SOUP's ON !

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, Feb 22, 2019.

1. I've got 10 pounds of prime pork in the crockpot with garlic, Honey, and Cajun seasoning. Slow cooking for the next 10 hours. will pull apart, and serve over a bed of wild rice...……… Going to be a LOOONG 10 hours.[lolol]

Hanzo, Dunerunner and Ganado like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

omg! pumpernickel bread fresh out of the oven! I'm hungry now!

Thanks Hanzo great pics and great broth!

Hanzo likes this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Do a search for bonito flakes. Probably Amazon might have it. The ones I used were from Okinawa, given to me by a student.

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Benjamin A. Wood likes this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

omg black garlic yum, I can never seem to make it right. Do you make your wontons or buy them? I can't make them so hoping for good spot to buy. I usually go to local Chinese or Asian food place.

Pho is still my favorite 'soup' it's more than soup but the broth .... yum!

Benjamin A. Wood likes this.
  6. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Great recipe VT but substitute the peas with butter beans and the pumpernickle with cathead biscuits. I know you just forgot to mention the onion and jalapeno. :)

VisuTrac and Ganado like this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

WARNING:
    For those with High blood pressure. Pho is a time bomb in restaurants.

a 16oz bowl has just under twice the recommended sodium for a normal person
    and over 3 times as much for a person on a sodium restricted diet.

Actually most soups (restaurant, or home soup starter kits in bags) will kick you over the limit.
    low sodium canned is better.
    just go ahead and make your own from ingredients that don't have any sodium is the best way to go as you can control what going into your body.

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

lol that is only of sodium is a problem for you.

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Sweet Potato and Coconut Milk with Brown Rice and Lentils

If I'm in a hurry I nuke the potatoes and just put them in the toaster over after cubing them.
    I use honey in the place of OJ

Slightly adapted from Sprouted Kitchen Bowl + Spoon. Serves 6.

• 2-3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
    • 2 TBS olive oil
    • sea salt and pepper to taste
    • 3 TBS coconut oil, divided
    • 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
    • 1 tsp ground turmeric
    • 1 TBS curry powder
    • 2 TBS freshly grated ginger (from a 1 inch piece of ginger)
    • 4 c. vegetable or chicken broth
    • 3/4 c. orange juice
    • 1 c. coconut milk
    • 2 large shallots, peeled and minced
    • 1 1/2 c. cooked black lentils
    • 3 c. cooked brown rice
    • yogurt, for serving
    • fresh minced cilantro, for serving
    1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Toss the sweet potatoes with the olive oil, salt, and pepper and spread out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast until tender when pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
    2. Melt 2 TBS of the coconut oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the turmeric, curry powder, and ginger and saute until fragrant, 2 minutes more. Add the roasted sweet potato and broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 2o minutes, then remove from heat and carefully transfer to a blender. Add the orange juice and coconut milk and blend until very smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set soup aside.
    3. In a small frying pan, melt the remaining 1 TBS of coconut oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked lentils and saute until crispy, another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
    4. Scoop a 1/2 cup of brown rice into each bowl. Pour soup over the rice, then top with lentils, yogurt, and cilantro.

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. rep1270

rep1270 Monkey+++

I make this at home but it can be made over a camp fire. Brown ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey, or whatever) add a can or two of French style green beans with liquid, a couple of bouillon cubes (I use Better than Bouillon, less salt) to taste and a package of noodles. Cook until the noodles are done as you want. Eat. There are many versions to this you can add most anything you want to it.
    Another is ground meat, a couple of cans of cream of mushroom soup and serve over rice or mashed potatoes or noodles. Again you can add anything you want to the ground meat. Ralph

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. JC Refuge
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Dunerunner
  10. RJFab
  11. Coyote Ridge
  12. duane
  13. TnAndy
  14. JrOrtiz
  15. toolbelt99
  16. Dunerunner
  17. ditch witch
  18. john316
  19. Ganado
  20. UncleMorgan