1. The Topic of the Month for April 2017 is "Store what you use, use what you store." Please join the discussion on the Survival Topic of the Month forum.

Some good info on mil-dot optics

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by CATO, Aug 20, 2011.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Your ability to make an accurate "target size" guess-ti-mate is the key to Mil-Dots.

For example, if the target measures 1.5 dots and target size estimate is 30" the range is ~555 yards. If your size estimate was incorrect and the target is actually 40" the range is approximately ~740 yards.

FWIW, as many variable power mil-dot scopes are only "true" mil-dots at 10x; be sure to read your manual.

3. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I admit to becoming lazy since I could afford a laser rangefinder some 5-6 years ago. Their affordability now means that no shooter should be without one.

Mil-Dots, though, offer an EMP-proof alternative. Practice is paramount. Back before I could afford a laser rangefinder, I used this regularly:
    Mil-Dot Master

All my scopes have BDCs (I am ACOG heavy for carbines), Mil-Dots, or SPR reticules. The only exception is a Trijicon Accupoint I mounted on the SCAR-H. It has a nice hollow post with illuminated triangle. By using the height of the triangle, I have found that it makes a great BDC too. No matter what you have, get out there and learn to use it as a BDC. Even the lowly duplex was originally developed to range with and hold over.

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I have one but I prefer the dots; as a Ham I prefer CW (Morse code); call me old fashioned. :D

Wind is a huge variable and most people cannot estimate wind speed. An easy way to develop one's skill doping the wind is to purchase a weather station with an anemometer. Watch the movements of bushes, grass and trees; compare your estimate to what the anemometer reads. In time one gets right decent at it.

NVBeav and Hispeedal2 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7