Some Myths About Bugging Out on Foot

Discussion in 'Survival Articles' started by Grand58742, Feb 23, 2011.

1. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I tried posting pics of my Bike/Recon bag, my get home bag, and BOL BOB, but they wouldn't load. You can see two of them here, Tactic Supplies - Home, the medium assault bag and the three day assault bag. They have the same things in them just more in the Big BOB.
    I have a Heatsheets bivy sack in the GH BOB, and a heavier one in the BOL BOB here:Thermo-Lite Emergency Bivvy Sack and a space blanket tarp. I have a hydrator in each and a Berkey sport filter in the big BOB. My vest will carry my ammo long term. I fashioned by big BOB after this except for the main compartment which is clothing.
    ZombieDefenseProject.com - Home

2. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

They're selling the bags at that website. I think you made a mistake. Here's how you can add your own photos easy peasy, How to post Images (OLD). I'd add a photo of my pillow case but.... I don't think that's what other folk had in mind. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  3. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Thanks EQ, The first time I used quick reply. I'll try again. It still failed to upload, I use Ubunbtu 10.04 and hit post reply, manage attachments, got the browse window, chose them and hit upload but it said 'error failed to upload'. This works on all my other forums, are my pics to big or something? Need input from a Linux user. Sorry.

4. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Just upload it direct from where ever the photo is on your computer. I do it all the time. They could have been having problems when you tried so you got that message.... I got a boatload of error messages a few days ago when they were doing something and finally logged off but.... they weren't having any problems last night or this morning.

5. salgak

salgak Monkey+

At the moment, considering the current Ebola situation and all, Bugging IN looks to be the better alternative. .

kellory and oldawg like this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Agreed, and as with ANY large group of people (such ad FEMA camps) spread would kill nearly everyone involved.
    Historically, armies have died more by disease then bullets.

AmericanRedoubt1776 and tulianr like this.
  7. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Nylon or better yet rip stop wind suits work wonders. A waterproofed "boony hat" or other and a modern poncho will keep you dry in a heavy rain. They are light weight yet strong. Instead of a bulky water filter just use PolarPur tabs. 80 lbs is way too much for a "novice". 40 plus guns/ammo will be a load. MRE entres/power bars/sardines/pork & beans will last a long time. Compass/map with alternate pre inspected routes highlighted will speed the journey. Packs should be a pack of packs so if you have to go into the water it will be buoyant. First Aid goodies should be multi purpose. Small LED flash lights last a long time and will not be a beacon when used. Waterproofed matches and a couple cig lighters should keep you warm. Practice building fires in the rain/windy conditions(and don't set the world on fire--LOL. Every pound you hump will slow you down. Cut the ounces and the pounds will disappear.

AmericanRedoubt1776, Dawg23 and KAS like this.
  8. Dawg23

Dawg23 do or do not, there is no try

i remember an old saying back when i was an avid backpacker and hiker "an ounce in the morning feels like a pound at night" lighter is somewhat better, but keep to the bare essentials. You will be amazed at what you dont really need.

AmericanRedoubt1776 and Brokor like this.
  9. Dawg23

Dawg23 do or do not, there is no try

if I remember correctly, when we backpacked in scouting, we averaged (with a group of teenage guys) 1-2 MPH hiking and backpacking, that was carrying approximately 40 lbs. with a group up and down and around mountains, etc. is not too bad. Flat land, we could get 2-3 MPH. i know if i have to walk my commute home, i figure at least 2 days. my commute is 20 miles and its 90% rural/farmland. thank God I work on the outskirts of town.

kellory, Yard Dart and tulianr like this.
  10. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

Excellent OP. Going to peruse the thread now. My back up bug out plan after our retreat castle is built will be centered around some catastrophe (massive earthquake, etc) happening while we're in town for supplies or at a restaurant. I will trailer or put one of these (my Suzuki DR650E) in my box truck, fully loaded with rifle on the handlebars, and a full bug out pack in a milk crate on the back rack, extra water jug and canteens, Hydration pack, and a 5 liter Swiss gas can. We always CCW and it can get me and my baroness to our place, roads or no roads (there are off road ways to get there) Hoofing it sucks. We could do it because we regularly walk, but 30 + miles is for the birds. The best bug out is to already be "there" with a nice cold drink and some cheese puffs

[​IMG]

The absolute best option I've ever found for combating rain, and as an improvised shelter are the surplus West German rubberized ponchos. I live in the PNW, have worked for weeks at a time in my rainforest in wet weather and they are the best thing going. You can even conceal a slung short long gun under one. 2 of them snap together to make a tube tent.. did I mention they are cheep?

BTW your Springfield avatar looks just like I did in my 20s. Always gives me a chuckle

[​IMG]

It would have to have a plastic box to be tactical, those hosers are mere wannabes

Thanks to the mod for consolidating my posts, it's one of my posting "issues" [OO]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  11. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Bugging out is an issue for me. My mom is in her seventies and has MS, so bugging out will only happen if i can get my mom out. IF not we die together. Oh well such is life.

12. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

@vonslob let me put my brain to this, and maybe come up with some solutions, especially in the "on foot" catagory"...

Grandpa Patch and vonslob like this.
  13. kellory

vonslob likes this.
  14. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

MS can make operating a bicycle dificult, especially in advanced cases.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  15. kellory

Yep, her balance was affected, so a two wheeler was out. But she does fine on a trike. Talking about adding a hub motor and a car battery to the basket.

16. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

i have thought of putting her into my bob trailer and pulling her. I also have a what you would call a large wagon with inflatable wheels. I grew up in upper rio grande valley and they live in Abq. so if i could just get her that first 60 miles just past santa fe i have support from there well into the san luis valley and at that point getting close to more support and my "hunting shack". I am sorry about the earlier post if it made me seem like a rabbit waiting to die. Having said all of that any ideas you might have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Falcon15

17. Sojourn

Sojourn Monkey+

Have you ever thought about taking one of those baby trike strollers you see mom's running down the road with and modifying/reinforcing it to support the weight of your mother. Some of them have off road type tires and could do the job for a smaller frame person. Maybe reinforce with some metal structure to support the needed weight to get down the road with her. That would take out the equation of her having to pedal. But then, I hope you are in good shape to push her down the trail. Just thought I would throw out that idea, as it is one of mine for moving wounded or invalid folks from point to point after SHTF.

18. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Bro that is an excellent idea. To answer your question no i did not. She is a little gal. No way she could petal, sometimes can barely walk. The part about being in shape, well honestly even pulling her on my bob trailer is a big question mark. I have been riding and backpacking for so many miles to be under any illusion that humping my kit and her weight would even remotely easy, we are taking close to 200 lbs. I have ridden with 70+ lbs, bags on bike and weight on bob. 5 miles into that trip and i was telling myself never again. I am no weak sister on a mt bike. Raced when i was younger and even now will put at least 40 miles per week, not all it dirt but my butt is in the saddle at least a couple of weeks. Having said all of that, realistically getting out of dodge using only human power, with my mom in tow would be impossible. In that situation it would just not be possible. If it was just me i would be gold, but i could not leave the old broad behind, she me mum :)

Sojourn likes this.
  19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

kellory, ghrit and vonslob like this.
  20. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I really hope i am on top of it so i do not have to deal with that option.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  7. Thunder5Ranch
  8. Motomom34
  9. ED GEiN
  10. AxesAreBetter
  11. yeti695
  12. medicineman
  13. Dunerunner
  14. Motomom34
  15. Oltymer
  16. Imasham
  17. H.I.S Survival
  18. Witch Doctor 01