Some Mountain Monkey Blades :0)

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Wow... all three of these are now spoken for :0) Making up a few more as well as a couple promised... Thanks Monkeys!

Merry Christmas!

Bear

kellory likes this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Very sweet for very lucky monkeys. The Koa is absolutely beautiful as is the bamboo. Those are the two I saw first hand. For those who do edged weapon martial arts, trust me when I say they are fast in the hand. The longer and shorter Bear masterpieces together would make for a formidable espada y daga.

Bear is not just a fine craftsman, he is an artisan.

Dont, Yard Dart, Sapper John and 4 others like this.
  3. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Some fine looking craftsmanship!

Hanzo, Bear and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  4. Bear

Thanks for kind comment...

Bear

Hanzo likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

It's true!

Bear likes this.
  6. Dont

It is an appreciation of one with a love for craft...

Brokor, Bear and kellory like this.
  7. Dont

Let me revise my last, Should read; Love of the ART of craftsmanship!! This is much more accurate...

Bear likes this.
  8. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Beautiful! That koa handle sure looks nice. I'd be interested in one with koa & stainless w/ white liner. Let me know if that's possible.

Bear likes this.
  9. Bear

Thanks for compliment @Byte Curly Koa is different from piece to piece as it is a natural wood... I like natural woods for their warmth and natural cushion... what size, small or large, were you looking for?... I've got the stainless hardware and the white liner ... so anything is possible :0)

Bear

10. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Excellent! I like micarta scales but I love grainy woods. They add so much more character and warmth to any crafted item. I'd prefer the smaller size set up with the the Curly Koa, stainless hardware and white liners with sheath. I have been looking for a reason to get down to the local Tandy to pick up some basic leather supplies. Working in leather is something I have always wanted to learn. Second to working in metal, of course!

Let me know what the damage will be. It'll be my pleasure & privilege to own such a blade!

Bear, Sapper John and kellory like this.
  11. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Byte, take my word for it, You will not be disappointed with the quality and craftsmanship of @Bears' knives. They are some of the best I have ever seen! I am speaking as a Bear Knife junkie! [rockon]

Bear, Byte and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  12. Bear

@Byte I have to agree... I've stashed a bunch of very nice curly koa from all the islands... been waiting to use it on projects... lots of folks like the toughness of micarta and stabilized woods... but there is a warmth and some cushion that natural woods give to any handle... and they age well... I don't usually like to take orders but I'll put your name on one of the few small blanks that I have left (I think there are like 5 left of this steel) and when I am ready I'll pick out a nice piece for the scales...
    I'll let you know when I am ready... I've got another member I need to finish up something for as well :0)
    Merry Christmas!
    Bear

HK_User and Byte like this.
  13. Bear

Thanks @Sapper John simple utilitarian ... but you ought to see what some of the other knifemakers... especially the JS and MS makers can do... flawless perfection!... just amazing attention to detail and execution... not my style... but I sure like looking at some of their work... Don Hanson is a very good friend of mine... he has helped me when I got my powerhammer and I acquired a lifetime of W2 steel from him years ago (can't get that particular pour anymore) and some very very nice Black Walnut.... he does out of this world kind of stuff! here's his site
    Sunfish Forge, Don Hanson Custom Knives, Custom Damascus Knives and Bowies

Thanks again, Merry Christmas and God Bless!

Bear

HK_User likes this.
  14. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

I really appreciate that! And no hurry at all. I'm one of those procrastinator types that believe things'll get done when they need to be done. I think you guys over there refer to it as Island Time.

HK_User likes this.
  15. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I still regret giving away a KOA living room set.

Beautiful wood and the best for easy living.

16. Bear

DSCF3685.JPG DSCF3681.JPG DSCF3683.JPG
    @Byte Finally found time to finish a couple... these need sheaths (which I already have cut out and ready to put together this weekend) and some minor clean up... Found the perfect piece of curly koa in my stash to go with white liners and stainless.... Let me know what you think... I know it's been a long long while so no worries :0)

Oh and here's a video... because these pics just don't do the beauty of these handles any justice :0)

Hope you enjoy it...

Bear

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Got to handle them last weekend. Very sweet! Some lucky monkey will be very happy with them. I use my bamboo handled one at camp.

Bear likes this.
  18. Bear

Forgot these pics ... finishing up sheaths today :0)
    The mini hatchet is going out to a guy who asked about a firesteel... so I made some with the scraps from the handles... one of those rare times the blades will come with a little extra :0)
    The dark curly koa and the other micarta blades are up for "adoption" if anyone is looking for a sharp buddy.... DSCF3673.JPG DSCF3675.JPG DSCF3678.JPG DSCF3679.JPG

melbo, Yard Dart, Sapper John and 4 others like this.
  19. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I am open for adoption of the dark curly koa!

HK

Hanzo likes this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

It's a purity baby for sure!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7