reticules. The only exception is a Trijicon Accupoint I mounted on the SCAR-H. It has a nice hollow post with illuminated triangle. By using the height of the triangle, I have found that it makes a great BDC too. No matter what you have, get out there and learn to use it as a BDC. Even the lowly duplex was originally developed to range with and hold over.

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I have one but I prefer the dots; as a Ham I prefer CW (Morse code); call me old fashioned. :D

Wind is a huge variable and most people cannot estimate wind speed. An easy way to develop one's skill doping the wind is to purchase a weather station with an anemometer. Watch the movements of bushes, grass and trees; compare your estimate to what the anemometer reads. In time one gets right decent at it.

NVBeav and Hispeedal2 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7