Spanish Flu Pandemic of 1918 General Question- Will Be Ordering this Book as Well

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by ED GEiN, Apr 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Are we equipped to do large scale quarantining today? I've got to laugh (not at you) about short term travel as it seems like by law the airlines are forced to take any sick person/person displaying sickness aboard a flight. Thank you political correctness! I still remember to this day, I took a flight back from London to the US that was totally full and this obviously sick guy from Africa sitting in back of me was coughing non-stop the entire 10 hour flight. I've never been so angry and furious in my life. I got home and was sick for 2 weeks and wrote a letter to the airlines and they sent me a $100 discount voucher on any future trip! Whoopee!

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A prepared man would have a plastic bag to climb into....
    [​IMG]
    .....almost any crazy belief seems to be accommodated these days.....
    Pictured: Orthodox Jewish man covers himself in PLASTIC BAG during flight | Daily Mail Online

ED GEiN and Motomom34 like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

ED GEiN likes this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I think he may have had cabin crew assistance....it was an Air Al flight supposedly....pity they didn't make the bag air tight...some silly religious observances invite consequences for the observant. I pity the passengers on the outside of him, in the event of an emergency evacuation...

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

While out and about yesterday, I saw an Asian boy wearing a mask. It seems odd to see that in this country but in Japan, that was not unusual to see. Re: spreading of germs, most Americans think that if they use hand sanitize that they are fine. It is wrong.

6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Like this?
    [​IMG]
    I thought it was because of the horrible pollen levels....

7. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I read somewhere that the 1918 influenza killed more men on the troop ships than died in battle once they arrived in Europe.

8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

"Influenza and pneumonia killed more American soldiers and sailors during the war than did enemy weapons."

Yes you did - The U.S. Military and the Influenza Pandemic of 1918–1919

Overview of paper

The American military experience in World War I and the influenza pandemic were closely intertwined. The war fostered influenza in the crowded conditions of military camps in the United States and in the trenches of the Western Front in Europe. The virus traveled with military personnel from camp to camp and across the Atlantic, and at the height of the American military involvement in the war, September through November 1918, influenza and pneumonia sickened 20% to 40% of U.S. Army and Navy personnel. These high morbidity rates interfered with induction and training schedules in the United States and rendered hundreds of thousands of military personnel non-effective. During the American Expeditionary Forces' campaign at Meuse-Argonne, the epidemic diverted urgently needed resources from combat support to transporting and caring for the sick and the dead. Influenza and pneumonia killed more American soldiers and sailors during the war than did enemy weapons.

1. chelloveck
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. DarkLight
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Motomom34
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. Silversnake
  11. CATO
  12. TillamookTom