Some Mountain Monkey Blades :0)

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Thanks @TodaysBushcraft ... you'd be surprised what you can do with some basic tools like a file and some sandpaper :0)... learning how to make a "tool" using just hand tools is a pretty good experience... draw filing with a mill or a bastard file takes off a surprising amount of metal in a short period of time... kinda relaxing too :0)
    Bear

Sapper John and kellory like this.
  2. Bear

Yup... great way to get started and see if you really want to get into this... thanks for the comment for our member....
    Bear

Tracy likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Congrats on the Iron Monkey Award, there, Bear.... and the check is in the Mail..... Left today, before the Big Snow Storm....

Bear likes this.
  4. Bear

Hmmmm.... seems like a few folks caught that comment of mine :0)....
    Let's see how many say "I'm in" for this one :0)

OK.... here it is... HAPPY HOLIDAYS!.... Let's get this going with a give away!...
    One Long Mountain Monkey is going to one lucky Monkey for the FREE.....

Just say "I'm in".... I'll run it through Sunday and use a random number generator to pic the winner :0) Your post number is your number...

Now a bit more about these... they are similar stock to some of the other machete type tools I've made... these are high carbon roll milled distal tapered steel... so on some you will see a bubble pattern from the rolling mill doing it's thing on the hot steel... kind cool actually...

These are finish ground and then a 17.5 degree edge is ground in with a 120 grit belt... then the edge is buffed with a hard felt wheel and green micro compound ... yup... no more hair on this bears leg again :0)

Strictly field user grade... so don't expect a fine mirror or satin finish... I want these to be hard users and last you a good while....

Sheaths are not as nice as @Brokor can and has done... they are veg tanned leather at a little under 1/8 so they are about 3/8ths thick because I think a good welt makes for a long lasting sheath ;)

No stitches on these puppies... #14 copper rivets and burrs spaced about 1 1/2" apart... and then hand peened for a permanent fitting... some may look at the sheath and ask why I didn't trim more of the leather off the edges closer to the rivets and get a more streamlined sheath... well there is a method to this old farts madness... these longer blades will also lend themselves to harnessing onto a pack or other carry item... and some have already said that is what they intend to do... hence the reason for no stitches between the rivets and the extra leather... you can drill your own holes in the leather for your paracord, cable, zip ties etc for your own perfect fit... just don't drill your hole past the center off the copper rivet or you will pass the welt and the knife may cut into it...

The leather is untreated and not dyed to keep the cost down but also to allow the user to personalize it with whatever treatment or color they like... heck... you can even stamp or emboss your own "label" on them.... just don't expect them to be perfect when you get them... got a few of my fingerprints and a flaw here or there... but it is high quality leather and I made sure there is also a drainage hole in the end so you can pour your favorite treatment inside and drain it... then later when it gets dirty... you can hose it out :0)

So there you are... this is "Field Monkey Grade" tool... sterile... no marks... no frills... make it your own and beat the bananas out it tool... unless you want me to put a mark on it for you :0)

So if this sounds like something you might like and actually use... then just say "I'm in" :0)

Happy Holidays Monkeys!

Bear

Tracy, Hanzo, Sapper John and 2 others like this.
  5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Awesome work as always @Bear

Bear likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I AM IN!!!!!"
    All of your creations are awesome Bear!!

Bear likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I won the last time, so I am out......

Bear likes this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

You are awesome, Bear. I'm always in. I love taking part in these projects. =)

Bear likes this.
  9. Bear

@BTPost Thanks for the congrats on the "Iron Monkey"... just need to figure out what that is :0)

I was actually thinking about you at times when I was making these... I think they are great users for butchering and other chores out there... especially when I was making the leather sheaths... chose leather for these as I had heard that kydex can freeze up in extreme cold and not release your tool or weapon at the most inopportune times... ala law enforcement.... and I know that folks all have their own favorite leather treatments and like to mark their tools and sheaths to personalize them for easy id and against loss... also drilling holes in the sheath for lashing to their packs or whatever...

Also forgot to mention in the detailed description... I left the back of the blade sharp... for those who want to scrape wood, hide etc... with it... if not... a couple minutes with some sand paper and she'll round out nicely...

So anyway... I'm gonna include you in this my BTP friend... and for all you other "Monkeys"... just because you won something before... doesn't mean you are excluded in this... heck ... it's Christmas! (although Thanksgiving hasn't even come and gone yet ;0)...

Ho Ho Ho and all that Merry stuff... Let's have some fun with this :0) would love to have tools all over the world including blades in Alaska :0)

Take Care my friend,
    Bear

Sapper John, kellory, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I'm in for any of your works as well. And thank you for such generosity of spirit.

Bear likes this.
  11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I'm in.

Bear likes this.
  12. Bear

i
    Thanks @melbo ... all the kind words mean a lot to me.... each an every one :0)

Bear

13. Bear

Got ya in @kellory .... It's the Season!... I love this time of year!

Bear

kellory likes this.
  14. Bear

Thanks @Brokor .... you and the rest of the Monkeys are the fun of making these projects... while not the absolute pinnacle of craftsmanship in terms of precision fit and finish... I like these... met an old blacksmith who shared some thoughts on things as far as the "modern" computer aided cnc world we live in... made me step back, think a bit and changed my outlook on how I want to do things these days... Old wisdom and old ways.... never goes out of style :0)

Bear

kellory likes this.
  15. Bear

Thanks @ yard dart ... too kind ... too kind... keeps me going and keeps me inspired :0)
    couple more projects to finish for a couple folks... then really want to get to my spear head project :0)
    Thanks again,
    Bear

Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'm out, 'cause I have some Bear work, and want to make sure there's enough to around. (And, old friend, you are starting to realize that the post number isn't too good for a random drawing. Lots of no count numbers in the pool --)
    As always, Bear is doing good, hence the Iron Monkey award.

Bear and BTPost like this.
  17. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Definitely count me in! Can't say it enough, Bear...you're a treasure to us all. [tongue]

Bear, kellory and Brokor like this.
  18. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Congratulations on your "Iron Monkey" award Bear. You are truly deserving of it! We all appreciate what you do!

Bear likes this.
  19. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

BEAR, as a fairly neebee I too give Congratulations on your "Iron Monkey" award. I have found all your work to have skill and art and dare I say Feeling in their EXECUTION.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    Bear, kellory and Sapper John like this.
  20. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

I'm in !

Bear likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7