someone remind me, are we Global warming or cooling in 2008?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Iguanas fall from trees with cold snap

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - How cold was it in South Florida this week? So cold the iguanas fell from the trees.

The cold-blooded reptiles go into a deep sleep when the temperature falls into the 40s. Experts said their bodies basically shut off and they lose their grip on the tree.

But it isn't sudden death: Experts said the reptiles perk up when the temperatures rises. The iguanas turn a gray hue in the meantime.

Miami Metrozoo officials said the night cold causes the most drops.

"The worst part of the cold comes in the evening, and they literally just shut off," said Ron Magill, communications director for Miami Metrozoo. "Their bodies shut off and they lose their grip on the tree, and they start falling."

Temperatures hit the high 20s and low 30s this week in Florida during an unusual cold snap. While many of the iguanas will wake up, they could face death if low temperatures persist. Iguanas can sustain cold for between four and 10 hours before they have to wake up, Magill said.

"The populations have expanded so drastically (that) when we do experience a really good cold snap, it will kill off a lot of them," said Kenneth Krysko, a herpetologist at the Florida Museum of Natural History at the University of Florida. "It is a good thing. They're not native, and they're considered a nuisance."

2. ruzz

ruzz Rambler

Re: someone remind me, are we Global warming or cooling in 2

Actually global "warming" could very well lead to dramatic regional temperature and precipitation level drops. (Most especially if the ocean currants stall out) Thats what the real fear is, not so much any warming aspect (most people would welcome that :D) but the unpredictability.

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

They are already saying that it was so cold in 2008 that the lizards fell out of the trees.

4. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

And yet it is 40 and the snow is melting in Wisconsin, go figure

5. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

Just read this past week that we're actually now in a cooling cycle that could accelerate and then last a good 40-60 years (with rather severe cold, comparatively speaking). Apparently the scientific nitwits just realized we've been in "global warming" for well over a hundred years - well before mass industrialization could be blamed solely for the mess - and we're now in the downswing.

So, in plain language, the thinktanks are just realizing that (OR the media is just now admitting) what we common folk have noticed and known for a while.

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

That's why the proper PC buzzword now is . . . "Climate Change".

Which can take in ANYTHING the boffins want it to mean. Plays much better for their statistics and agenda.

7. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

See if they would just listen (sames goes for my DW) :-D This is just a natural cycle the Earth goes through

8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Evolution Of A Social Paradigm
    <HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1>[​IMG]

In the '70s we were told that the planet was massively cooling, an event that would likely lead to the end of mankind![​IMG]

In the '80s that kinda sputtered out. It was a good time to be alive. No forecasts for imminent armageddon.

In the '90s we were told that the earth was warming, and that man might be contributing to the cataclysm that was sure to follow.[​IMG]

Now it is the '00s, and not only is the earth warming, but the natural warming of the globe is now only an addition to the overall impact of man, whose activities must surely be the leading cause of the impending disaster.[​IMG]

This morning's Oregonian headline (P. A4):

"Nature Adds To Man-Made Melting"

Welcome to the new paradigm. Do you see a trend here?

9. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Yep I see a tend. THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE ^#*& they are talking about!!!!!!

OGM

10. slots

slots Monkey+++

Maybe, but the weather is changing. Whether the boffins are right or wrong on mankinds impact, overall, in so many ways, mankind is turning this planet into a wasteland. Water pollution, air polution, rainforest destruction, genetic manipulation of plants...the list goes on.

Its time to take a broader outlook. There is NO future for us if we carry on the way we are going. I wish there was a Smilie representing sticking your head in the sand and saying it's all bullshit..but there isn't.

I raise the flag instead:
    [BSf]

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Global warming is actually a loose term for the build up of CO2 in the atmosphere, which irradiates the suns heat both from the ionosphere, and traps in the refracted heat down toward the surface of the planet. This is also a two-way trip, so to speak. With erratic weather and massive cold fronts, coupled with typical solar radiation, winter will sometimes actually be much colder, and summer will sometimes be much hotter. These trends are unmistakable, and yet, the environmental globalists like Gore will certainly be the first on the podium to announce the end of days and offer their wise solution. The key to understanding all of this is recognizing that these cronies for power are not entirely wrong, as they offer both half-truths and factual data, which makes their purpose more credible to the experts.

The best way to wage a disinformation campaign is to plant a truth within the lie. This makes it more plausible, and easier to swallow.

12. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

1. DKR
  2. Meat
  3. oil pan 4
  4. Motomom34
  5. tacmotusn
  6. tacmotusn
  7. Seacowboys
  8. Quigley_Sharps
  9. Quigley_Sharps