Sotol

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Hispeedal2, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Yeah, sotol....
    [​IMG]

NO! NO! Not that one! This one...
    [​IMG]

This is a plant that you SW Monkeys should know about. It was the one of the main fire-making plants of the Apache.

While rabbit hunting with my little girl today, I decided to pull down a dead stalk and get to work. What I want to do is make a walking stick out of this stuff. I mean it's tough, light, and can make fire... what's not to like?

I have a nice piece for a good size walking stick for me and her. I had enough left over to practice with. I am attempting the hand drill as that is what the Apaches used. Well, about 30 minutes of hard work and all I have to show is a blister, a bit of smoke, and a lot of dust.

I have a strong background in the bow and drill and could this thing going in no time with a bow, but the challenger in me won't let me put aside the hand drill.

Tips??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Good one Bro.

Id be tempted to turn the fire board over and use the othere side.

I bet that drink is nice.[boozingbuddies]

3. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Anything else? I'll flip it and give it a run. I am giving the wood a bit of time too. It was a standing stalk, but clearly dead. Needless to say, wood dries super fast here.

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Still looking to for hand drill tips. Maybe I should change fireboard types. For a bow and drill, generally, the fireboard and spindle can be made of the same material. I am thinking of trying a harder fireboard and keeping the softer spindle.

Anyone have any tips for spindle length? The sotol spindle I am using I left long so I could get more friction between repositioning my hands.

5. Jeckyl

Jeckyl Monkey+

cool project.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7