Spam and Scams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Nov 1, 2008.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Here we are, our little Survival Monkey community floating around in the giant WWW, and yet the number of spammers and scammers who try to join our group is amazing. Most of you never read their garbage because we check out the IP's, email address, and usernames as they are joining. There are tools available to do this checking but it takes time and patience. I'm proud that very few of them ever get the chance to post. The mods keep a list of banned spammers and in the past few months, we have added about 300 to the list.

I guess this is just a warning to members in general - when traving the web, beware. We all know this but even some innocent sounding messages and sites can lead us to a fraudulent scheme. Always use caution and remember to report any suspicious posts to the mods. We want to keep our community as safe and sane as possible - well, safe anyway.

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

[boozingbuddies][clp]:DThanks guys!!! I for one; appreciate it when spammers get the smack down around here...[banghead][smsh][axe]

3. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

[chopper]

4. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

You guys are doing a bang up job! [beer]

Many thanks for keeping this a wonderful place to be!

Byte

5. Jonas Parker

Jonas Parker Hooligan

You mean I didn't win $220,000,000 in the Nigerian Lottery? Drat!

6. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

But the check is to be "certified" ...

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

thanks to all the mods and admins for keeping the monkey free from the scammers!!

On another note, I got a call this past Saturday. It was one of those pre-recorded things that I normally hangup on, but I decided to hear it out. It said "as you know interest rates on on the rise, please stay on the line if you would like to lock your CC rate in at 6.5%." So I waited. Then a lady answered and asked if I wanted to lock in my CC rate at 6.5%. Here's the conv:
    ME: sure, what do I have to do?
    Scammer: I just need to get some information from you.
    ME: Ok, I just have one question first
    Scammer: OK?
    ME: What CC company is this? you see, I don't have any open CC accounts so I just want to know who this is?
    Scammer: "click" (she hung up)

Afterwerds I was thinking I should have strung her along a little more. Oh well, next time ;)

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Great job, Mods! I hardly ever see the fools on here.

I had a similar phone-scam the other day. I strung her along a bit, then requested HER name and company for my report to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. She hung up PDQ. [ROFL]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7