Someone Loves Mosin's !!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gator 45/70, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I donated an Hex head Mosin last weekend to a benefit to help pay for this little fellow's up coming heart surgery, He's the grandson of a friend that I worked offshore with...

I was notified today that it sold for $850.00

If I had suspected that it would bring this much...Then I would have donated 2

That is all !

Attached Files:

GOG, Mountainman, Georgia_Boy and 9 others like this.
  2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Gator, you sir are an awesome humanitarian with a heart of gold. I salute you.

Gator 45/70 and kellory like this.
  3. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Good job Gator!!! The donation to this boy is priceless but they still got a fine rifle for their money. I have one I bought years ago and had sporterized and used for deer hunting for several years.They are good rifles and cheap. If you get one with a good bore they can be very accurate. And with soft point ammo they are deadly for deer. PIC_0125.JPG
    PIC_0128.JPG

GOG, Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Why Thank you so very much Gentlemen, I sure you would do the same for a friend.

M.M. How did you mount a scope on yours ? I see the rail and is that a hex head ?

5. Minuteman

My magician of a gunsmith did all the work. He drilled and tapped the receiver for the mount and had to remake the bolt and weld it on again. That was the big job. The original is straight and it took some doing to cut it and make it where it would clear the mount.It functions flawlessly. He also shortened the barrel and reattached the front sight.
    The long barreled version was the sniper rifle of Soviet troops in WW2. I think they are model 91/30 or something like that. Vasily Zaitsev showed just how accurate and deadly they can be.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yes the 91/30 mfg. 1934 is one that I donated to the VFW hosting the event, Its the long one that when you attach the bayonet its close to 7'

Ammo is still cheap, 99.00 for 440 rds, You can shoot all day if your shoulder can manage ?

Minuteman likes this.
  7. Minuteman

Yep, the cost of ammo is a big plus. I have about $250 total in the gun. Not bad for a reliable meat getter. I used it until I unexpectedly acquired a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. It's perfect for the wooded areas where I normally hunt. It is a sledgehammer out to 150 yds. If I'm going to be in an area that I might have a longer shot then I grab the Mosin.

Georgia_Boy and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7