Some gun statistics

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Ganado, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

According to a 2013 Pew Research study, 37 percent of households had an adult who owned a gun — 24 percent said they owned a gun, and 13 percent said someone else in their household did.

There are about 319 million people in the United States, so that means there are about 118 milion gun owners in this nation.

There have been 69 mass shootings in the last 30 years. The Washington Post says, a Congressional Research Service report published in 2013 counted 78 incidents over roughly the same period, in which 547 were killed.

That means, out of 118 million gun owners, 78 or .00007 percent of the gun owning population are potential mass murderers (using a 30-year total).

Since Mother Jones published its analysis, five people were killed in a shooting spree in Las Vegas that authorities said was driven by anti-government views. In February, a man named Joseph Jesse Aldridge killed seven people in Texas County, Mo., including several of his relatives, before taking his own life. His motivations remain unclear. So that makes 560 people killed.

Now we can add Dylann Roof to the list. It is awful and tragic. He appears to be a sick human being who should never have been given a gun.

Of course, now the gun control activists are out in force. Any white person who legally owns a gun must be a racist white supremacist nut bag.

It is a sad truth that there are likely more mentally ill individuals in our nation who will one day get their hands on guns, legally or illegally, and take the lives of some innocent souls.

But some perspective is needed.

Let’s take that figure for the number of people killed in the last 30 years during a mass shooting of 560 and add another nine to it. That makes 569.

Now compare that number to 10,076. According to MADD, that’s the number of people killed during drunk driving crashes in 2013 alone. In fact, every day in America, another 28 people die in drunk driving crashes. Every. Single. Day.

Using the liberal logic of banning guns because of tragic (and thankfully, comparatively rare) mass shootings undertaken by crazy white folks (and some not so white), should we not then ban cars?

Cars clearly cause many more fatalities in terms of numbers each day than whack nuts with a gun.

Heck, we should ban bathtubs too. Because 341 people die from drowning and submersion while in or falling into bathtubs. And floors. We need to ban floors too, because 565 people die each year from slipping, tripping or falling.

I don’t mean to be flippant, or to trivialize this terrible tragedy. But as the stories fly around in the next few days regarding this event, you can be darn tootin’ liberals will begin pushing their agendas.

It’s useful to have some facts at your fingertips to provide some perspective.

Here's What the Mainstream Media WON'T Tell You About Mass Shootings - Allen B. West - AllenBWest.com

2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Good insight Ganado

Ganado likes this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Ty Altos but I can't take credit for the article it was Allen West I just edited out some bits so it was clear

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Brokor likes this.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

@Ganado Lt. Col. Allen West (ret.) has some excellent quotes.

Ganado likes this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I like facts. And he laid out a bunch of them. I verified a couple before I posted to make sure they were true. I do like how he thinks

kellory likes this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

7. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I think that story was posted here a week or so ago...unless I got it in the mail, but they admit their numbers are a swag at the very least.

As far as 88.8% being high, that depends on where you are in the country. I could see it being mid to upper 90s in some places and an abysmal sub 10% elsewhere.

Ganado likes this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I looked at NRA and they were estimating 42% nation wide

Brokor likes this.
  9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That's closer to what I imagine to be accurate. On the surface, perhaps one third we can solidly say owns firearms, and we should always factor in a little more for occasional "boating accidents".

CaboWabo5150 and Ganado like this.
  10. Underdog29

Underdog29 Monkey

I think they meant there were 88.8 guns per 100 people in the population and not the percentage of people that actually own guns. And that seems to be about the ratio that the chart shows. But wouldn't it be great if 88.8 percent did own at least one. I'm pretty sure where I live it's close to 100%.

Ganado likes this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There isn't ANYONE, who lives in bush Alaska that doesn't own a FireArm... And likely a whole closet full of them....

12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

What does that have to do with the question I asked?

13. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

@Ganado - it's a data point and goes along with what I, Brokor and Underdog29 said. Underdog29 said that he's pretty sure it's close to 100% there. BTPost said the same thing with regards to his area and the fact that most people probably own more than one firearm (a whole closet full of them) which also goes to what Brokor said and you said, 88.8 guns per 100 people as opposed to 88.8% of people owning firearms.

Honest to God, it wasn't an attack, it was an answer to your question, although it could be seen as tangential, it was an answer:
    Well, apparently in the Alaskan bush, yes, or higher.

Personally, I think that number is low (firearms/person, not ownership...that's high, and overall, not just the Alaskan bush). I'm willing to bet that there are in excess of 1 firearm per adult in the US and potentially as many as 1+ per person. Yes, I'm stating that I believe there are more than 321 Million firearms in the hands of private citizens in the USA at this time.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

....As there should be. I have more than half a dozen in my gun locker now. For several different uses. Pistol, shotguns, varmint rifles, muzzleloader. And I will be adding more when the funding allows. (Ohio just approved deer rifles in the last couple years) :D

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Piker. Before the boating accident, there were over a dozen. Still have the trap gun and a pistol, at least.

CaboWabo5150 and Homer Simpson like this.
  16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Ah, but my pockets are much shallower than yours....and my lakes, deeper.:rolleyes:

17. Underdog29

Underdog29 Monkey

Didn't mean to take anything away from your question.

I really have no clue how to fight the anti gun backlash that I'm sure will ensue after this tragedy. But facts are always useful to have and be able to use them to combat their foolishness.

Apparently they took this young man in and prayed with him for a while before he starred killing them. That is just pure evil and you cannot combat that with logic or reason. And to make that into a gun issue is almost as bad.

I'm sure that if he had not had a gun he would have used something else and as you said what do we ban next? Cain killed Able with a rock and so we have had mans evil and jealousy since the days of Genesis and we probably always will.

Thanks for posting the article it is very interesting and I agree with Dark Light and others that the number is probably low. I believe that there is at least 1 gun per person in this country and the antis know it also. They know any hard core gun control issues are political suicide.

18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I wasn't offended I just didn't understand something that was posted I'm soz I wasn't clear.

I see what you mean. I was thinking households that have guns. And you were right they were talking total guns.

Guns are like lays potato chips you can't have just one ;)

I also see the annual manufacturing of guns is alot more than that estimate over a 10 year period so they may be accurate about total number of fire arms.

I still maintain many of those people who live in the Washington bubble have no idea what real Americans are like. They have no idea who they are dealing with.

ghrit, Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

After the boating accident, all I have left is my 10-22 and a sling shot...... we all know that a .22 is all one needs in the locker. ;)

CaboWabo5150, oldawg and Ganado like this.
  20. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Along with a wheel barrow and a barkless chihuahua...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7