Some Good News!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, May 13, 2024.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I was running a crew Saturday to repair a faulted underground cable. A vactor truck is the norm these days to excavate but there was a problem, a bridge with weight restrictions. I call an operator but they don’t answer so my option was a new pre-apprentice that knows Jack Squat! He shows up with a mini excavator and gives it his best shot, he did an excellent job. Someone asks him how old he is, 18. WTF?! Then he says he’s moved here from China 5 years ago. WTF?! Oh, and he’s already completed powerlineman school in Idaho. Unreal.

2. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I'm impressed with the Chinese guy who works for me. In China he was the equivalent of a CPA. Here he's a pretty good industrial mechanic. That shows mind flexibility.

Wildbilly, Alanaana, 3M-TA3 and 4 others like this.
  3. OzVegus

OzVegus Monkey

I think being Chinese equates to "I will work hard and get ahead" Something most of the younger generations in our Western societies are not interested in. I came of age in the 1970's and the rot was setting in even then. When I compare myself and my GenX peers to the boomers that preceded us there is a marked difference in willingness to knuckle down. I didn't really put my back to the wheel until I was late twenties. Thankfully I had the drive and ability to go into business for myself and that really lifted my game. But now I'm just an old early GenX, retired and cynical as I bump into youngsters texting as they walk up the footpath.

I was waiting at the checkout the other day and the girl in front of me watched two videos, replied to a txt and scanned several tweets all while we were moving forward in line. If they're not sleeping they're on their mobile devices.

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

People that come from hard/harsh conditions don't take things for granted and won't slow down (if ever) until they have a comfortable hedge against bad times. In the US the last few generations have been spoiled by our own success and are disconnected from where all that easy living comes from so no motivation. There will always be some that get it, but sadly not the majority. The eventual and unavoidable correction will straighten it out.

5. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Maybe it’s just in my head that the younger generations SUCK! Lol.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

It's in your head ,,, because it's true .

Gator 45/70, Jerry Fisk and Meat like this.
  7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

The ones I’m surrounded by are all incredible. They take after their mom obviously. :D

Gator 45/70, Alanaana and SB21 like this.
  8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I lived in Central Asia for over a decade and was constantly impressed by their work ethic and I always tell people that 'they do twice as much given half the resources.'

9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Also, he's not some college educated office drone afraid of getting his hands dirty! Too many people equate success with cleanliness, clean workspace, clothes and hands, and especially no sweat!

10. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

That's one of the things that impresses me about folks from south of the border, almost all of ones that I have met are hard workers!

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I can agree with that! I had a six year relationship with a Latina and got immersed in their culture. The first generation immigrants (legal) were all very good hardworking people with conservative family values. Second generation like my girlfriend had the same work ethic and worked their way up the economic ladder. Third generation just as bad as the rest of us.

If you ever saw the Matthew Perry movie "Fools Rush In" there is a scene where Salma Hayak's brothers take him hunting as a sort of test. They are very protective of their females and especially outsiders like myself. I went through tests each time I met a new male relative.

Usually it boiled down to a drinking contest and fortunately I am blessed with the Scandinavian drinking gene. Not that I am a drinker but that it takes a lot to so me damage, making drinking too expensive to be a hobby. They always wanted Tequila, so I always said "That's good. We can start off with a girl drink to get warmed up and then move on to something stronger. Do you need those little umbrella things to drink tequila?".

Gator 45/70, Jerry Fisk, Meat and 3 others like this.
  12. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

The second I turned 26 I was never able to handle any brown liquor ever again. It makes me super sick. Not sure what's up with that. It's probably for the best, but I used to enjoy Glenlivet straight every once in awhile. It's probably for the best. Not worth the risk. Lol.

On a more related note, Asians have great work ethics. I think the Korean Mom's are the most intense drivers. There were many in my youth symphony. I miss the good old days when music wasn't so digital. Yesterday I was thinking about how thankful I am that my parents allowed me to practice violin, singing, and piano at 3:30 am before swim practice at 5...

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

There is a reason that Asians have the highest per capita income followed by Indians. Work ethic, tiger moms, discipline, parental involvement in education, low crime, etc.. the "magic recipe" for prosperity.

14. OzVegus

OzVegus Monkey

Yes, but even they can lose the plot if they experience too much of the good life. There is this movement in China among the kids of wealthy parents, it's called Tang Ping. It's the good life, free income that screws a society.

The ‘lying flat’ movement standing in the way of China’s innovation drive | Brookings

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  15. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

OzVegus, Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Human nature. I'm grateful I grew up when I did. Otherwise, I'd have turned out like the ignorant idiots that are about to learn a huge lesson. A HUGE negative feedback system is about to make a HUGE correction.

OzVegus, Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  17. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

When did you find time to do things like homework and sleep?

Gator 45/70, Meat and Alanaana like this.
  18. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

If that happens the CCP will send in the Army, and any survivors will learn the meaning of work in a forced labor camp!

Gator 45/70, Seawolf1090 and Meat like this.
  19. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

I didn't think that I needed sleep back then... To be young again! I even swam twice a day back then. Often 10 practices per week.

Gator 45/70, Seawolf1090 and Meat like this.
  20. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

We have another young fella that’s really good too, not from China. Lol. I had them both out with a line truck yesterday showing them a few things. The future is bright it seems.

Zimmy, Alanaana and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7