Some Mountain Monkey Blades :0)

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Your work is amazing Bear!

Bear likes this.
  2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Thanks @Sapper John... Not the super fine precise lines and finish of some other craftsmen and women here or out there... but hey... I'm a "Monkey"... I like tough, practical and affordable :0) (plus while I like a beautiful tool and the hours of sanding, fitting and polishing that goes into them... I really admire the work and effort that goes into some of the work I've seen others do here.... I'd be making one a month, with my schedule, if I did that... and I've got too many crazy ideas I want to get to, forge, grind or finish and share with my buddies here... so good steel, materials, treatment and design is the way to go for me :0)
    Thanks again,
    Bear

kellory likes this.
  3. Bear

Here's some pics of the sheath for these... finished up the pattern and fittings... final sheath in 1/8" thick vegetable tanned leather... overall thickness of sheath is @3/8"... 24 #14 copper rivets... hand set and peened over for a solid permanent fit... no stitches to fail... no treatment or dyes... will leave that up to the individual who probably has their own preference on color or may want to design it... just a solid no bs sheath IMHO... :0)

Just need to make the sheaths for the others... can do left hand as well... mm12.JPG mm14.JPG mm16.JPG mm15.JPG

Thanks again for all the nice comments,

Bear

Hanzo, Tracy and kellory like this.
  4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Looks great to me!

Bear likes this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Very nice Bear, as always.:cool:

Bear likes this.
  6. Sapper John

I love well crafted and classic designs. Bear has mastered both!

Bear likes this.
  7. Bear

Thanks @HK_User I kinda like how they came out as well :0) gonna tweek the sheath just a bit but these are done!

8. Bear

Thanks for the kind words @kellory ... these should be hard users... didn't do the tungsten carbide on these but I can always add them... :0)
    Bear

9. Bear

Thanks @Sapper John ... I'm gonna post my Uncles knife that sort of inspired me on these :0)... I do like the old classics ... an old timer said it looks like an old "breaker" knife... gonna need to look that one up :0) thanks for the very kind words....

Bear

10. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

Well done as always Bear. The hard work you put into them shows and is appreciated by those that know craftsmanship

Bear likes this.
  11. Bear

Thanks @Gunny Highway ... I always appreciate the kind words and encouragement from the folks here.... Hmmmmmm maybe it's time for another giveaway after I finish up the sheaths :0) will keep you posted (let's see how many Monkeys pick up on this post :0)

Thanks again,
    Bear

12. They look great! Wish I had the tools to attempt that

Sent from my Tactical Communication Device. ΜΟ;ΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bear likes this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

A "One Brick Forge" is simple, easy, and cheap, to build.. ....... YMMV.....

Bear likes this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Awesome as usual!

Bear likes this.
  15. Sapper John

It will take more than a forge to get to Bears skill level. He is truly a craftsman!

Tracy likes this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Can anyone guess what type of Forge, Bear started with?

Bear likes this.
  17. Gunny Highway

I'm
    always up for free things Bear ! :)

Bear and kellory like this.
  18. Gunny Highway

Do tell Bruce ?

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bear and Yard Dart like this.
  20. Bear

mm21.JPG mm20.JPG Phew! all done... and 2 longs and the short brown are already spoken for :0)...
    Gotta run... but wanted to post the final pics... back later with details on them :0)

oh and those weird swirl patterns are showing up in the pic but are not there in person... strange pic/lighting effect...

Bear

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7