Some Myths About Bugging Out on Foot

Discussion in 'Survival Articles' started by Grand58742, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

check out some of the older motobecame (sp?) petal start motor bikes... no emp issues and top of around 25 mph look at some minor mortifications (trailer three wheeler with bench etc) and that might assist you

vonslob and Sojourn like this.
  2. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

[​IMG]bob trailer

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I like the above, except I would dump, the flag.... It looks like a Serious Woosie.....

vonslob likes this.
  4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

If I was using it as a person transport I would recommend a wheel guard and a set of pegs for their feet...

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

I will be discussing bugging out/prepping with disabilities/medical issues and feral dog packs on this Sunday's show.

laurin, stg58, kellory and 1 other person like this.
  6. Shaunda

Shaunda Fairy Monkey of the Forest

My hubby and I are planning to 'bug out' on foot in the next three months and spend a year or two wandering in the forest. This is an excellent article to prepare for that. One thing we are doing before we go is practice walking long distances with our packs on. I'm glad we decided to do that!

7. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Well, the best in my opinion for ME is to NOT be on foot Period. I know that there are times when I am away from home but bugging out here is not an Option. My wife can not walk a mile much less out of trouble. Ill not leave her behind so I have no bug out plan unless it involves using our Modified Jeep cj-5. or truck and trailor. I have plans for using both and or either. I will stay put if I can not drive out.

Witch Doctor 01 and Motomom34 like this.
  8. BTPost

Where I live, there IS no Bugging Out, as there is No Place to Bug Out, to...... The nearest Road is 250 Miles away, and it is all thru Untracked Alaska Wilderness..... So Our Plan has ALWAYS been to Bug In, and then die of Old Age....

9. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

Perhaps some food for thought?

Some thoughts about defending your retreat

10. BTPost

Momma and I have a Defense Plan, in place... We have "Close Neighbors" (Close = 10 SqMiles) that all work together, in Mutual Aid..... That is just how Bush Alaskans do things....

11. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

One thing I always kept in mind when I lived remote (not as remote as you) was that there could be a situation when my house caught fire or burned down that would necessitate a hasty bug out (to nowhere).

12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

My answer to that is a remote, from the house barn etc, storage area with a CP tent and other needed gear. I am not remote but I do not wish to leave what I have to others in case of a disaster.

tulianr likes this.
  13. BTPost

We have that covered, here, as the Cannery has many unOccupied Houses, that are only used during the summertime. If such a thing should happen, we would just move into one of those, for the duration, until the Breakup Crew arrived in the Spring... And Plan C is our Beach Cabin, 3 miles down the beach,

kellory likes this.
  14. mikeh53

mikeh53 Monkey+

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
    Pineknot and Shaunda like this.
  15. Shaunda

Shaunda Fairy Monkey of the Forest

Excellent! I had thought of a lot of those things already (my hubby and I are about to go hike/live on foot until we find our niche spot). But I had suggested to him we vacuum seal the winter jackets while we pack. We will be in mountains and could run into snow some days and blazing sun the next. Trying to restuff our jackets would be difficult. LOL Thanks for making me thing of that!!

16. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Bugging out on foot would definitely be a last resort. My luck the SHTF would occur in the summertime when it's 108 degrees here. There's no way on this green (or in this case brown) earth you could carry enough drinking water to get more than a few miles before you collapsed. You're talking heatstroke heaven.
    Other times of the year may not be as bad. But dry as it is, drinking water would still make up a large percentage of the carry weight.

Would do better to map out a route, then bury or hide quite well some sealed jugs of water every so often along that route to recover when needed during bugout conditions between point A and point B. You'd have to check / change them from time to time. You could do the same with small amounts of canned food.

I like BT's plan. Live at your destination and bug-in.

tulianr likes this.
  17. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

One of the reasons we chose our location was the fact we were well aware of the limitations age would impose upon us...so we chose to live on the river and make our planned (if needed) BOLs accessible by water. We also made sure enough equipment and supplies were cached to allow us to travel light.

I have no illusions that I could carry even 25% of what I did at 19.

laurin, oldawg and kellory like this.
  18. bonebrake

bonebrake Monkey

First time here guys. Love the discussions going on and it is very informative. Bear Foot is my absolute last option due to my painful memory of stepping on a push pin last summer on the beach. I can still recall that painful memory vividly thus I ain't even bear footing on the beach anymore. period. lol

Yard Dart likes this.
  19. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

any property for sale close by might need to move there lol would be a major adjustment to the temp, oh louisiana boy used to some heat and humidity!!

20. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

you could plan some weekend two or three day trips with minimal supplies. Hike in as far as you feel comfortable and set up camp, try and live off the land and only use supplies in an emergency. gradually expand your distance and stay. Knowledge is power only if you know how to use it. Good Luck!!

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  7. Thunder5Ranch
  8. Motomom34
  9. ED GEiN
  10. AxesAreBetter
  11. yeti695
  12. medicineman
  13. Dunerunner
  14. Motomom34
  15. Oltymer
  16. Imasham
  17. H.I.S Survival
  18. Witch Doctor 01